Tea Room 129

Christchurch, New Zealand

Jean - my brother & his wife loved their Imprezzas... they had several along with WRXs.

Treating yourself to a holiday is a great idea - I loved travelling around Aussie, so much to see!

Anthony - watch out for those 7 headed hydras...
nobody needs one of those around :)

I have been uploading my aviation photos to Flickr, something new for me - it had more free storage than Photobucket and seems to work better with uploading.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157651764781566/

the continuing adventures of Aviator Bear.

take care all
Teresa

weather is a bit chilly but the sun is shining & the gale force winds have stopped...
good weather for walking the dog - so off to the local park before breakfast & we had a lovely time.

Aviator bear has hot chips to share :)

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Merino, Australia

Good morning.
Its chilly here , but the sun is out even if it has little warmth.
A bit of nice rain yesterday so the plants are all looking lovely.
I have planted out a few annuals, pansies, erigeron and polyanthus in the garden bed of the unit next to me. I keep it planted as it looks very bare otherwise.
The erigeron isnt really an annual, but will make a nice back drop for the others .
The roses are all doing nicely as the real heat has gone but still plenty of sun for them.
Bulbs are all sprouting in their pots. Mostly the tulips first, but I see some daffs in the garden bed sticking their nose up.

Teresa. aviator bear certainly gets around. Hope he doesnt meet the Red Baron anywhere...lol
I bet Sugar is parading in her coat int eh cold weather.
I was looking at a show the other day with dogs and the fashions their owners get them done up in . I wonder what the dogs thing...lol
Some are great , like warm coats , but some are just plain silly and that goes for some of the owners too.

Anthony. I am waiting impatiently for the new car. Wont be long now. I'll have to post a pic when it gets here. Hope you are enjoying your fire in this cold weather.

Have added a pic of my latest painting. Again done only with palette knives. I find its great fun to try and get the right effects from the knives.
This one is early morning in the high country.

Take care all
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Jean - you are mastering the challenge of using palette knives :)

I love the shades of colour in your painting, gum trees are a great subject for the technique with their textured bark.

Sugar hasn't needed a coat yet - we have had fairly mild days and if she is running about I'm not worried about her getting cold.

If we need to go out in the rain I will dig out her Drizabone coat. I was lucky to get it free when I worked at the shop - our Australian parent company gave every worker a bonus to spend in the online shop.

I have nerines appearing in the garden, and my white camellia is looking pretty, there are still roses out and hopefully I will have enough to make up an arrangement for ANZAC Day.

Still no photo from Poppy Day as my parents are having their house repairs done & the computer is in a shipping container on their front lawn, along with almost every other item from the house.

Stioux did suggest downloading straight to my laptop but have to arrange to get together with them to do that.
Today I am feeling off colour & plan on staying home with my painkillers & a wheat bag.
Sugar is happy to keep me company in bed or on the couch & she had a good run at dog club yesterday so is being calm & good.

Bit of a shame as it is a nice day - supposed to hit 22C, hopefully by this afternoon I'll be sick of feeling sad & sorry for myself & ready for some fresh air & exercise at the dog park. If not Hubby might like to take Sugar anyway as he enjoys her company & gets a kick out of watching her frolic with the other dogs they meet.

Take care all
Teresa

Sunshine Coast, Australia

What is the name of this foliage plant please?

Thumbnail by Marleneann
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

It looks like a ZZ plant...Zamioculas zamiifolia

http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/zz-plant.html

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Zamioculcas%20zamiifolia%20pc.html

Sunshine Coast, Australia

Quote from themoonhowl :
It looks like a ZZ plant...Zamioculas zamiifolia

http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/zz-plant.html

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Zamioculcas%20zamiifolia%20pc.html

Thanks for that!

It has been a mild Autumn here & I was able to make a wreath to lay on our Memorial Wall at the Papanui RSA where I used to work...

I am still a member & my husband, parents & brother along with a couple of uncles & their wives all attended the ANZAC Day services today.

Also in attendance for the first time was a donkey in 'uniform'.

He was there to symbolise the donkeys (& horses) that also gave their lives in service.

take care
Teresa

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre
western sydney nsw, Australia

Hi Jean Whate is the best to do about the leave damaged Brugs .
This all happened wind and hail in storm .
Is it best to just feed and remove all the leaves or cut all back hard some small ones were first time flush.

Hi Teresa Sydney has been hit with storms this last week .

Cheers Elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut Thumbnail by sammut Thumbnail by sammut Thumbnail by sammut

Elaine - wow that storm was really fierce!

Your poor garden has been hit hard.

We have been getting news reports over here about the Sydney weather but I think now with the earthquake in Nepal the news coverage will switch to that.

take care

Teresa

Merino, Australia

Hello Elaine. Sorry to hear about all the damage, but one thing with gardens, they do recover well.
I would remove all the damaged leaves and any branches that seem damaged.
I would not cut right back yet, as with your warmer climate up there, the brugs will still be able to put on some growth and recover. If you wish to cut back, do it just before the real cold weather comes and if the brugs are in pots, put them out of the direct weather until Spring. They will then quickly reward you with plenty of growth .

Hope all are well anywhere up there getting storms.

Teresa, the donkey is so symbolic of war, with the stories of Simpson and the work he did. He does look very nice in his uniform.
How is Miss Sugar coming along?
I hope your weather has been as mild as ours.
Its raining again here, but only light and the plants are all loving it.

Nothing much going on here. I lead a very quiet life these days.
Stay warm and safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Hello to you all. Things are heating up here in the hot and humid southern USA. It was 31.6C and 70% humidity.

You are most welcome Marleneann. ZZ's are neat plants.

Teresa, that is a lovely wreath you put together.

Pretty brug blooms Jean. The earthquake in Nepal has pretty much dominated the new here also. So much loss of life and grief.

Hope you all have a lovely calm week.

western sydney nsw, Australia

Thanks Jean nice sun to day going out to tidy the damaged leaves.
No other part of the garden damaged
Elaine

Thumbnail by sammut Thumbnail by sammut

we have had a very dry summer & unusually warm autumn.
We had 25C ANZAC Day, normally we are thrilled if it reaches 10C!

We took Sugar to the dog park today just before lunch time. Made the most of a break in the weather, it was fairly warm & the wind had dropped off so quite nice outside.
So glad we did, she had a wonderful run around with a few other frisky pups.
The rain has set in now, falling steadily & we are snug & warm inside with the pellet fire burning.

Seeing the footage from Nepal makes me feel ill...
4 years after out earthquake it still upsets me and the scale of destruction in Nepal is so much worse.

take care everyone
Teresa

Sydney NSW, Australia

Teresa, Hello

I do hope that the news report here in Sydney yesterday, about another quake on your Island is incorrect, or, at least, inaccurate...It was not followed up at any time this a.m.
Trust you & yours are staying safe. Keep us in the loop.
Cheers and keep smiling

Anna

Hope all is well with you and yours Teresa. Scary times for lots of folks the past few days.

only a minor quake - we didn't feel it in CHCH but it was enough to be noticed closer to the epicentre.

NZ is quite unstable geologically, not for nothing are we called the shaky isles :)

As far as being punished by the forces of nature goes then Aussie has been copping far worse than we have lately.

Take care all
Teresa

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Howdy Folks!

Just trying to see how many computer screens I could light up with this photo of our summer coneflower. Everything is in bloom now, and we're just starting the corn and tomato season. The weather has been pleasant and the summer festivals great.

Regards,
Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Merino, Australia

Hello Al
Nice to see someone pop into the Tea Room as its been empty for quite a while.
FB has taken everyone away now or they are busy with other things.
I dont even bother looking in now , but DG does a reminder if I have it on my watch list
Nice to hear all is well with you and that your garden is doing well.
Its very cold here as we are still in our winter.
Hopefully Spring will be early as there are blossom trees appearing and plenty of Spring annuals and bulbs starting to open.
take care over there
Jean.

Al that is a very pretty flower - we are in the depths of winter here but my hellebores will be up soon to brighten the garden.
Hope you will post a few more pics - having summer gardens to look at would be lovely.

I spent the day at my dog training club as we put on a training day to raise some funds.
It was sunny but the wind was bitterly cold.
We haven't had any real snow in town but in the outlying townships they copped a few good dumps.

take care - Teresa

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

We spent nearly all day Saturday at Windmill Farms, a huge marketplace spread over 50 acres. Hundreds of vendors there, mostly an outdoor venue but some under buildings. A lot of our veggies are now just starting to come to market. Corn, onions, tomatoes, flower baskets, and everything in between. The market will continue on Saturdays through October which is our late Fall. We ate fresh corn on the backyard grill when returning home.

We're trying a few newer annuals this year. This is a Calendula from our mixed collection, so easy to grow.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

Calendulas love conditions here - a bit too much, they are pretty but spread like wildfire so I ruthlessly hauled them out.
Every so often I am tempted when I see them looking good in someone else's garden but manage to remind myself of how messy then looked in mine.
Honesty is another one that self seeds relentlessly here.
I was so excited when I found it growing here as I had fond memories of it in Mum's garden when I was a child...
well I guess it didn't like conditions up north so much as I don't recall it going mad & trying to take over the property.
I am still ruthlessly weeding out seedlings that pop up years later.

I have nemesia that enthusiastically self sows as well but I find it easier to control & looks good with a bit of deadheading to keep the flowers coming.

I am going to have to get into the garden & dig up volunteer sweet peas, lettuces & parsley that are all coming up in my herb garden.
I can transplant them to where I want them & give away extras to family & friends.

take care all - Teresa

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

My neighbor has the most beautiful Rhododendron bushes pushing through the fence line. They seem to enjoy the sunlight on my side. They are quite tall, about 15' up to my porch roof and covered with blooms.

Thumbnail by lycodad Thumbnail by lycodad

they are so pretty, I love rhodies, would like to add a few more along my fence line, especially some of the fragrant ones.

I have just finished my first week in my new job - full time work takes it out of you when you're not used to it.

We are in for some nasty weather - but signs of spring are appearing, my daffs are coming up - although a month away from flowering - just seeing the green shoots cheers me up on a bleak day.

Take care all
Teresa

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Yep, it's Tomato time here in Yankee land !! We're up to our ears in 'em... It's the season for fresh tomato sandwiches, new pasta sauce, and super good salads. The rest we boil down for freezer sauce and save a few for oven dried tomatoes.

Best wishes for your upcoming summer and gardening!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

wow that looks like an impressive harvest there Al.

Spring is here in the South Island of NZ - my daffodils are up & many trees are blossoming, my magnolia stellata looks & smells wonderful.

I've been busy learning the ropes in a new job.
After being made redundant a year ago it's nice to be fully back in the work force.
I filled in my time with study & gained my National Certificate in Computing, Level 2 & did some part time work as well.

My dog isn't so pleased about me working 8 hour days - luckily for her my hubby has an earlier shift start so is home early afternoon to take her for a good long run at the dog park, it stretches for several kilometres along a river & she has a marvellous time playing with other dogs & just being out in the fresh air & sunshine off lead.

take care - Teresa

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Hi Teresa, I hope you are enjoying your new job and have most of the learning under your belt now. Poor Sugar will miss you terribly but at least she still gets a good run in the afternoons thanks to your husbands earlier shift. Now spring has arrived it is warming up fast, it does not feel much like we have a spring as before we know it Summer has hit. My jasmine put on its wonderful very fragrant show and is almost finished. My rununculus are flowering well and I have a couple of iris ready to bloom but that's about as close as I can get to spring bulbs in Brisbane. There seems to be a lot to do this time of year and it takes me a lot longer to do it than it used to. I have been growing all sorts of annuals and perennials from seed and keeping them watered and cared for is a lot of work but I've enjoyed doing it and had heaps of plants to give away which is nice. Must get back to the garden as I need to shift the hose. Until next time I hope you enjoy spring and your gardens and the weather is kind to you all.
Photos are of some of my hibiscus flowers that are flowering and another favourite of mine Pachystachys lutea.

Thumbnail by Magpie63 Thumbnail by Magpie63 Thumbnail by Magpie63

pretty hibiscus flowers.
I have been too busy to take any photos but my daffs are up, the magnolia stellata looks & smells fantastic.
Hopefully this weekend I can get a few shots of what's looking good right now.

cheers - Teresa

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Beautiful photos, they really light up the screen. We don't grow hibiscus much here, but we have hollyhocks. We're at the very end of the "harvest" now picking off the last of the fresh tomatoes and corn. Still have a few flowers left that are ripe for seed saving.

Regards,
Al

I miss daffs and the spring bulbs from my days in Christchurch but my Iris have flowered and I'm enjoying them. I hope you can get some photos up on the weekend Teresa. I have managed to get a single holyhock to germinate so it will be interesting to see what it thinks of the conditions in Brisbane. My mouth waters at the idea of home grown tomatoes and corn on the cob Al. My tomatoes are still green but now the weather is warming up they will make faster progress. We had a lovely thunder storm which bought some desperately needed rain and you could almost see the garden drinking it up, also my little tanks are nearly full again so I have around 1000 litres of rain water to use on my potted plants. The pics are my iris, another hibiscus, an OSTEOSPERMUM ecklonis, Cineraria, and a basket of petunias.

Thumbnail by Magpie63 Thumbnail by Magpie63 Thumbnail by Magpie63 Thumbnail by Magpie63 Thumbnail by Magpie63

weather is not good today.windy & wet.
we were lucky that we had a break in the rain this morning & could take Sugar to the dog park for a good run.

Since we got home it has been rubbish outside & we are enjoying a quiet day in with the fire on.

That is a lovely bright hibiscus, your garden must be so pretty with all those blooming.

Take care
Teresa

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I would love to go through Spring again, but we're working on our clean up for Fall. Our son John was visiting here for a couple of weeks from his home in South Africa so we sent him back with some of our favorite seeds for use there.

We are now on a mini-vacation in New England near Boston and Cape Cod. Rented a cottage type home close to the Atlantic seacoast for the next few days. It's a nice rural area, leaves are now just starting to turn into Fall colors.

Your Spring flowers are gorgeous!

Regards
Al

I hope your weather cleared up for the weekend Teresa so you could get out in your garden or take Sugar walking. Al it must have been nice to see your son John for a couple of weeks. I hope the seeds you sent him home with do well in the new environment. Most of the bulbs I can grow here in Brisbane are from South Africa as my climate is sub-tropical. There is much to do in my garden at the moment before it gets too hot and humid again. I do love the winters here though as they are frost free and mostly dry. Your mini-vacation would be very nice, I would love to be near the sea coast and be able to see the leaves taking on their fall (or Autumn as we would call it) colours as it does not happen here. Everything is evergreen and winter and early spring are the main times I garden. I must off to prune my jasmine now it has finished it's late winter flowering, the perfume has been wonderful, especially in the evenings.

it has been cold & wet here - good thing we took Sugar for her walk on Saturday as there was no hope of getting out again all weekend.

Hubby took me out for dinner Saturday night.
As we walked in I spotted a family member & thought a few were there to surprise me...
then I looked around the corner & they were all there - even one travelled all the way down from Nelson.

and then I felt a tap on my shoulder, and there was my baby brother - who lives in Sydney!
I just gave him a big hug & was so overwhelmed it brought tears to my eyes.

We had a sibling get together on Sunday afternoon, a few wines & cheese & crackers & a chance to catch up.

cheers - Teresa

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday Teresa!! It almost passed without notice. Your cake looks delicious!

Al

Spring has sprung...
hellebores, I love these in my 'woodland' corner

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre

Magnolia stellata
pink camellia
the little violet I thought was lost
daffodils
red rhododendron

Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre Thumbnail by dalfyre

random shots around the front garden
the drive is horribly overgrown with weeds - just about needs mowing rather than weeding.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Wowwie!! How'd you do all that in just nine minutes?

lol - taking the photos & then downloading them took a little more than 9 minutes...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.