Don't Throw Out That Deck

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We've been recycling old ceder decking from the Atlanta house to Maypop cottage. So far it has become a top for two "kicked to the curb" concrete bench bases, a box to grow potatoes under mulch (a second tier has since been added), pickets for a gate and fence to keep the dogs out of the garden and a planter for spaghetti squash in a rocky corner. I have more plans in store to keep SO out of trouble. :) As for the bench, I might go back and add a headboard or not.

The tub in the photo was from a conversion of a full bath to guest bath I attached the hand held shower (thrown out by a family member) on the post to the garden hose come late afternoon. The water is quite hot at that time. The tub also serves for dog baths and a kiddy pool. I have a basket filled with everything from incense and candles for evening soaks to bubble bath, shampoo and essential oils. There is a "towel & magazine/book stand" made from a log. I placed several bluestone pavers to the front for a clean place to get in and out. Can't beat the view of the garden in full tilt and distant mountains.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Englewood, FL

good job, & the location I beautiful. Tell me how you grow potatoes in mulch.

Potatoes are usually grown in trenches with hills to the outside. They are covered with soil at planting time and then more soil is periodically banked against the stems as the plant grows. Potatoes form anywhere above the seed eyes, along the hairy stems that are covered during growth and before flowering. I plant potatoes about four inches down in the soil and then, as stems appear, I add mulch about once a week. Some people use spoiled hay. I use leaves since the garden is bordered by acres of woods. The potatoes must stay covered with thick mulch so as not to turn green. After the potatoes flower I start poking around the stems in search of small, new potatoes. When the plants start to die down I peel back the mulch and dig the ones that formed in the four inches of soil. I had not grown any potatoes in years because they take up a lot of garden space and are cheap enough at the store but I had a bag of organic red potatoes sprouting and thought it would be fun and easy for the kids to go potato mining. It's nice to teach them where their food comes from.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Just love the outside tub. An outside shower has been on my "todo" list for probably 20 years. Who knows one of these years it will float to the top of the list.

We used to spend part of the summer in Hawaii and our house had an outside shower. It was surrounded by glass panels and lush foliage on three sides. The open side looked out onto a cow pasture and beyond that was the ocean. No beach because it was cliffside. When I took my evening shower the cows would drift across the field to the fence about thirty feet from my shower. They would que up with heads across the fence and watch me. A little unnerving at first.

Well, I discovered the hand held needs replacing pronto. It lasted a number of years but I think it might need winterizing or removal when it gets cold. Soaking differed. Hope you put that shower at the top of the list, HollyAnn.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

The outside shower sounds divine but I knows I'm way to inhibited to be outside showering!

Dahlonega, GA

I have two beautiful clawfoot tubs I was going to use here and in Texas . I'll be lucky if I ever get one set up for here . I'm in the woods too but have neighbors so will have to put in a secret garden . Yeah , right .

My neighbor used to ride her horse on our paths and, even 1/3 mile back in the woods, on a private posted road, I have been caught when she comes through with friends. Tough. She's tresspassing.

I now have a ten foot deep arbor with squash growing where the garden entrance gate is in photo three above.

That's nervy to ride on your property. I would not be happy....

It's complicated. The property is often vacant, especially come winter. Digger has been to Maypop many times and can verify we are tucked waaay back in the woods. We've had problems in the past with ATVers, poachers and partyers. The neighbor dad is head of campus police at the state college and has put a stop to problems while we are absent. So, out of gratitude, we told the daughter years ago she could ride our paths but please call first. She doesn't. Well, she is grown now and married with a new baby. She lives nearby and still rides but we're hoping a busy life will put an end to it. Meanwhile, people come jogging through or go for walks like they're at a public park. There are nearby cabin rentals. We've gone up and discovered empty beverage containers on our deck furniture, religious literature in the screened vestibule and once folks were strolling through the garden as we pulled up. But, nothing has ever been taken and the house remains intact so we quietly grumble and move on. It's the cost of private security.

Dahlonega, GA

Yes , it's secluded . I got lost once just trying to find the goat trail into the property ! It looks like a woods road and easy to miss when driving by .The only thing I could suggest is a chain across the road , but that would only stop cars . Too much advertised security in this part of Georgia would only make one wonder what's being hidden .
I had that problem when living on the lake in southern Arkansas .

Hummmmmmm... well if you POSTED private property signs that would stop the more innocence trespassers. It won't stop the "daughter" she was taught that she is entitled! And... the path really just tells people "hike this way!"

Yep, both the front and rear roads have big 'ol farm gates. We just post "Private Property" for reasons Sally mentioned. We gated the roads after SO had to tow a car belongin to a couple of guys fishing off the back of our pond. Then we went back to fix the tire ditches and clean up their beer cans. The ATVers came later and cut brush around the gate posts to drive through. This is the type of thing our law enforcement neighbor looks out for. I think the concept of 'mi casa es su casa' is Appalachian after all. :>)

I'll try to grab new pics this weekend. Need to come uo with more used deck projects but the motivation is waning now that the heat has settled in.

Yes, heat puts a damper on all kinds of enthusiasm.

Dahlonega, GA

In spite of the heat , J got our back deck finished . We can enjoy it until the sun gets over the house .

Johnny's the man. We've got deck work to do at Maypop as well. If only we were younger and had limitless energy. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. 'Ya know the way that goes.

I'd even settle for limitless TIME and oh ya, some money!! hehehe

Pat, you are very accomplished. Imagine what money could buy...time. But then you'd have to spend time making money. Such a conundrum.

Dahlonega, GA

Sometimes I could cry . I have the want to's , and my body has the can't do's .
J isn't far behind me .

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

So funny about the cows!
Very nice bench and fencing.

We've repurposed our old deck wood (regular pressure treated) too. Figuring, it sat out there for twenty+ years, shedding arsenic into the soil by the house where no one will grow anything to eat, so why not use boards here and there around the yard. One section was cut with the cross pieces underneath still attached so it's a mini-deck for firewood. Other boards are around a large garden bed. Considering how little I am getting to eat from those too-shaded beds, any arsenic still there to leach isn't enough to do anything to us. Or, we can use them lincoln-log style for compost bins.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

We repurposed pur old deck into a floating dock with the addition of recycled pickle barrels. Our only problem is keeping it attached to the banks, as rough weather helps tear put the anchoring spikes we put in.

Great reuse. Unfortunately our cedar decking has a lot of rot so the boards are only good cut or ripped. Our pond dock is treated wood and has become splintered. Don't know what to do about that.

Englewood, FL

Go to Home Depot paint dept. & check out 10X deck refinisher , it's extra think paint that fix your problem.

Thanks so much for the advice. After a little Googling it looks like just what we need! Now that the kids have kids who enjoy a pond swim it will be a big relief to get that dock into better condition.
Laurel

Laurel, did you ever paint that deck?

Pat, sections are painted and more decking is happening. It's thousands of square feet on three stories. Now SO says the vaulted beams that support Maypop's decks should be replaced.

Support beams being replaced sounds like risky and lots of work

Can you see the way Maypop's almost fifty year old deck is supported on those diaganol poles? The poles terminate against even larger posts that support the house. The deck bands on one side are beginning to pull away from the decking due to the pressure of the angled posts. We'll have to enlist the help of some younger family to erect new posts. I think he said 17'. Meanwhile, with a break in the awful summer heat, he's back to the Atlanta decks. I shot the photo from our bedroom deck which needs to be completely replaced. These decks are all on steel. The one he's working on here wraps three sides of the house. There's another under that in good condition.

*edited to add there's a nice pile of scrap accumulating for Maypop projects.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2016 2:20 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

the pattern of old and new boards makes an interesting tapestry.

Indeed. It's old, new and newest. Lil'E told SO he needs to clean the old boards because they have "allergy" growing on them. He's at that age where everything he says is either cute or has an interesting slant.

With my hearing, I'll bet I mispronounce much the same as your Lil'E does!

He was building an "osticle" course with pilloows under my quilting frame yesterday. I'm going to post pics of his latest T to T as soon as I can get to the photos.

Ifantail, how did the NJ lady find out about your wonderful toy chests?

Guess I should have asked Ifantail on his thread.

Well, I won't make a new thread to share Lil'E's project but he inherited a forty year old Peter Rabbit book that belonged to my sister. It had paper cut out characters that were attached to tabs and they would move when the pages are turned. Most of the characters had been torn out so my SIL cut out paper rabbit shapes for Lil'E to restore the book. Apparently he likes green rabbits. Great Daddy/son project on an icy day.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

How sweet, thank you for sharing your pictures.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.