Home projects in the mid atlantic forum- May 2015

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

None of us is really going to do that much home repair at this time of year are we?
But if you do, you can chat here.
Came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1385484/#new
where someone was patiently waiting for a flat tire fix.
Someone else is due to post pix of basement remodel.
Another is partway through fab bathroom redo.
Newbies always welcome here!

Picture is view of Sycamore trunk from hammock where we recover form, or assiduously avoid, home repair during warm weather here.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

In regards to my basement repair. We just got the built-in entertainment center installed this week but I just found out I will need to repaint the entire thing. Long story and I'm not happy about it especially since it is planting season. Actually, between you all and me, I'm (insert expletive) peeved off about it. The guy brought a sample by the house a couple weeks ago and we liked it but he never told us that we wouldn't ever be able to touch it up if it got dinged or scratched. That the finish was 'special' and paint wouldn't stick to it. I only found that out after it was installed and there were 100 nail holes to fix. I'm just really sour about the entire thing. I can explain more in person. The fellow that did the job is a close friend from church so it makes it even more difficult.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Ugh, that sounds so frustrating!

We had a close friend from church "fix" my car once. Never again! It literally cost thousands of dollars in extra work.

Oh, those situations are so difficult. So sorry!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Bummer, seq! Sticky wicket for sure.

The fabby bathroom redo which morphed in to adding two bedrooms to the redo project has been slowly progressing. Once the demo was done the rest has been slow it seems?.rewiring reisulating the walls and ceiling, putting in pocket door framework, studding in for closets. He is now ready for drywall. Will rent a drywall lifter to do the ceiling. Maybe the bedrooms will be done before we leave at the end of June for Oregon. Bathroom will be done last. We are having a hard time picking what we like.

The missionary we went to help last summer will be here next Friday for five days. Since the room won't be ready she'll get to stay in the RV. It actually will give her some privacy so it will work out. We're looking forward to seeing her.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol Jan....sticky wicket

Well we came to an agreement that both of us can have peace about. Hopefully it will only take a few more days.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hoping

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

And praying.

The only "project" we've got in our near future is to get the driveway re-sealed and some cracks repaired... and that's not something we will do ourselves. (scary prospect!) We did recently install a new water heater and expansion tank; that went really well. 30'some sweats (we had to re-pipe quite a bit) and NO leaks, YAY! =) After 23 years, we're getting really good at this "working on projects together" thing. ;)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yes, and praying!!!!!

Thankful, speedie, you guys work well together.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That's pretty cool you and your hubbie working on installing a WH together.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

David and I took out our old one and got the new one installed a couple of years ago when ours died. Not fun, but at least there was only the cost of a new one and not a plumber, too. Moving it up the hill to the car to get rid of it was the worst part.

Those things are a pain in the neck (and back) to move, huh? Thankfully we just had to wheel it across the basement.. then some buddies of DH's came and hauled it away for us. :)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

The first sheets of drywall are going in as we speak. I get called to help when he needs me to hold a cross brace for these pieces so he can screw them in place. Small sections for ceiling areas like in the closet and smaller area. Will rent a lifter for the larger areas. He got 34 of the 12' panels. Less cutting. Methinks there is a cut sheet somewhere of all the needed cuts.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That's a beautiful Sycamore tree.

Jan, I'm looking forward to seeing some updated pics!! (hint hint)!! < ; P

Thanks Muddy, the one in my front yard is even bigger
8^O
Not wise choices for this lot, but I didn't choose, just inherited. You'll have to see them sometime!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I'll get one with Jeff posing with it over his head. Hmm.... Do you think he'll mind if I tell him to move back just a little bit then have him say CHEESE. Hehe I won't have him hold it longer than necessary. We(he) only got four pieces installed before it got too dark.

Oh yes, the famous "He Man" pose! =)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

"He Man" is right drywall is heavy work.
Can't wait to see the finished pic.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

One piece left to go on the ceiling after this one. He'll take the lift back to he rental place tomorrow. Then to finish the walls. Coming along nicely.

Thumbnail by Jan23

Wow Jan, it all is coming along VERY nicely! =)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, lots of work!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sure is a lot of work. But, it does seem to be coming along nicely.

I wonder how much he gets done while I'm gone gone for a week.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha....no Jan to crack the whip!!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

No Jan to distract him...he should get it finished. Heehee

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha nice!

Actually, he'll be pining away... no Little Helper Jan to assist him. ;)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

He's hoping that he'll be at the point for me to prime when I get home. Better think about what shade of paint I want.

Ya you better! What sort of color?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

A shade of gray, I think. One wall in the smaller room will have horizontal boards that I saved from the wainscoting. I'll take pics.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

There are so many shades of gray, as I found out when I was picking one for my upstairs bathroom. The shower stall tiles are baby blue, and it was very hard to find a color that looked okay next to them.

I hear tell, there are Fifty Shades...

Heeheeheeee, good one! :)

Well, fingers crossed, we'll be getting our driveway sealed tomorrow. YAY!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--You beat me to it with the punch line.....it was such a perfect set-up....

G.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I was thinking the same thing lol.

Mike, his two brothers, and two of our neighbors worked on the pond stack repair on Saturday. It was a big production, and we couldn't have done it without all that help, but the new stack is now in place. Pond water level is starting to rise, and after a few big rains should be back to normal. I took lots of pictures, but I haven't downloaded them from the camera yet. I'll go through them later tonight and post a few when I get a chance.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Awesome, glad you got it fixed. Too bad it won't rise fast like in TX right now. I saw on TWC this morning that one river near Houston rose 27 feet in 2 hours.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think I looked at all 50 shades when I was trying to pick one for my front door. Trying to find a gray that would hold it's color and not pick up the blue tone from the blue walls was a bit of a search.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Darcy and I are going to paint our new front door soon too. She taped a bunch of swatches on it yesterday. I think we are going to go with a Navajo Red/terra cotta type color.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Red, berry-maroon, whatever, is a popular color for doors now.

That is also what I chose for my new door, and the same color
for my new Storm Door in front of it....It gets installed next week.

I just cannot deal with opening my front door--and there is NO other door outside of it.
Just think--I cannot open my front door and have fresh air come in--as all the
bugs would come in as well. Need a screened door.....

SO--my removed, 36" "Forever Storm Door" is still leaning against my house waiting for a
buyer. I have it on Craigs List. D-mail me if you, or someone you know, may be interested.

G.

Here's the color of my new front door....nice! Matches the brick.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.