Multi-grafted Fruit Tree

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I purchased some dwarf multi grafted fruit trees this year. I am looking for any advice or recommendations for taking care of them. I bought multi grafted because I have a small yard and I want more homegrown fruit. I had a couple of dwarf Japanese Persimmon but wanted more fruit. Fruit is getting to be so expensive. All of my trees will be grown in pots. The pink pots have my very small multi grafted trees. I am told that they should start bearing fruit in 2 to 3 years. I have

5N1 Apple Tree
3N1 Dwarf Cherry Tree
Orchard Fruit Tree (has 5 different types of fruit)
5N1 Dwarf Peach Tree
Plumcot
4N1 Asian Pear

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Dig a saucer/bowl shaped hole 3x width of roots, but only deep enough to have the tree back at its original natural depth. Do NOT dig a straight sided hole barely wide enough for the tree but so deep you bury the graft. You need to protect the graft Union at the base of the tree. It will probably have a side where the upper part bows out - point that roughly south. Then there should be a side where the lower part ends and you can see some wood or a scar, point that roughly north. Don't get carried away improving the soil in the hole - in the long run, trees do better if the soil they start in and the soil they root out into are the same. I use root stimulant (hormone based) on the roots when I plant, but I don't know how much difference it really makes. Keep well-watered through this summer, taper off watering as the NIGHTS start to cool in fall so the tree will harden for winter.
Until the roots re-establish to support the top, there isn't much else to do. You will know the roots have established when you see top new growth returning to what it was before it was transplanted.
With multi-grafted trees, there will be some varieties/grafts that will grow more aggressively than others. You might try weighing that branch down to a flatter angle to try slowing it down. Other-wise, try and train your little branches to about 60 degrees (2 & 10 o'clock) +/- 15 degrees (half hour).
Oops, sorry, I see where you are going to use pots. Periodically check and make sure you do not have circling roots - getting root bound can be fatal even if you repot to a larger pot. Give some thought to protecting the roots from temperature extremes that trees in the ground don't have to deal with. Double check mature size on your trees, you may decide to stick the largest one in the ground sooner rather than later.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Also, do not use straight potting soil. For long term plantings like trees, you need some actual dirt in your soil.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you pollegarden for the information. I used a combination of soil and compost.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.