Late Spring Arrival; Clematis Buds waited no time. ..

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Just a couple of days ago I noticed new leaf buds on my hybrid Clematis. Now a few days later I was delighted to find flower buds. How is it like in your garden?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More, and more buds, flowerbuds appeared today.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just had snow here in NJ so we are a little behind you. I am hoping for some in the next month.

Athens, PA

We have been having snow as well.

Kim - I am looking forward to your photos. Always so beautiful!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Welcome back to you both, Marie and Carolyn. Spring comes late this year! We're a bit earlier than up North, hope winter soon bids y'all goodbye. Down South, our first Spring clematis is our evergreen clem. 'Armandi'.
1. 'Armandi'.
2. Container Clem. 'Nelly Moser' will be the next to burst forth!

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

My "Gurnsey Cream" has blooms, and my "Daniel" is about to burst forth also. Lots of new growth on all of mine.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

happytail, please share some pix. How far are you from Savannah?

Athens, PA

Kim - again, more snow today. It is supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow. My snowdrops are still not open.

Happytail - I too would love to see your photos.

Carolyn

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh Carolyn, I wish you spring soon. Yes, I am looking forward to seeing more pix. Com'on clematis lovers. Let's post pictures please. Oh flower buds pix is welcome too.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here come some of mine, evergreen clem. 'Armandi' on the corner of an arbor, and a close-up of the flower. The fragrant is out of this world, oooh yum! (the flower was picked and laid atop of the plant below).

Other hybrid clems. are sending out flower buds like mad. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

Kim

Such a joy to see. I have to believe the rest of your clems are starting to pop as well. I definitely have zone envy.

Thank you for sharing. I cannot wait to see mine start to put out some growth.

Carolyn

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The weather is very unpredictable down here, seems as if another cold spell will return this weeken, Grrrrrr. Here is some color to brighten up our day. I'll share more pics. when I return later. Have a blessed day to you and yours.
Kim
p.s. A hybrid quince named 'Iwai Nishiki' in container.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

Pretty. The flowering quince always draws the Redstarts. Do you have redstarts in Alabama or are they are bird that is particular to the North East?

I noticed on the east side of the house. that Clem is putting out some leaf buds. That is the start. It can only be upward and forward from here...lol

Athens, PA

Marie -

Ohhh!!! That is exciting!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Carolyn, I'm not sure if we get Redstarts down here, but we do have a little bigger birds that remarkably Redstart-look-alike. Unfortunately I couldn't recall its common name at the moment. Nice, Marie. zone 6b has awaken, as far as spring goes, so hopefully your will follow suite Carolyn.

My 'Empress' and 'The President' Clem's buds are more swollen, only thing is the double blue bloom clem. 'Francisca Maria' just poked through the ground--whew for a while there I thought it was a gonner!

Enjoy this unusual combo; hydrangea 'snow ball' against the redbud backdrop. (Snow ball' will mature up to a white blossom -- its first begun kinda green lookin'. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

Beautiful Kim. I would love to take a tour through your gardens. Your pictures are always so lovely.

Lily, I am halfway between Savannah, and Jacksonville, FL. About an hour and a half to either. Will share pics. We have had some colder weather, and I guess that is keeping them from opening up more.

I did some trimming today on a few clems. The tall growing ones mostly. Princess Diana got way to tall with only a few flowers last year due to non trimming. I am hoping this warm weather this week will stay around. I saw a lot of growth coming on all my clems today.

I trimmed all of mine except Veinosa Violacea (?, spelling) , and it is growing between two pieces of fence, to keep the dogs from trampling it. It has lots of green growth all over it that never actually died over the winter, so I may just leave it and see what happens.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm looking forward to enjoy our clematis this season. Could one of us, whoever gets the first bloom next, to post on a new thread? Thanks all for sharing your joy with me and others in the forum.

Marie, Carolyn, if you happen to come down South. Look me up for a tea party. Happytail you're invited too.

Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

So pretty Kim.

A tea party would be such fun.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Gosh, can I come?? :)

I pruned my clematis this past week. They are leafing out. I trimmed them pretty aggressively. It's always a challenge to me to determine where exactly I should prune the type 2 clematis. I may have cut off blooms. I am tired of the vines looking scraggly. So, this was an experiment. We shall see.

Today, I put rotted horse manure on them. I have always been late in getting the clematis pruned and haven't put on horse manure. I think I need to put some bone meal on them too. Right?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I must confess I don't really know how to prune mine. So I just trim the vines back to the first fat buds that I see. Not very good at giving fertilizer. Just occasional liquid fertilizer. Sure you're welcome to join us for tea birder17.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm going to upload a pix from my phone of a new white Clem. that I saw today while browsing local nursery store. I was so tempted to pick the clem. up and make it mine, but I didn't. :((

Athens, PA

Can't wait to see it Kim!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here it's.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

It's gorgeous Kim. Do you know which one it is? I love it.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Carolyn, it's 'Toki'. I do love it to. I's gonna to be on my wish list. lol

Athens, PA

I love it too Kim. It reminds me of Clematis Alabast.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I got my 4 new clematis from Brushwood, , Princess Diana, Burning Love, Blue Angel and Jorma, they will be my stump covers, hope to finish the garden in the back in the next two weeks so I can plant them. I got 3 big hill of compost, since last year I have been turning it and adding new material to it. Only if I can get more time and energy. Today I will cut the grass and got more green to the compost . Wish me well, I got to cut some lumber and make a short fence around the stump so I can retain more soil. It is always something. Etelka My Daniel Deronda is full of buds, the rest are doing well too.

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Etelka, best wishes to you. Those are some happy clems. Thanks for sharing photos. Seems your clems. are going to open before mine. Will you please open the next thread to devoting to clematis blooms 2015?

Athens, PA

Everything looks great Etalka. I am looking forward to your pics.

Gurnsey Cream and Daniel, yesterday!

Thumbnail by happytail Thumbnail by happytail
Athens, PA

Beautiful!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My Easter Sunday surprise, Daniel Deronda

Thumbnail by kiseta
Athens, PA

Beautiful!

Happy Easter everyone!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Very pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Two new bloomers today.

Thumbnail by happytail Thumbnail by happytail

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.