FIRST FLOWERS OF SPRING 2015!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

good news about Luke!

We all really enjoyed all the shows on Royal Caribbean- me, Mark, kids 13,17 and 19. Even a 13 yr old boy got into the 'special' ness of fancy dinner

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

You all are an uncommon few that's for sure. I was surprised at how many people dress like slobs going to dinner in the main dining room. Seriously, a decent handful would wear jeans and a polo. I even saw some college kid walk through in a t-shirt, cargo shorts, and skate shoes.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Shorts and t-shirt for dinner?! I remember there being a dress code for dinner, at least on some of the nights. Maybe it was just for some of the dining rooms.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks, guys. Luke is sleeping on the bottom for a few nights. They'll keep a watch on him.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Luke must be the acorn - from his dad's oak tree...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah there is a dress code on all nights but no one says anything because they don't want to upset their customers I guess.

Jan, can they put up some sort of barrier to keep him from falling out. I know some bunks have rails on the side of the top one.

Especially funny if the bunk beds are oak!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan take a pool noodle and put it on the mattress and pull the fitted bottom sheet over it. Makes a little bumper at the edge.
http://lifehacker.com/5929887/keep-kids-from-falling-out-of-bed-with-pool-noodles

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Great idea, Holly. Just enough to create a little barrier. They took the rail off cuz he would kick it off. Just like his father did.

Their personalities are quite different, though. Hehehe. Luke is VERY intense!!!! Sad to say. It's hard to be around him sometimes.

my snowdrops are blooming! and one crocus bud seen yesterday

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I am going out right now and finding something in bloom---

Brrrrrrr.....Chilly out there! This is it--nothing else...:o(

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oooohh....Lookin good G!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was out looking and found just one little crocus. I know there will be more soon.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I have some itty bitty crocus blooming (yellow and purple). While I was out walking yesterday saw a yard with many purple crocus blooming in the yard, very springy . Also saw some snow drops in another yard.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice Catbird! I planted some cheapy HD crocus in the yard last fall as an experiment to see if lawn chemicals will kill them but none have bloomed yet.

Our Hamamelis x intermedia 'Arnold's Promise' are starting to bloom. I didn't take pics yet because I wanted them to be in full bloom first. I did sneak a whiff on Tuesday though, and it was pretty great.

'Arnold Promise', you say...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Got to love the cut and paste nature of some plant creations these days. Nice to see as a novelty but I'll stick to my shrub form :)

It would be nice to see one of those full grown though.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

We have a lone snowdrop blooming and there are thumbnail-size buds on the hellebores. I can wait a bit and am just delighted that the snow is finally gone.

It's interesting how some of my hellebores stayed completely evergreen with no damage to the leaves, while others look so ratty and black that all the leaves need to pruned out.

I'm loving these pictures of winter aconites on ATP. I hear they're difficult to get established so I haven't taken the plunge. Is anyone seeing eranthis blooms?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

My aconites have not woken up yet. I got a clump from Happy last spring but I had a couple of my own too. I'm hoping the seeds from last years will germinate.

Check out my first rabbit of spring :)

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

From last Monday - first bee of the year on Diane. By Tuesday, the tree was covered with honey bees.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Those 'Arnold Promise' are top-grafted on Parrotia persica. It is an easy way to make a small tree out of a Witch-hazel selection, without having to pay too much attention to what might be suckering from the base (like another species of Witch-hazel).

Ha, seq!

Excellent photo Loretta!

Crocus tomasinnianus covered in purple bud today, just waiting for some sun.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice photo Loretta! Bees are a memory from the distant past it seems.

I hear you on those crocus buds Sally. Just waiting for some sun indeed.

I was wondering what root stock they were using there VV. I've never heard of that tree before but it's nice :)

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I was wondering how they did such a good job of making trees out of 'Arnold Promise' shrubs.

The reticulated iris is now in bloom!

Last year the crocuses were done by the time the ret irises were blooming. I like how they look together.

It's so warm outside today!

Thumbnail by ssgardener
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I don't see any, yet. They are such pretty little things!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow! Nice Iris. Mine haven't even cracked the soil yet. All I have are a few crocus and our Witchazel, which I keep forgetting to photograph.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beautiful shot, ssgardener! Mine are just coming up.
Thank you Sally and Sequoiadendron4. The following day, the tree was covered with honeybees.
Sallyg, is it true what they say about Crocus tomasinnianus? Does anything eat them?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nothing eats Tommies? Even rabbits??

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

All I have blooming is also just my Crocus.
These must be a wild variety--they are very small--and spread all over.
In my lawn--further into this bed, etc.

Very pretty, though--when there is NO other color.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks good G! I've been searching for the ones I planted in the grass last fall and there is no sign of them yet.

gorgeous together ssg.

Loretta, I don't know- with a german shepherd, I don't seem to have rabbits hangng around much

Seq, I still haven' seen any dutch crocus.

Gita, maybe you picked up some species crocus along the way there, such as tomassinianus.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I guess they are dutch crocus. I forgot about that. I forgot they weren't snow crocus.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I got two more rabbits yesterday!!! I'm up to 3 now, which is great.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful SSG, my reticulated iris bloom much later than my crocus. My tommies are up too.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Wascally wabbits. Easter isn't too far off, are you sure you don't want to keep them around and say that they are Easter bunnies :)

A few snowdrops are blooming at my place, but only a few - the rest will probably pop shortly. Nothing else is blooming yet though. I'm looking forward to the hellebores.

Thank you, all! I think our cold February pushed back the crocuses blooms and helped the two bloom together. I can't wait for my crocuses to get as dense as Gita's!

Jill, how's your crocus lawn doing? Do you have any pictures?

I planted quite a few crocuses out on the front lawn last fall but only about 15 are blooming right now. The white blooms actually look like bits of paper trash. :/ I do want to plant more crocuses out front, but no more white for me!

Seq, what are you doing with the rabbits you catch?

This message was edited Mar 18, 2015 7:15 AM

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...NO EASTER BUNNIES!

These last 3 have been taken to a nice spot 3.3 miles away. In order to get back here, the rabbits are going to have to cross a bunch of open farm fields so I figure I'm good. This is the same spot I took the 4 baby rabbits last year. There's a stream and woodsy area with a bunch of stuff to eat. I'm sure they're quite happy there.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric, planted a bunch of crocuses out in our lawn as a surprise for me a few years ago. They are mostly still spotty there are a few nice clumps though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.