Curling leaves on my Adenium Obesum (desert rose)

Fort Wayne, IN

The leaves are curling up. Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how do I fix it. Also is it better to use an insecticide that you water into the soil or spray on the plant? Thank You
Grace

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

There could be any number of reasons for the curling leaves. These plants can be moody. Can you take a photo? In my experience Adenium leaves are prone to curling up and dropping off when the plant is experiencing drought. That's not a sign of anything serious, it's just a reminder to me to water more often. Of course your situation may be very different. That's why the picture may help.

Is the insecticide for the curling leaves? If you don't see any bugs in there (or perhaps hidden in the soil) then they are probably not the cause. In any case, the insecticide that I use for spraying on plants would be dilute soapy water, and the insecticide I would use after that for a persistent infestation would be the kind you water into the soil.

I hope that helps.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

My Adeniums have all dropped or are just about finished dropping their leaves, but they have been outside and dry all winter, so I expected that. It has already been warm enough here at night that I have decided I could risk giving them some water to see if they would come out of their winter dormancy.

I assume yours are inside, how did you get them through the winter, did you let them go dormant: ie. withheld water, reduced light/temperatures, or did you try to keep them going?

They are deciduous plants so unless pampered with both warm temperatures, light, and water, they tend to loose their leaves in the winter.

Winters here are just mild enough so I can keep them outside as long as I keep them on the patio near the back wall of the house and I absolutely do not water them (if they are wet and cold they are gone from rot before you know it), so every winter they drop all their leaves and that process makes it really hard not to water them, because the plants look really sad.

For what it's worth, my plant is outside and doesn't ever go dormant, but it definitely has its good days and bad days through the year. Right now it's loaded with buds but not a whole lot of leaves, sort of turning the bend from winter to spring. Obviously this experience has warped my perspective. Indoors in Indiana things will be different and more water is probably the very last thing to mention. Excuse me for that. I'm curious to see a picture though.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Mine lives full time in a heated greenhouse (minimum temps about 55) and always goes dormant. I don't water anything in the winter. It has finished blooming and is completely leafed out.

Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I guess the question was why the Adenium leaves were curling up. Are they curling up while still green? Or drying and curling?

Fort Wayne, IN

It seems as though it is happening to just the new leaves. During the winter I give them as much South light exposure as I can and also some of them are in a North window under florescent lights in my home office that is on a good 12 hrs. a day. I do not water in the winter unless one really needs it. I sprayed them with an insecticide and I also fed them bloom food because I thought it was close to getting time to go outside. "we had snow today, Poo" I think I am going to start watering with the insecticide already in the food. I always have trouble with scale, mealy bugs and spider mites in the winter. Most of my Desert Roses are leafless now with just the new growth, I've had one that kept its leaves all winter, then I fed and spayed it and now the leaves are rebelling. "ugh" warm weather can't come soon enough to northern Indiana!!
Grace

Thumbnail by acts238
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

In my mind, it looks like mealybugs or aphids that are too small to see at this point. I just found this website that may help you.

http://www.tropicanursery.com/adenium/problems.htm

Check out the section on nutrients too.

Daisy

Fort Wayne, IN

Thank You Daisy, the website was just full of Interseting facts. I do think it may be mealy bugs but I think a little nitrogen might be called for. I have always just bought plants and did the best to keep them alive, there is so much more to a healthy plant. Thanks for the info, I enjoyed reading it and will probably read it a few more times.

Thank you for the link.... lots of useful stuff in there.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I give all my plants a weekly spray of equal parts water, alcohol and peroxide. I use this on all cactus and succulents, well actually any plants.. It takes care of mealy bugs, powdery mildew and any fungus problems.. My grandmother taught me this about 50 years ago when I was a young girl..

Works for me.

Larkie

Fort Wayne, IN

Thank You Larkie, I will try that, I used a spray insecticide and they lost some leaves but I can tell they did not like it. Thanks again sounds easy, and cheap. I am still looking for a food that will feed and deter insects and bugs all together.
Grace

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I would use the systemic Bonide. I like it because it only kills the bad bugs - the ones sucking the life out of my plants. Drawbacks: It has no fertilizer in it and you have to mix it into the soil.

Daisy

Fort Wayne, IN

Thanks Daisy, I found some at a local plant shop. I also mixed up the solution Larkie mentioned and used it on a plant with scale and by golly they just wiped right off. I still like the idea of systemic, but will use both.

Grace

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.