Staking ideas for Clematis

Katy, TX(Zone 9a)

I'd love to see how folks are staking their clematis. I picked up a shepherd's hook for my Multi-Blue (I think) but I'm thinking that it might be a little small, now that it's halfway up and only early April! I have my clem in a pot until my climbing rose starts climbing up the back fence. What are some of your staking arrangements, and how did you start them?

Athens, PA

Recently, we have put up a couple of pergolas. We also have a back yard that is fenced in, so I had my husband line the fence with metal fencing and I have a number of clematis growing in my gardens.

You can also grow clematis through shrubs and trees. What I really like about this method is the blooms of the clematis can extend the flowering season of a shrub, like a flowering almond.

Another method is to put some fencing around a downspout and to have the clematis grow up the fencing.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

We have a small A/C unit for our garage, which is up off the ground. To keep the dogs from trampling it to death, I put up 2 pieces of a "gate" from Lowes, and the clematis is sandwiched in between.

Thumbnail by happytail
Natick, MA

CAGold, so glad you asked this question...

Am looking forward to others' answers. I, too, was thinking of using a shepards hook, but then started seeing how big some of these grow and thought it might be too short.

Happytail, your clem looks great ont he fencing there!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is one of mine. 'Empress' does beautifully this year. This one is a couple years old.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Same clematis at a different angle in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

My newest bloom

Thumbnail by happytail
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Happy Tail beautiful I assume it is "Crystal Fountain"

I think so. Doing great! The center opens even a bit more, too.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I need to get a bigger trellis for my Princess Diana. She is growing so big she is taking over and going beyond her trellis now.

My Princess Diana is blooming today!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.