FIRST FLOWERS OF SPRING 2015!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1380666/

Here is my first flower of the 2015 season. It beat out this one yellow one that is usually the first. I don't know the name of this one.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

thanks for the update. It seems like of the basic mixed crocus I have, that yellow are first. All my crocus and snowdrops are lying in wait.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah most of ours are too. It's snowing and sleeting here today. We have about 1 1/2" of snow and it just started sleeting. You got to love micro climates though as the area where this crocus is gets very little snow and if it does get any, it's quickly melted.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

snow drops start here late Nov. Helebore early Jan.

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice, are those pics from yesterday?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

HaHa, I wish! Pics are from early Jan when helebore bloomed.
I'm about 6 " snow covered here for past 2 weeks. Not much chance for crocus to to show through. Glad for snow cover during relentless arctic blasts!
Azalea bushes have lost most of their leaves but twigs are green inside so am hopeful for a full flush of new leaves just no 'predicting' when as 'usually' seems to be an evermore distant and irrelevant reference point for gardening around here!

This spring may not be so much of a season progressing to summer as a series of fleeting moments.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well we'll see I suppose. It does look like it's going to get nicer next week. An extended period of 40 degree temps will sure feel like summer. Too bad 40s are just average for this time...Lol

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Lucky you to see a crocus! The snow has just melted enough for me to see the tips of daffodils I've been tromping on.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Lucky you, Seq!

We've had a *lot* of snow in my area, and there's still quite a bit of snow left on the ground, even in my very sunny backyard. The crocus that I posted a few weeks ago are under several inches of snow. I can't even see the tops of the hellebore leaves.

I read today that the East Coast had a record cold winter and the West has had a record warm one. Over at ATP, daffodil and early tulip pics are being posted from the Pacific Northwest. And people in MN were concerned that they had so little snow cover this winter to protect their plants.

At this rate, all of the spring bulbs are going to bloom at once in a 2 week period! I really prefer to see the bloom period spread out.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

It will sure be interesting. It will feel like it's 100 degrees on the first day that cracks 50. My Southern Mag 'BBB' has a bunch of sun toasted leaves. Luckily, I don't think the NS hollies got as sun toasted as they did last year. I'm excited to see how the 1000 bulbs look that I planted last fall.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

50 + degrees is the normal temps around here. We have been below normal all winter.

Just for a reference I went back through our First Flowers of Spring thread from last year.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1351189/

Jeff, it looks like your crocus is a reliable herald of Spring! Must be something other than just Southern exposure contributing to that microclimate! Can you give a breakdown of your 1,000 bulbs? Thanks

When do you all feed your bulbs, other than when you plant them?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah I don't know what it is about that area. It's southern exposure plus the overhang of our bi-level keeps it dry so last year I made a xeric garden out of it with some natives from the rockies.

1000 bulbs was just last year's planting. We have about another 350 or so from the year before that and some more from prior years. I'd say we're sitting at 1500 now. Here's what I planted last fall; luckily I have a spreadsheet for that.

Allium tall 'Purple Sensation' 25
Allium miniature 'Azureum' 50
Allium 'Moly' 25
Amaryllis, Red Pearl 1
Crocus species 'Tricolor' 25
Purple Snow Crocus 25
Giant Mixed Crocus 25
Narcissi bunch flowering 'Martinette' 50
Narcissi large cupped 'Decoy' 25
Narcissi miniature 'Rapture' 50
Narcissi small-cupped 'Altruist' 40
Narcissi small-cupped 'Misty Glen' 40
Narcissi trumpet 'Tropical Sunset' 50
Narcissus 'Golden Echo' 25
Narcissus 'Quail' 50
Narcissus 'Suzy' 25
Geranium Daffodil 5
Narcissus 'Professor Einstein' 5
Dutch Master Daffodil 40
Dutch Iris Eye of the Tiger 40
Dutch Iris Red Ember 20
Dutch Iris Early Royal Dwarf 25
Dutch Iris Mystic Beauty 12
Asiatic Lily Orange Electric 5
Heirloom Species Lily leichtlinii 5
Asiatic Lily Royal Sunset 3
Oriental Lily Tessala 1
Asiatic Lily Eremo 1
Triteleia 'Rudy' 25
Calochortus Mixed 20
Sparaxis Celebration Mix 10
Camassia (Wild Hyacinth) 25
Gavota Triump Tulip 10
Apricot Impression Darwin Hybrid Tulip 10
Blueberry Ripple Triumph Tulip 5
Mariette Lily Flowering Tulip 5
Burgundy Lily Flowering Tulip 5
Exotic Emperor Tulip 10
Purissima Tulip 14
Passionale Triumph Tulip 10
Pretty Princess Triumph Tulip 10
Ronaldo Triumph Tulip 10
Don Quichotte Triumph Tulip 10
Orange Emperor Tulip 25
Algarve Single EarlyTulip 10
Daydream Darwin Hybrid Tulip 10
Lambada Fringed Tulip 10
Pittsburg Triumph Tulip 10
Candy Apple Delight Darwin Hybrid Tulip 10
Tulipa clusiana Tinka 10

We also have:
25 more Geranium Daffs
25 Triumph mixed tulips
25 Mixed misc tiny tulips
50 Jetfire Daffs
25 Thalia Daffs
200 mixed snow crocus
25 Tete a tete Daffs
25 Salome Daffs

I know others have a lot more but we only have 1/4 acre. I'm excited to see all these guys come up this year.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I'm excited with you!! I sooooo want to see some RIGHT NOW!! I also would like to be on a warm beach somewhere

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan, you're pretty great 😃

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

It has changed to sleet here, after 2" of rain which has most everything under water. 8-14" of snow is scheduled to accumulate between now and tomorrow morning.

I hope you make that flight...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah have fun with all that VV. I saw that you were going to get hammered with rain but to get all that snow on top of it is crazy. I'm at the airport now thinking how glad I am that we are leaving now and not tomorrow. Just a few more hours now and I'll be in palm tree weather.

And now we have snow falling - glad the sleet didn't last long.

Here are my flowering plants - such as they are. These are several Hamamelis x intermedia hybrids, including 'Primavera', 'Moonlight' (with persistent leaves), and 'Westerstede'.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice flowers VV! I love hamamelis and can't wait for ours to get going. I think we will need to at least get to average temps tho first

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

The changeover occurred about 7am. Here are my flowers. What? You say you can't see any? Hehehehe. Neither can I!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by Jan23
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice Jan 😃

I'm going to hijack my thread and post pics of our cruise since I have no flowers yet. This is the view out our balcony towards the front of the ship. And the second is out the back from the cafe.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

What's that blue stuff in the upper portions of your photos?

Haha again David!

What Jeff, no potted orchids or anthuriums on the ship anywhere?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha David, you're the second one who's asked me that today. So far all the flowers on the ship have been fake.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

FAKE??!!! Say it ain't so!

Have a WONDERFUL getaway!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks! We set sail at 430 so pretty soon I'll be out of internet range but I do plan on getting online at some point.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are a couple photos from our balcony now that we've taken off

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4

I may have been hallucinating, but I think I saw a bit of that blue today...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

You want blue?

Thumbnail by sallyg

My first flower of meteorological spring is indoors

My first flower of meteorological spring is indoors
What the hey?? Wont upload. Streptocarpus

Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

...and now it's there in triplicate, in lovely contrast to the snow outside. That's a really pretty pink color.

Oh brother. The last is dogwood buds wearing hats for the cold.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

If there's one consolation, it's that shrubs and trees didn't start to flower before this last storm.
I knocked snow off most of the evergreens yesterday. So far the only damage has been to Magnolia 'Little Gem', which lost a branch.

Foot's Forecsst pointed out the we have seen snow on each of the last two March 25ths...

sallyg = DebbieDowner...

Meanwhile, I'm still recovering from that bit of shoveling yesterday. Nothing is too good for Mrs. VV - even the lateral movement of 3600 ft³ of snow so that her chariot can whisk her to work.

1. Another greeting card for Gita

2. Maybe this will give Jeff goose-bumps

3. Pushmi-pullyu farm for rejects

4. All we are is ducks in the mist...

5. San Andreas Farm

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I see the ducks and the geese, but I have to ask about your descriptions for 3 and 5. I know they must be creative...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh...so some of the horses are rejects because they're joined at the head rather than at the rear?!

I thought all those were clear as muddy1...

3. Borrowed from unedited Wiki entry:

Quoting:
The pushmi-pullyu (pronounced "push-me—pull-you") is a "gazelle-unicorn cross" which has two heads (one of each) at opposite ends of its body. In The Story of Doctor Dolittle, the grateful monkeys in Africa persuade it to accompany Dr. Dolittle to England to earn money for him (in Doctor Dolittle's Circus and Doctor Dolittle's Caravan.) The pushmi-pullyu usually only uses one of its heads to talk, reserving the other for eating (thus allowing it to eat while speaking without being rude) and claims that its' great-grandfather was the last unicorn.

In the 1967 film, the pushmi-pullyu was instead portrayed as a double-headed llama. The doctor can immediately speak to the pushmi-pullyu, knowing that llamas speak a dialect of camel language.

The image captures some animals (rejects) with rear ends at each end of their bodies - and they're not even llamas.

5. I'll have to go dig up my old Geology 503 notes to remember whether it is P-waves or S-waves that give the rollercoaster effect versus the compression effect. Either way: you've never been to the Earthquake Trail? Get thee to Point Reyes National Seashore!

http://www.nps.gov/pore/learn/nature/geologicactivity.htm

I really like it when the "Ah Ha!" moment strikes - but not after chasing down the research...then losing an entire epistle and having to start over again...and then after posting the piéce de la resistance finding out I missed the Ah Ha moment.

Thanks, sallyg, for the assist. I want that cute doll.

Edited to give credit where credit is due...

This message was edited Mar 6, 2015 7:56 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images