Home projects for winter, more bright ideas in the mid-at

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

ssg, don't feel too bad. We have parked on the front lawn at times (I don't like it, you know how small my front lawn is, thankfully hedges on both sides hide it a bit) and we have an ersatz slab in back for one car plus another on the grass has now made a dirt patch.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Believe it or not that crazy link works. LOL

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol, that's gotta be the longest link ever!

Ric, I think that would look nice if both parking pads were of the same material, but since we already had a concrete driveway, we decided to just add another concrete pad. Also, since DH *rarely* mows the lawn, the grass between the pavers could end up looking... rather disastrous!

Btw, the concrete parking pad is finished! We actually ended up going with the cheapest quote after talking to my neighbor who had hired this guy before. She had recommended him to 3 of her friends, who all said he did a great job for them. We saved $1100. I just hope it was the right long-term decision.

I forgot to take a before pic!

those permeable paving systems look interesting but they really haven't caught on in this area, that I know of. And how would you shovel the drive in winter?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Be rich like Dan Snyder, his nearly quarter mile stone block driveway is heated.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Whoa, that sentence took a long while for my brain to comprehend. His driveway is heated??!! D:

I've heard of heated gutters, but not heated driveways!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

So I have on good authority.

adding to my dream house design- heated permeable driveway...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Don't forget to heat the walkways also. No shoveling ever. LOL

Oh yeah, good point. Cuz I do like a bit of winter now and then.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

How about a vacuum tube at the mailbox so you don't have to go out for the mail? And perhaps mature landscaping brought in from all over. 40' trees with root balls the size of a garage.

((coffee spit-take)) hahaha

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

First on my list if I hit the lottery is deer fencing around several acres. Second on my list is a heated driveway on the steep sloped part between the creek and the circle up by the house. I am so aggravated with the deer and so tired of dealing with that part of the driveway in winter, so I have thought about those two unbelievably expensive wishes for years LOL. I notoriously don't care about the mail in the mailbox, but I'm sure I could think of some creative use for that vacuum tube idea :-)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

For you Aspen, you'd need a teleporter to get to your mailbox...LOL. Of course I'm assuming it's at the street. You're thinking too small anyway. If you were super rich, you could heat the WHOLE driveway and parking pad.

:-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Terri---
I know I sound like an old bell---BUT--please ger a bag or two--or three
of MILORGANITE and sprinkle it all over the deer entry areas.
It is NOT used to keep deer away (besides fertilizing your lawn)--
it is also known to DETER deer from entering this "marked" zone.
The deer smell the "human waste" in this product and they do not like it.

The 35lb. bag of Milorganite costs ONLY $12.78 per bag.
You will find it in the lawn fertilizer aisle at the HD.

I SOOOO believe in this product!!! Been using it for 3 years--my lawn is superb!

http://www.milorganite.com/Professionals/Golf-and-Athletic-Fields/Why-Milorganite

http://www.planetnatural.com/product/milorganite-lawn-fertilizer/

Gita

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Personally, I prefer to do the free option....

J/K!!! ;-P

why kid?
Especially when you have a big private property like aspenhill...!

But they'd have a hard time covering all the entry points to all those acres of woods.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yep, Mike helps out with the free way all the time. I do once in a while too lol. Still not enough to make a dent stopping the deer damage. I am sitting at the tire shop waiting to have a flat tire changed. It went flat right near the shopping center where the shop is located. Mike was nearby and tried to change it, but he couldn't budge the lug nuts so here I sit. How does anyone actually use their phone for email, web browsing, DG, etc??? It drives me nuts! The screen is too small, enlarging means constant scrolling back and forth, and my fingers are too fat for typing... just doing this post has passed the time while I am waiting, but I could never see myself using the phone for my primary access!!!

This message was edited May 7, 2015 7:59 AM

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL~! Sally, you're funny. Glad someone gets my demented sense of humor.

Haha, you make me smile Terri. Not having skinny fingers can be tough. I have fat thumbs though but hold my own. I don't like turning the phone to the side. I prefer to use my left thumb and right index to type on the phone. The auto correct software takes care of the rest.

Gee Terri, don't they have all sorts of fascinating magazines around? (kidding) I HATE having to wait and not have my own preferred reading material. Yes, the phone is very hard to use for web.

I better update this thread- very long..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1393581/

Please go there

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.