Pallet furniture lets see yours

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We have all seen those pic's of great things you can make from old pallets. It can be a pretty cheap way to make some really useful things. I will say that it can be labor intensive as old pallets can be pretty rough so if you are making anything you want to sit on or handle a lot you will be spending a good bit of time sanding your project to smooth out that rough wood.
This is the patio set my SIL made for my daughter. There are two sections of seating each seats 2 people. The backs are adjustable sorry I couldn't get a better pic of the backs. There is a coffee type table with a drink cooler in the middle if you want to use it that way. Also, there is a small shelf unit.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice work! How do you manage to take pallets apart?

I picked up a couple to turn into raised beds for veggies, and had to rethink my "design" when I couldn't pry the planks apart without mostly destroying them. I guess not all pallets are created equal? Yours are either of much higher quality, or you spent an extraordinary amount of time making the wood look good - or both!

This message was edited Jun 2, 2015 9:43 AM

Thumbnail by Plants4myPots
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Plants4mypots, That looks great. What a wonderful planting area.
You are right I worked in warehouses all my life and there are several different types of pallets and some are def made of heavier stronger wood. We have been using them in various construction projects for 30+ years but not like they are using them now. We used them to line the stalls of our first little barn, stood on end for compost bins, worked great for the sides of the pig pen or an occasional temporary fence
Well I can't really tell you much about the construction of the furniture as my SIL did all the work, I can tell you that he is meticulous with everything he does and that my daughter asked for 3 of the seating units and he told her these two were all she was getting, so I assume that they were a lot of work. LOL

Englewood, FL

Not pallets, but I made this using pallet wood & some old wooden fencing slats, I was too lazy to tear the pallets apart with a hammer & pry bars so I used a circular saw & cut along the edges. I like what your SIL made, very clever.

Thumbnail by ifantail
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is just beautiful. It would fit right into my bedroom. What type of paint did you use on that.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2015 6:39 AM

Englewood, FL

HollyAnn I used some left-over house paint on that one, I usually use what ever I have laying around, Home depot sells their "oops" mismatched paint for $2.50 to $5.00 a can, I just made this plant stand out of some inside window shutters that were already painted white, I just dry brushed some light blue over it.

Thumbnail by ifantail
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Very nice, like the decorative edge on the top, too.

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

This is my potting bench made with eight double concrete blocks and a pallet. How lucky can you get...the total height of the concrete blocks and pallet is the right height for a potting bench (36") and the width of the pallet fit perfectly between the fence posts. It was meant to be! I put plastic totes under the top to store fertilizer, potting soil, perlite, tools etc.

txflowerlady

Thumbnail by txflowerlady
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Very nice work space.

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

HollyAnnS, Your daughter's patio set is really nice! The drink cooler in the middle of the coffee table is clever.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I've tore several pallets apart using a wrecking bar and hammer. It IS work!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I agree, it is work. Many of those pallets have long twisted nails in them they don't want to come out. I saw a pic on Facebook where they made a whole floor from pallet wood. I wonder how much time they spent sanding it to get it smooth enough to use as a floor. It did look beautiful.

Awwwww but you know some of T2Ters just can't help it, no matter how much work it's somehow "better" because we reclaimed something! LOL

Englewood, FL

I'm just finishing a "barn wood looking" cabinet made from pallet wood, I ran each board thru a wood planer to make them all the same thickness (one side only) if someone planed both sides I could see how they could make a nice smooth floor.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I know what you can do with rough wood given time and the right tools. I have a couple of very beautiful oak pieces that my DH made for me from rough cut sawmill oak boards that been used in our barn for about 10 years.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Love the idea of reusing wood.

Jeff has taken old floor boards from an attic of an old farmhouse and made frames. I made a cross stitch picture for the daughter who lives in that house and it is framed with those floorboards. Pretty cool.

I'm going to use the wainscoting we saved from our bedroom and whitewash them after Jeff planes them down a bit to get the polyurethane off and attach them horizontally to cover one whole wall in one bedroom. The reno is coming along. Drywall was a HUGE job. We painted and Jeff is now working on the electrical boxes.

Englewood, FL

This was from Lowe's monthly bulletin, it is made using cedar & copper pipe, you could use pallet wood & PVC pipe, or new or used table legs. Instead of direct planting you could use potted plants, then you could replace them now & then or in my case every 2 weeks as they die off.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2015 3:18 PM

Thumbnail by ifantail

Seriously? every two weeks?? OUCH, that's serious black thumb! LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is really cute.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I have lots of pvc pipe around here, maybe I can get my son to make me one of these. Great idea to set potted plants in it, but I wouldn't be too happy if my plants only lasted every 2 weeks.

Englewood, FL

This one was in wood magazine, it could be made completely of pallet wood.>>>>>>John

Thumbnail by ifantail
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Very pretty

Englewood, FL

Removing boards the easy way. -------This may be my last post, it's a pain in the butt to find what your looking for & it's no fun any more. >>>>>>>John

Thumbnail by ifantail

Awwwww... a saws-all and you're good to go!

I'm so sorry John, I really liked the old format better too. I'm not sure what the changes were supposed to have helped but for most of us, we're not favorably impressed.

Decatur, GA

Quote from ifantail :
Removing boards the easy way. -------This may be my last post, it's a pain in the butt to find what your looking for & it's no fun any more. >>>>>>>John

I agree I don't like the new format either. The pictures are just too small which makes browsing almost impossible.

Back to your picture - what are you doing to make removing the boards easy. I can't figure out what is going on.
Thanks, Helen

Englewood, FL

Helen that's not me I got that picture off of a handyman sight, instead sawing off the slats on the inside of the frame or pounding them loose with a big hammer,which usually ends up splitting the wood he is using a reciprocating saw to cut thru the nails between the slats & the frame of the pallet.

Decatur, GA

Thanks ifantail, I see it now.

Yucaipa, CA(Zone 10a)

@ifantail - I love the plant stand you made from the window shutters! I would like to make one or two for my front porch also. Last time I went to the Habitat Restore, I didn't see any kind of shutters. Where did you get your shutters from or were they already at your house? I know you mentioned the paint part of the project, but can you tell me how you joined all the pieces together? Was it with wood glue or screws? I can see a top on your planter, but did you also put a base on it for more sturdiness? Your plant stand came out fantastic!

I want to eventually replace the outside shutters of my place too. Right now, the current ones are made of metal and I don't like them. I've seen some shutters advertised at either Lowe's or Home Depot. The shutters they were advertising were made of some kind of resin material. What's your opinion on using the "resin" type of shutter as compared to repainting the metal ones on the house now? Looking forward to hearing from you! Take care and have a great day! :)

Englewood, FL

fleur, I got them at a yard sale, they're the type used on the inside instead of curtains, the stand is 10"X 32" high, screwed together no glue, the base is on the inside like a floor. If you more info contact me at [email protected] Verizon.net it's a lot easier, hope this helps.>>>>>John

Oh I like that A LOT! Thanks for sharing!

Englewood, FL

http://www.thesnug.com/pallet-picks/?xid=snug-160520-pallet
Found some more interesting pallet stuff,>>>>>>>>John

Cypress, TX

So i have a bunch of ideas and projects in mind for my extensive flower/citrus/vegetable/herb garden in my backyard (right now its just a concrete slab LOL)...
one of which is hiding that ugly mortar seam running up the side of my brick house by creating a vertical herb garden out of pallets... this all sounded super cool especially googling this exact thing and seeing all the ways in which others have really uniquely modernized their homes until i started discussing it with a garden associate. She pleaded with me not to do that to my house and noted that it will eventually form mold due to the fabric touching the brick and cause damage to the house. So, i was thinking if i could find a thick enough "spacer" type thingy to offset it from the house in which there is at least 6 inches or maybe even a foot it is suspended from touching the brick, possibly supported by four corners...
anyways wondering if anyone has done anything like this, have considered the effects of gardening up against brick, as well as how to in-discreetly run a lovely irrigation drip system because i'm too lazy to care to manually water my plants. Mainly looking for ideas on something to offset pallets that far from the brick that would be weather resistant

Thoughts?

This message was edited Jun 7, 2016 12:09 PM

No ideas from me but I'm certainly interested in the answers to your dilemma.

great projects, thanks for sharing!

Englewood, FL

This will keep you occupied for hours.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/544302304934316747/

This message was edited Oct 12, 2016 5:29 PM

This message was edited Oct 12, 2016 5:33 PM

Crossville, TN

Mine isn't furniture, but you might like it. I used 2 pallets that were given to me...I had to get DS to do the hard work...one side is my scarecrow...and after this month the other side will magically turn into a snowman....OK.... My eyes didn't turn out too well as I have developed a shaking hand in my old age.

Thumbnail by roadrunner

I have saved a HUGE number of pins at pintrest in the pallet art.

Yours is CUTE!

Crossville, TN

I love the pallet stuff...and my computer is like yours,,,filled with things like this. I have 2 that I am sending to my son....a wood storage thing and a coffee table. I saw the coffee table in a upscale nail salon...painted white....went well with all the other elegant decor too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.