FIRST FLOWERS OF SPRING 2015!!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Greenthumb nailed it. The branches are sitting in water and are blooming because it's nice and warm inside.
I am in the process of removing that shrub. I started removing the stump a few weeks ago, but the sawz-all (sp?) battery ran out of juice so it's still half in/half out of the ground. Rather than just throw out the branches, I decided to force them to bloom by bringing them inside.

I just cut some other Forsythia back so squirrels and raccoons couldn't use them as launch pads to get to some bird houses and feeders, and stuck them in water so I'll have another set of blooms in a week or so.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2015 7:14 PM

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Ah, it makes sense to me now Muddy. Well it looks great!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks! It looks a lot better in the house than it did in the ground; it was old, overgrown and straggly.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

agreed, very nice vase of forsythia.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks! It does brighten that corner.The blossoms are still opening up too.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Ugh! Every day I'm walking the yard and the spring bulbs are sooooo slow to wake up! This stupid weather is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, the weather really $%[email protected]! I call it Spring, Interrupted.

It must be particularly frustrating because you planted so many bulbs! I bet they'll all come up at once and it'll be beautiful.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah it is pretty frustrating but I know it will be pretty. The way my yard works with spring bulbs is that everything in the front blooms first and travels to the backyard as time goes on. It's pretty neat as it extends the bloom. Of course it's just because my yard slopes to the north and levels out on the south side so it's nothing to do with me.

I wonder if we could get Google Earth to have pictures of our yards only at their prettiest stage each year
:^)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

They could do a "street level" view by driving an equipped golf cart around your yard.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha GT, that'd be great! There is a Google street view of my house now but, by the looks of things, it was taken early to mid summer 2011. My Google Earth view is more up to date as I suspect that was taken late April/early May 2013.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Should have posted this sooner, but Monday Pat walked out on the deck and was greeted by Crocuses scattered all around our moss "lawn" where none were evident the day before. Amazing how they can just explode into bloom.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

IT IS TIME TO LET YOU ALL READ THIS.....(some of you already have).

There have been other years of total frustration that Spring would never arrive.
One such year was 2003. It was already April--and we still had snow....

SO--to put it all in verse--I wrote this Poem:
Enjoy!

SPRING

Make a wish for the sun to shine,
Let the days be yours and mine!
Flowers swaying in the breeze,
Birds all singing in the trees.

Snow to melt and grass to grow,
Tulip- heads in my beds to show.
Geese on wings in the sky above
All living things, so full of love.

The Earth is stirring—my green grass grows,
Daffodils blooming in pretty rows.
Robins hop, and Sparrows nest—
Which fork in the tree will be the best?

I scan my garden and hope for the best,
That all will be well, before I rest.
Where soils is now—oh so bare,
My flowers will be fighting for a place to share.

I worry and fret-- I scan the scene,
Will it ever again soon be green?
Will Roses bloom and Lilacs sway?
Their fragrance wafting over my way.

I have to remind me, day by day,
That nature always has her way.
Flowers grow—and seeds they sow,
And where they land—I do not know!

Here’s a Pansy! There’s a Mint!
Sunflowers!!!—I had no hint!
Here’s a Maple—there’s a Holly,
What’s peeking out there?
It’s Lily of the Valley!

I sit and I savor—on my porch swing I rest,
Again to my Garden, I’ve given my best.
My eyes and my senses caress all I see,
And again it’s given it’s best back to me!

I look at the Earth—I look at the sky,
I see another Summer flying by.
I fear not! Worry not, for you see—
There will always be another spring for me!

Gita (April 8, 2003)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have some purple Crocus bunches coming into bloom now
in the bed where the "Great balls of mFire" exburry Azalea is planted.

That is also the bed where all the yellow/green Heirloom daffs are growing.
They are all in bud--ready to pop.
Found ONE itsy-bitsy yellow Crocus too in my KK Hibiscus bed.

The pink, double Hellebore is starting to bloom as well.

AHHH--it won't be long now...

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That's a nice poem, Gita.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Pretty blooms Gita and GT.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I like your moss lawn, Greenthumb. The crocuses look great popping up through it. What kind of sedge (?) is growing there?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Lirope

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

What a poem!

Given Gita's athletic past, I offer this one humble subtle edit...

"Here’s a Pansy! There’s a Mint!
Sunflowers!!!—I had no hint!
Here’s a Maple—there’s a Holly,
What’s peeking out there?
It’s Lily of the Volley!"

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Viburnum Valley is having a ball
Writing verses with punch.
I'm willin' to bet
He's likely to net
A date with Gita for lunch.

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Anything is possible............

I just had a lunch date with Paul---before we all took that frigid walk at Fells Point.

He literally. asked me (in his 1st e-mail) "Will you be my date" for.,.....
How could I say "No!"...

You all have to understand that it is totally "safe" to ask me for A DATE...
I am OLD and harmless.... :o Like taking Granny out for soup and sandwich...
with a beer......
G.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

V.V.--Love your play on words!
"Volley" ---haaaa..Haaa..... Yep! Those were the days!

Looking back--it was pretty brutal and insane.....

Just for fun----
1--The first team we had--see the date> 1963. The year I got married (me--front on left)

2--The men's team (1969)--My DH is on the left in back row

3--Dig these uniforms!!!! I made them all for the team. Me--2nd from left--front row

4--Made these uniforms too. Seems I was always making uniforms for the team.
The sure were "original"....:o). I am back row--on the left.

5--This is my Latvian team I played on. DIG those hairdos!!! Me--2nd from left in front.

Ahhhh.....memories....

OK--the rest of you--sorry for the digression.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

That is awesome.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yeah! I have lots more!

Can I post my indoor blooms on here? Not much going on outside..

My Amaryllis--of course. These blow me away every year.
ESPECIALLY--that the big red ones, in the big clay pot, are about 25 years old.
YES! The same bulbs!!! Don't know exactly when I got all the others...
but some of those also have a bit of longevity to them.
There are more to open..other colors...

No descriptions--just "show--and NO tell"...

OH--1st picture is to show you the LONG stems. Why ???

#4--my Clivia by my NEW front door

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I love old photos.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

It looks like my redbud is dead. :(

I didn't get any fall color last year, which I thought was odd. The leaves sort of turned brown and fell off pretty early in the season.

It seemed to be so late in waking up this spring so I scratched the bark today, and there's no green. The twigs are brown and crispy.

The tree is at the bottom of the hill with pretty bad clay. I'm assuming it's root rot of some sort. I'd heard that redbuds handled clay ok, but it may have been just too wet and clay-ey.

Sigh.... it was sooo pretty for the one year that it lasted.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Outside---here is the first little bunch of Mini-Daffs.
And--a better look at my new front door.
Hate it that i do not have a Storm door--I cannot just leave it
open 5to get fresh air!
Maybe in the near future---except--$$$$ I have to start saving money again
after the 2 doors and 7 windows got replaced.
G

#3 is my removed 36" "Forever" storm door. It is in good condition.
Needs a new closer--but I will include a whole new hardware set with it too.

Anyone interested? D-mail me please.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They do just fine in my clay soil but it could be something else and I wouldn't pull it till next year if you can hold out. I had one that I was sure was dead and just never got around to pulling it out and the next year it started blooming. Never seen anything like that before.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Too bad about your Redbud, ssg. I'm with Holly; wait a while and give it a chance to pull through.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow Holly, are you saying it didn't leaf out for an entire season and then the next season it came back to life?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, It was a small one that I had dug from the woods and transplanted out in the evergreen grouping. It dropped all it's leaves wasn't showing any sign of life. Didn't do Coleup's scratch test on it though. I just never got around to pulling it out that summer and then next spring it was blooming. We transplanted it in spring probably May when the Redbuds bloom, it dropped it's leaves shortly after transplant and never did get any more till the next year. That was back when I worked and had a family pulling small dead trees out wasn't much of a priority thank goodness.
I guess mine is different than SSG as she bought her's and it was growing for her last year. Didn't go into transplant shock right away.

Early daffs noid
Tete a tete and noid
Ferny Corydalis
Big Bud Challenge. I forgot we snatched this in the fall. Something that is not really local and should not grow around here but does in at least one place. May have been planted by owners of an estate long ago. After dragging Mark the thrid time to check on it he decided that one of the seedlings should come with us.

Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg

My redbud's dead. No green at all. I think it actually died early fall when all of the leaves turned brown and crispy. I'll be removing it pretty soon, but I've no idea what I'll be replacing it with. Something that likes wet soil!

Did anyone plant fritillaria bulbs last fall? Boy, are they stinky! I should have known the flowers would be stinky from how bad the bulbs were, but even the leaves coming up smell terrible!

I just googled "fritillaria smell..." and Google auto-completed "like cannabis." Well, I guess that's one way to describe it, but I was going to say "skunk!"

I'm going to have to transplant the bulbs away from the front door. It's outright embarrassing at this point.

Sally, I have no idea what that is. Hm...

This message was edited Apr 3, 2015 4:19 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG - you might try Buttonbush, Cephalanthus occidentalis is you wet area. It can even tolerate quite a bit of standing water. https://www.google.com/search?q=buttonbush&biw=1600&bih=784&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=F_8eVcX7Lsf6sAWS6IPYAw&sqi=2&ved=0CH8QiR4 . BTW I presume you meant Redbud?

Lol, greenthumb, yes, REDbud. :)

I was actually looking into getting a fringe tree, but I don't think they like it wet, either. Something about the buttonbush doesn't do it for me...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I just love when you more Southern members post pics because that way I know mine won't be too far behind. Purple Emperor Sedum, Hellebore, Variegated sedum, Winter Blooming Jasmine.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

my golden sedum is waking up; so is golden Creeping Jenny. Tall er Sedums are like those, some need leaves pulled away.

That's a Magnolia macrophylla, sallyg.

For a wet clayey spot, especially if you have acid reaction soils, I'd try a Winterberry Holly - which can be grown as a small tree. 'Winter Red' is a nice selection.

If you are after showy flowers, give Magnolia virginiana a whirl.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.