What causes this?

Keller, TX(Zone 8a)

One of my hydrangeas has leaves that seem deformed (other hydrangeas don't have same problem)
I am not sure if I should be concerned or not...

This is an Endless Summer - it's been in the ground for about 3 years - it never gets direct sunlight, as I'm fairly sure our Texas Summer would fry it within a couple of days.

Any help is appreciated!

Thumbnail by PookieMichelle
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

To my eyes it seems like over-exuberant spring growth but Luis will come to the rescue, I'm sure, and he is the one who knows best.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I think this is normal - I've noticed that the old stems with new leaves are always smaller than the ones from the ground at this time of year. It is probably a defense mechanism against late spring frosts or possibly response from a colder than usual winter. Whereas oakleaf varieties are already close to blooming, macs are just getting their leaves out.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hello, PookieMichelle. I was just in your neck of the woods visiting family in Keller. While the leaves look weird, I would not be too concerned. The temperature fluctuations that we had this winter could have caused problems to the leaf buds or spider mites -now in season here- could also have caused problems. If you discover spider mite infestations in the hydrangeas or roses, you can use a miticde or release lady bugs or thrips.

hmcdole, my hydrangeas are backwards from yours! Lordy, Lord. I will have to have a chat with them. Hee hee hee. All of them leafed out for me maybe a month ago but one oakleaf in a protected location kept the leaves all year around. The macs started their broccoli stage a couple of weeks ago max. No broccoli on the oakleafs yet though. Or on the paniculatas.

Luis,

We had another colder than usual winter in the Atlanta area where we had a few nights of single digit weather and then a very cold night about 3 weeks ago (21 deg) which burned a lot of new growth (I think it killed Lemon Daddy back to the ground so it is only about a foot tall now from the ground (GRRR). Hopefully some of the macs will bloom later on. Almost all my oakleaf hydrangeas are at the "broccoli" stage. And there were a couple of oakleaf plants that kept most of their top leaves all winter long. If we have another winter setback like these last two, I may be ripping out a lot of macs but I hate to do that.

Here are a couple photos of Little Honey yesterday.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, that burns me up. We sometimes get those "late" cold days too but -knock on wood- have not had those lately. But we did a few years ago and I hated having to wait so long for the stems to leaf out again. It's as if they knew I was waiting and looking for the replacement leaves to leaf out. I remember a Big Daddy shrub but not Lemon Daddy. I assume that one is variegated? Probably not a rebloomer so I assume it killed most or all old wood flower buds then??? How do you like that one? I have a variegated too that I flat out even forgot about and did not keep under check but it came back. However, it does not appear to be variegated this morning. But I am going to have to rip of stuff growing around it to make sure.

On today's hydrangea survey, I noticed some flower buds open on the protected oakleaf but nothing yet on the unprotected one in front of the house.

May all your hydrangeas perk up and bloom soon!

Lemon Daddy is just a yellow leaf big leaf hydrangea. The person at the garden center said she had been selling those for 10 years and never saw one bloom but the one I bought there bloomed the next year. Now it is half the size of the second year. Bums me out and I doubt it will bloom this year. Not sure it is a rebloomer. Even my Penny Mac took a big hit.

Here is Lemon Daddy two years ago. It will turn to green as the summer progresses but starts out a bright yellow (much like Little Honey I posted above). Two hard winters in a row have knocked most back to a smaller size and I won't winter protect them either.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

PS - there is a H. 'Lemon Wave' that looks more exciting - a variegated green and yellow leaf mac. If you buy it on eBay from Hirt's I strongly suggest putting their small starter plants in a nursery bed for the first couple of years. I lost several different ones from them thinking they were ready for the ground. Maybe one day I will try them again.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Keep the hope on the ones that "will not bloom". I have an old wood mophead in front of the house that will croak with bad winters and then come back from the base w/no bloomage. I assumed it would not produce any blooms this year and surprised myself yesterday evening when I saw one of the stems had one flower bud that was opening. Just one but, hey, I will take it.

Hopefully some will bloom this year. Even some of the azaleas didn't do well but others did great. GRRR!

It looks like all the oak leaf varieties are going to bloom and Annabelle will also. Too early for any of the paniculatas to show but I have great faith in those.

Here is Snow Queen today getting ready to bloom (these are the lower branches as the highest branches are at least 8 feet tall).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I thank everyone for this post. I was looking at mine this year and wondering if I would be so lucky to get blooms. Some are showing a sign of blooms and some I am not so sure. Most of the growth came from lower down the stems or the base. I still have lots of last years stems that have no signs of leafing out at all. I guess I will be cutting them off.

Same thing going on here. Marie. Now it's two years in a row.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I know. Arlene. One of my lace caps was so tall and full for many years (10) and these past 2 winters has taken it down 2 ft and with less growth on it.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Same here this year with a few mopheads. It's Mother Nature's way of pruning... Ha. I just wish she coordinated with me too. :o)

Marie and Luis: you're both so right! It's twice as bad following the horrid hydrangea year of 2014.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.