Houstonians, talk about this "heard but never seen" plant

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

The last in my series, who actually grows HEUCHERA and relatives in Houston. Do you grow as annual or perennial? The diversity of foliage color is staggering, yet I know NOBODY that grows this plant. I once tried it by planting in full sun, and it didn't last 3 mo. Was it too bright, not enough water, I don't know. All I can say is I've never seen one in an every day residential garden in Houston.

Everybody is welcome to chime in but I'm really trying to solve the mystery as it relates to Houston.

Bellaire, TX

I've tried it in a partial-shade, raised bed. It died relatively quickly.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks like something that would draw snails and slugs, suspect it needs less humidity and cooler nights than Houston has.

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

I had one as a potted plant last summer. In fact, it stayed in the pot that I bought it in. I'm about 300 mi S of Houston, and I'd be willing to bet it is a lot hotter here in the summer than it is there. It lived in dappled shade all summer. Never did bloom, but the foliage is so pretty, who cares?

I enjoyed it so much I bought 2 more just last week. This time I'm going to give them bigger pots & see how they do.

I know you are asking specifically about the Houston area, but I posted because I though maybe the dappled shade might be of interest to you.

Vern

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I saw them for sale in Corpus last weekend. Wasn't brave enough.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Smart...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Where's the like button lol

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Howdy, I'm in Magnolia, northwest of Houston, and I grew it last season. Handled neglect in dry shade beautifully. Until the deer found it. Ate it to the roots. Now it's gone. :(

RIP, pretty little flash in the pan.

Fort Worth, TX

pretty photos when I searched it,

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.