i have 2 unknown plants...can someone identify them?

Davie, FL(Zone 10b)

these 2 plants were interesting to me when sprouting randomly in my area...so i moved them into pots of their own which they have been doing well so far...i had them on my patio & since they are a little bigger i want them outside but i don't know if they should be in full sun or partial since i don't know what they are...so can anyone help me figure them out?

i hope the first is some kind of flower...& i'm guessing the second one is some kind of tree due to it's now starting to grow a bark like surface at it's base

Thumbnail by Adrastia217 Thumbnail by Adrastia217 Thumbnail by Adrastia217 Thumbnail by Adrastia217
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

First one looks like ragweed (Ambrosia)

Davie, FL(Zone 10b)

thanks!...i looked up the ragweed...it's interesting...i wonder what brought it to my yard...i never seen a plant like that anywhere else near my house...but what should i do w/ it?...it looks like a weed that people probably wouldn't want...same time i kinda don't want to kill it since i went through the trouble of putting it in a pot to survive...i guess i'll leave it in the pot for now

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Not sure about the first one, but the second sort of looks like a magnolia. I'd let that one keep growing, I don't think it is a weed.

Davie, FL(Zone 10b)

thanks...that'd be so awesome if so...i've been wanting one of those trees

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

You could let them both grow and see what they become (I doubt the second one is Magnolia but it does looks like some kind of evergreen shrub which may be invasive or a desired plant). Ragweed is everywhere so seeds can pop up anywhere. The ragweed flowers are very small but you will see the flowering stalk which will have dozens of tiny flowers (hence all the pollen) and it is an allergy sufferer's worst nightmare in the late summer/early fall. Goldenrod often gets the blame for allergies/hay fever in the fall as it blooms around the same time as ragweed which is inconspicuous with its tiny blooms.

There are two types of ragweed - giant (totally different leaf shape and also very tall) and then there is common ragweed which your photo looks like. There are similar shaped leaves such as a very tall Cosmos I had a few years ago - looked so much like ragweed but I let it go until it bloomed which was indeed Cosmos but other plants close by turned out to be Ragweed - time for the hoe!

http://wildeherb.com/2008/08/11/giant-and-common-ragweed-made-for-sneezing/

Here is a photo of Giant Ragweed on a trail we walked last fall. It must be 8 feet tall at this time.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Davie, FL(Zone 10b)

oh wow...ragweed gets big...i'm glad that so far i'm only allergic to one kind of pollen & that comes from some tree (that i forget the name of)...but thanks for the info...i think now i'm just curious if the plant will bother anyone in my household if it reaches it's blooming stage...maybe if i move it to the front yard it'll help keep some dog walking neighbors away from my lawn when it goes in bloom...lol...just kidding...i really don't want to make people sick

Adrastia, post the plants in the ID forum, they're really great at helping with plant ID. I'd be curious of what the second plant is.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/

Davie, FL(Zone 10b)

Ok...sure thing...sry i posted it here...i didn't know the plant id forum existed when i posted this here...lol...I'm still new to the forums

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Take my word you do not want to be around when the ragweed blooms. I hate them.
You can become allergic to a plant if you are around it.

Davie, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks...Yea I'm going to get rid of it...i need the pot anyways for some new baby crepe myrtle trees i got to grow

Davie, FL(Zone 10b)

This plant that i posted months ago is now bigger & looks very different...it's even sprouting flower buds...i still have no idea what it is...& i am so sorry for the sideways pictures...my phone wouldn't cooperate with me

Thumbnail by Adrastia217 Thumbnail by Adrastia217 Thumbnail by Adrastia217 Thumbnail by Adrastia217

Wow, how neat, I still have no idea what that plant is, but now that the leaves are showing their shape and once the flower opens the Plant ID people will know what it is. Looks like a fast grower too.

(Zone 9a)

That one is likely a Jatropha integerrima.

I do believe ardesia is right, I kept trying to think where I've seen that shaped leaf before and Jatropha does have leaves like that. Good thing you saved it.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/287578/#b

Davie, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks!...Yea i found out that has to be it...there were a bunch of those trees yards away from this seedling when i uprooted it...I'm so happy cause i actually tried to grow that same tree from a seed...twice & failed...so i was excited to realize what this is

Awww, that's neat, you have been rewarded after all, enjoy you new plant, sure looks like a healthy one. ☺

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Now that it's bigger looks like one of the species of jatropha I have. If the blooms are red and then you get little green balls of oil on it it's jatropha.

Sure is fun to see what some plants become.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.