Poppy Bloom 2015

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

The poppy season is off and running once again. First blooms opened this morning. This flower is always the first to bloom in my garden.
First pic was a few days ago.

This message was edited May 15, 2015 8:53 AM

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

The Poppies are lovely. What type of poppies do you grow ?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

NJIrisGuy, I grow mainly oriental poppies along with some scattered seed of annuals. I have a couple blue poppies that I got from a good friend (Oberon) in Anchorage last fall that's coming up nicely. Hoping to see them bloom and thrive here. They survived the winter as newly planted plants in the fall so i am hoping that it will be clear sailing from here.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Double Red Shades

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Do you let the poppies reseed themselves, or do you take their seed and plant them yourself? Sometimes I save their seed, then I end up forgetting to plant them in the fall.

How about the oriental poppy. I have one oriental poppy plant and I would like for it to expand, any suggestions? This year it had 5 buds/blooms.

I also have the ice poppy and it comes up wherever it wants, but at least it stays around.

They are always so vibrant in color.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Brenda, the only one that seem to reseed itself is Red Shades. That ia a beautiful poppy you have there. Nice pic to boot. LOL!! I really don't collect the seeds. That could change this year as I plan to collect some from a few and see what happen. I have some more pics to post. Will do tomorrow. You could always dig up the one you have and divide it when it start to go dormant or wait until it get larger and then divide it.
Mike

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Mike,

If I dig up the only one I have, I would probably kill it. That would be my luck. I'll remember about the red shades for reseeding and keep my fingers crossed and leave their seeds alone this year.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures, will look forward to seeing your photo posts.

Mother used to raise the different colored oriental poppies, but from what I remember, they struggled - even though they were big and beautiful.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Brenda most get knocked over by the rain and the wind. You can support them with the grow thru supports.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

A few more pics.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Mike - Your poppies are outstanding. I like them ALL, but the very first one you posted looks like crepe paper (all wadded up). WOW! Very impressive. Bet your neighbors enjoy the poppies and so do the passers by. If they could only last for a month or two. Wishful thinking - huh!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Brenda, just like I enjoy seeing other gardeners garden I am sure they enjoy mine as they drive by @ 40 mph+. LOL !
The flower you mentioned is Jacinth, one of the "Super Poppy" series.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Obviously you know your poppies.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Brenda, the more you search is the more you learn. All you need is time. The third flower in the second group is Shasta, another "Super Poppy". The last pic in the second group and pictured here is "Manhattan" from the "New York" series. Added "Harlem" last month.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm assuming you got your start of the poppies from bare root? Looks like you have studied them intensely. I'm also guessing you used mail order? What kind of dirt do you have them in?

I've caught a glimpse or two of a blue poppie. Hymalayan (sp) maybe? Not an oriental, but a beauty, from what I have seen in pictures.

Yes, I should Google and read up on the poppies. I have a few odd poppies that are not oriental that easily reseed.

Of all the gardening books I have, there is VERY LITTLE mention (pictures) of poppies. HUM! Wonder why? Had not noticed that before.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Brenda, I grow them in compost enriched soil in a sunny location for the most part. Mail order for sure and bare root. Some were potted also.You can get some good info @ onestoppoppyshoppe.com among other places.
Most of my earlier poppies came from gracefulgardens.com
Several also came from here and there. LOL!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Mike, I checked out the two sites you mentioned and found them to be very interesting.

My oriental poppy goes dormant when it gets all hot and dry, then it appears again in the spring. Just curious - How about yours - do your orientals stay green all summer?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Brenda they die back and then in the fall they send up new leaves that stay green for the most part all winter. I will keep a better watch this summer and let you know how the so called super poppies fared.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Sounds great.

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

I had a few Poppies come up this year - but nowhere near the number that should have appeared based on the Volume of Poppy seeds I planted. I want to plant Papaver Rhoeas,
the Corn Poppy, made famous in Flanders Field in France. To me, it is the lovliest of Poppies. But I think it is an Annual and not a Perennial. Does anyone know if it reseeds itself ? (Mike? do you know?)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

NJ, I have never grown them. I am sure some one will chime in on this question. I will get some seeds and sow them. I have always read good things about them.
Let's put it like this, "you can never have too many poppies".

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

Yep, I agree Mike, but I had to sow hundreds and hundreds of seeds ---- and I got only a few blooms this year. I don't get it. Is there something I'm doing wrong when sowing Poppy seeds?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

NJ, when do you sow the seeds ?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

NJ, I just read some good info here on when to sow and howhttps://www.westcoastseeds.com/shop/flower-seeds/poppy-seeds/flanders-poppy-seeds/

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

I sowed the seeds in the Spring, after I bought the seeds.

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

Quote from HazelCrestMikeB :
NJ, I just read some good info here on when to sow and howhttps://www.westcoastseeds.com/shop/flower-seeds/poppy-seeds/flanders-poppy-seeds/

Hey, Thank you, Mike for the link. I ordered their catalog, so hopefully I will be able to Order the Poppy
seeds next year. Thank you again.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't posted on this thread in a long time but I buy my seeds from www.wildflowerseeds.com. They need to be sown in the fall or VERY early spring. It's the heat that kills them not the cold. Also, how deep do you sow your seeds? I too love the Flander's Poppy. If it grows here it will grow anywhere. Lol

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi 1lisac thanks for that source

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

1lisac - Thanks for that info, "It's the heat tht kills them not the cold." It will do good for me to remember that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.