FIRST FLOWERS OF SPRING 2015!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

P-waves = compression (Push-Pull)
S-waves = up and down (Shake) (like shaking a rope)

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

And another assist!

That's not in the Roadside Geology book - still on loan...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

They were about as clear as mud ; - )

What caught my eye on San Andreas Farm was the crack in the snow perpendicular to the fence, which I thought could be compared to a fault line by someone with your wild imagination. Is that a stream or did some escaped pushmi-pullyus create it?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I think VV was seeing "S" waves in the undulations of the long fence line of the San Andreas Farm.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

....which I'm guessing is not called San Andreas Farm : - )

VV, you're right, I should go to Point Reyes National Seashore: http://www.nps.gov/pore/learn/nature/birds.htm

I think that was a line of taller grasses along a swale. No streams in the middle of that field, though.

I'll work on my metaphors...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Please don't; this has been entertaining!

And, I learned about Point Reyes, which "With nearly 490 species recorded (over 50% of species of birds in North America), Point Reyes National Seashore easily claims the prize for the greatest avian diversity in any U.S. national park. The species total here, in fact, is larger than the species total in each of forty of the United States."

Mrs. VV and I visited Point Reyes back in 1997 during our 10th anniversary get away. California's happiest cows live there. It has a great little lighthouse, the Earthquake Trail - and very little else. We like remote. Someday I'll get all those slides scanned.

I have always been a big fan of geology and the Earth it has wrought. I also appreciate all things landscape, and the California coast has something new around every turn.

Go for the backwash; stay for The Birds...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

VV--

Geology was my all time favorite classes I ever took. It was so fascinating
that my brain riveted on every fact the professor presented.
We had a quiz every class--which reinforced what we had learned.
I think one of the most intersting things were how you can look at a chunk of stone
and see the history of a million years in it. Or--look in the distance--and have to
verbally reconstruct what had happened to the earth there over the Eons.
I got straight A's in this class.

Small, funny story.

Our class had gone to the Harpers Fairy area. We all had assembled at a road-cut
of solid stone besides a busy road with our little hammers in hand and were chopping
away in search or garnets when a car pulled beside us and the man leaned out and
said: "When are you going to move that thing"? :o)

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Good ! I can show all you geologists some black rocks I dug up in my yard recently so you can tell me what they are. I also find marble quite often, but maybe that's not unusual for this area.

Sequoia, we've hijacked your thread; maybe we can get back on topic a week or so after the snow melts. My front bed is covered in 2-3' of snow, so I might not see bare ground until April.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I goggled black rocks and there is a site that gives names.

http://geology.about.com/od/mineral_ident/tp/Black-Minerals.htm

The only one I could think of was obsidian--I think that comes from
cooled lava. Very shiny.

G.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I wouldn't have noticed the flowers on my Hamamelis vernalis if I hadn't been close enough to see the bees buzzing around it (not shown in photo; they moved too quickly). They seemed very happy to have found some food!

Thumbnail by Muddy1
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

nice; looks like they'll have more days this week to enjoy it.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

The dead leaves really detract from the spring display, but at least this very tall shrub has lovely yellow fall foliage, blocks the view of a neighbor's house and helps the early pollinators.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey guys, I'm back in the USA. Thanks for keeping up the thread while I was gone. VV you've got some nice pictures there. We have a lot of time to kill in the airport since our flight doesn't leave til 835 tonight. We had a great time on our cruise and Darcy's parents really enjoyed themselves on their first cruise. I took most of my pics on my camera but here are a couple from my phone. I'm told that all 9" of snow has melted since Thursday so I shouldn't have to clean the car off when we get back to Baltimore.

Pic 2 is Darcy and I with our cabin steward 'Sparky'
Pic 3 is Darcy and I with our junior waiter Agnelo
Pic 4 is an intriguing flower in Cozumel.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds like you had a great cruise. What a beautiful flower, What you didn't bring home a cutting. LOL

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Looks like a great time was had by all, and you sure did pick the perfect time to leave and come home again.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yep, perfect timing!! Looking forward to hearing all about it. Glad the inlaws enjoyed themselves.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I can tell by your huge grins that you had a great time!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol I'm pretty sure that Customs would have had my rear if I brought a cutting. Hopefully our flight is on time. Things seem to be backing up in our terminal.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yes they would and it would have been a very expensive cutting, too.

Quote from Muddy1 :
I can tell by your huge grins that you had a great time!

I agree!! You guys looks great! Whoa, a TIE!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol, yup a tie. Even I can clean up a bit. Since I've discovered fun dress socks I no longer dread dressing up.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Welcome back, Jeff! I'm in desperate need of a tropical vacation!

I took these crocus pics in the morning and again at the end of the day. I think they've been waiting to pop out for weeks!

This message was edited Mar 10, 2015 6:28 AM

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener

lovely sight, ssg!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

What a welcome sight SSG! A few more of our crocuses have begun to bloom since we left but I didn't take any pics today because it was cloudy and they weren't open.

I got my pics loaded up so I'll post some.

Sunset the first night
Looking down on the 5th deck from one of the upper decks
My lovely wife and I
Our first towel critter
In port at Cozumel with the Brilliance of the Seas on our left

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

The Carnival Magic coming in to port at Cozumel
Pic of the main dining room from our 4th deck table - we really had a money table
Moon
In Cozumel the Liberty on left and Brilliance on right
At the Hard Rock in Cozumel

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

The Explorer of the Seas passing us
Darcy and I at dinner
The Brilliance leaving in Cozumel
Overlook of the Promenade from 7th deck
View up to 13th deck from 7th deck

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Holland America's Noordam in Ft. Lauderdale
Royal Princess in port at Ft. Lauderdale
Legend of the Seas at Ft. Lauderdale
Another towel creature
Our last selfie on the boat

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Looks like a great vaca!!!! What ship did you cruise? The little towel creatures are so fun!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

We cruised the Liberty of the Seas. I liked them too although I wasn't sure what the first one was..lol

Great pictures Jeff! Darcy is lovely, and you..well I think you own TWO ties, maybe three!

thinking the first critter is a crab.could be wrong!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Seq, the first creature is obviously a crab! :) Your vacation pictures are the next best thing to spring bloom pictures!

I'm surprised at the lack of hellebores blooms. Mine are usually super early bloomers, so they're at least a month behind, and I'm still seeing nada. :/

Any hellebore sightings anywhere?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--

The magnitude of everything is mind-boggling...
How do you find your way?

The 2nd picture in your first set looks like something from outer space!

Towel creatures? I would not want to take one apart,,,they are too cute.
What a fun idea....

Welcome back! Gita

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah the towel creatures were pretty cool. The second one we got, which was a pig, right after I took the pic with Darcy holding it, she dropped it on the floor...Lol

The ship is laid out real simply so it's not too hard to navigate around. It also helps I was on a similar ship 10 years ago.

Geez SSG, your Hellebores must be really early. Mine don't start doing much until the end of March or so. Mine are in a colder microclimate though so that might have something to do with it.

Sally, I'll have you know that I actually brought 4 ties on the cruise, one for each night ;-P

"...~~cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man..~~~!"

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehehe. Maybe some day we'll get back on a cruise. It's fun. Most likely it will be Freedom of the Seas. Our DIL's mother won a contest and she is the godmother of that ship. When they have the anniversary of its inaugural cruise they will be on board and hopefully we will join them. She gets treated royally. So we are looking for the trickle-down effect. Heehee.
Jeff had fun skating while onboard.

If you will, please pray for or think about our 8yr old grandy, Luke. He fell out of his bunk bed last night and is hurting. His daddy will probably take him to the doctor. I'll get Thomas for the day, cuz Rachel was called in to substitute today. Pray for her also. She is anxious about Luke. Thanks

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Aww...poor little Luke. Any word if he broke anything?

We missed the free skating on board but we did see the ice show and it was amazing. The performers were really good. That's really cool your DIL's mom is the godmother, the Freedom is a sister ship to the Liberty.

Lol Sally!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

He ended up going to school late. Just sore. It's the same bed his daddy fell out of when he was little.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well it's good to hear he is okay. Hopefully he doesn't fall out again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.