FIRST FLOWERS OF SPRING 2015!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sequoia, That is what we use to do with our Ground Hogs. There was a great spot with a creek, powerline (open field) and an old building foundation with abandoned out buildings. Just what they would need.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah I don't like killing things. I was really happy when I was still living at home and my Dad caught a ground hog but couldn't drown because the trap was too big. He filled a trash can with water but the little guy was able to swim to get air. He was forced to release it somewhere.

I found a groundhog in a cage last summer while mowing my neighbor's lawn. I took that one out to a stream area near a crop field.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are my crocus

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

pretty!
First few Dutch crocus are here, purple ones, maybe my yellows have died out. My Dutch crocus are in a low poorly drained area.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Looking good Holly.

My yellow snow crocuses in the front are done but the purples are coming on now. By the time I get home from work they are closed though. I will have to wait until Saturday to get a decent pic.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

It's so nice to see flowers!

Thumbnail by Muddy1
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh nice, some jumbos! Love it.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beautiful crocuses! They all look so sunny!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks! They're not really big, Sequoia, it's just a close-up. Are there such things as jumbo crocuses?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're the ones you show in your pic. Jumbo crocus and snow crocus are two of the most common types. The striped one in your pic is called 'Pick Wick'.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Guess that shows you how much I know about crocuses ; - )

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are a coupe pics from the weekend. The Hamamelis have been blooming for a couple weeks but I wanted to wait until they were in full bloom.

Snow crocus
Arnold's Promise Witchazel
Snow crocus
Arnold's Promise Witchazel
Fire Charm Witchazel

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful! I really like those purple crocuses.
Your Witch Hazels look great too, much nicer than Hamamelis vernalis.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Muddy. The Fire Charm isn't super floriferous but it looks pretty in it's own right. It smells nice too but not nearly as good as the Arnold's Promise.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Seq, that AP witch hazel is something else!

How does it look the rest of the year? I've been meaning to get one... :)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have little bunches of daffs with tight buds already above ground.
These are the "wild" daffs.the ones wit yellow/greenish double bloom.

These are just to prolific.....I think I got my first one when I dug it out of
the ground in a ditch somewhere.... They are pretty! NAME????

Look: Do these even have a name?

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

awesome, Seq

Gita I have some of those, I also got them "wild" there is probably an heirloom double

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

SSG, the AP Witchazel is a nice shrub all season long. It has nice green leaves and doesn't require anything, although I do feed it once in the spring. Here are pics from each of the AP last fall. The bigger one usually ends in bright yellow on the leaves. It was my first fall with the small one although it was planted in fall of '13, albeit leafless already.

Nice daffs G, they look real pretty. You're lucky they're in bloom already. My tallest daffs at the moment are only a few inches.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--
They are not in bloom already. The pictures I posted are from last year...

Sally--yes! I believe they are called "Heirloom"...Daffs. Nice! Indestructible!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I was thinking to myself that it was early for such a thing...

I've read that many of the heirloom doubles are very inconsistent in bloom quality; so Gita, you're lucky to have consistently nice ones. Mine can have a lot of green and look messy. Holy moly are they prolific dividers though.

My earliest narcissus are well in bud- maybe a day or two...

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

My house came with that daff too! I don't know the name either.
Sequoiadendron - how long do you have Fire Charm? That is a new one for me. I have Diane and Arnold's Promise and they have years like that too.
ssgardener - you'll love witch hazel. They bloom so early and long, the smell is great (make sure you get a fragrant one) and the fall color can be spectacular some years. Some years but not every year, the edges of the leaves turn before the middle of the leaf. Those are the best years. I don't know why some years they do it and some years they don't. Sometimes only one of them does.
Last year was a good fall for witch hazel
1. Arnold's Promise (grown in shade) - very fragrant
2. Diane (grown in sun) - sometimes a little fragrant, inconsistent.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

The only reason I'm hesitating is that I don't get a lot of sun in the front yard, and it's also pretty dry in the front. I don't want to plant it in the backyard where it's sunnier with better soil and more moisture. I want it by the front entrance so I can enjoy the fragrant blooms!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

You should get one SSG. They don't mind a part or mostly shaded spot just as long as it gets some sun. I also wouldn't even worry about the soil being on the drier side. The ones at Longwood Gardens are in full shade I think.

Loretta, I've had our Fire Charm since spring of '12 and it does alright. If I was to do it over again, I'd probably pick a different variety. Mine doesn't flower the best and the flowers aren't really showy. This is probably it's best year yet in terms of fragrance and flower quantity. It is a slow to moderate grower, much less than the AP. I suspect it has some resource competition from a nearby Norway Maple though and I don't water it at all. It's a nice plant though, I'm not going to get rid of it. For me, it's one of those plants that has a spot in my heart but I don't really know why.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehe, we all probably have THOSE kind of plants, seq.!!!!! They just steal our hearts.

Am heading to Longwood tomorrow with a college roommate who has a membership. YAY!!! I'd love to go earlier, but I am at her mercy.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ahh! Fire Charmer = Feuerzauber which is what I've seen it labeled as.
That is a good one! Then again, I don't know of any bad ones.
I grow AP in dry shade. It works so far. It will be a little less dense but still nice.
Have fun Jan!

Ok, Loretta and Seq, you've convinced me! I'll be looking for AP in the nurseries. :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah, Feuerzauber is it but I can never remember that.

Cross posted SSG....get on the AP train...woot woot!

This message was edited Mar 23, 2015 9:05 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--
Just think that "feuer" means "fire" in German. Not sure how the other
part translates. Maybe this will help.....

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Zauber is magic.

sounds like a name for VV's next cat, should an orange one show up one day.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

So it's 'Fire Magic' then?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Actually, Zauber also means charm, (magic) spell and a few other things, so Fire Charm is also correct and that's the official translation: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=e323
Fire Magic sounds catchier though, doesn't it?

This message was edited Mar 24, 2015 10:48 PM

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Loretta, do you have a pic of your 'Diane' in bloom? I looked it up on Google but a lot of the pics look like they could be photoshopped.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

The open red and then as they age, they get a little dark orange blending going on. It is more red and that's why I got it even though it isn't known for its fragrance. My neighbor's trees are slowly overtaking it so we'll see how it fairs in the next few years.

1. Just unfurling on the first warm day.
2-4. Unfurled 5 days later
4 Full tree, held its leaves this year and I didn't take them off. It doesn't always.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, that looks really good Loretta. How long have you had it? I really like that red color. I'm tempted to rip out our struggling Dragon Eye Pine and put this in it's place. This spot is currently part sun but may transition to part shade as time progresses.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well I got it as a mail order whip so it took many years to get to that size. I think I moved it twice. Actually, I had arranged to give it away because it wasn't blooming for me. But it decided to take off finally so it was too big to dig out. Now I'm glad I didn't. So the blooms are more burnt orange by now like the color at the end of the petals. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.
I had a dragon eye pine but it didn't make it through last winter. Mine was a little sparse too. I think they need to be trimmed early on because the one at the arboretum is much fuller with short branches.
Fire Magic does sound a little catchier but Feuerzauber is more fun to try and pronounce!

http://www.forvo.com/word/feuerzauber/

I was sort of close

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Just remember--that all "z"-s in German are pronounced as a "C"..or better--a "tc"

Trying to think of an English word for this....pulling a blank.... G.

or..you could click my link and hear it...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.