June means Daylilies!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Cindy, it may very well be Miss Jessie - I know I had gotten that one at one time from you. It looks very similar except my eye appears to "orange" or dark in my photo, but I will look at the more recent blooms and see. Thank you!

Charlotte, I think this weather has everything messed up......

You are really blessed that Richard is pretty easy going, I have heard of some of them getting so mean they practically have to be sedated all the time. That surely has got to make it even worse on everyone. :( It is such a difficult disease to deal with - and when they get mean and unruly it gets dangerous too.

Ripley, MS

Cayla and I went to see if any of the golden raspberries were ripe before she left yesterday and they have the mealy bugs too. They are probably other places, I haven't had time to look.

Cindy, I started with 2 fans on that Swedish girl and it is still 2 fans. If you are down to one it will probably never multiply. It looks like some of my plants have looked and when I tried to figure out what was wrong, something had caused a hole under the plant. I noticed my single Texas rose that Kenny gave us was looking bad the other day, like it needed water and it was just sitting in a hole. I have also had a tomato and a daylilies do the same thing. None of my tall balloon plants came back this year, the oldest and biggest clump was just an open hole when I raked the leaves away. All of this without any trace of anything on top of the soil, like a mole or armadillo-- no sign of anything until you touch it and you feel it is just sitting there. I filled in some soil with the tomato and bush but they still don't look as well as they should. It has really been a weird year.
Jerry feels a little better today, he has somewhat recovered from the procedure, still no AFIB when we check, so PTL for that !!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

That is good news Sandra! Glad to hear he is feeling better and no AFIB! Do you think the soil is washing out from under your plants? Or maybe a mole or something? sounds odd.
What do you use to treat mealy bugs?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra glad to hear Jerry is feeling better today!

I just made a walk around my yard and mealy bug is all over! On my azaleas, bee balm, hydrangeas, etc. I guess I need to spray with something. I need to google and do some research,

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna Alzheimer's/Dementia is a very very complicated disease. Until you actually have some one with the disease you don't have a clue how complicated it is. I know I didn't! There are actually over 20 different type of Alzheimer's/Dementia (can't remember the exact number). The worst type that causes more behavior problems is Lewy Body Dementia. They have lots of hullicinations, etc. Yes they can become dangerous to both themselves and others. Some have to be placed at some point just to protect themselves and their caregivers. A person can actually have several different types. Each one causes different behaviors as it affects a different part of the brain. With Alzheimer's your brain actually dies section by section. It starts in the front and works it's way around to the back. Eventually they even forget how to swallow. It is always terminal. Yet I just learned yesterday that doctors just starting listing Alzheimer's/Dementia as the cause of death 3 years ago. Aspirated pneumonia is a very common cause of death as they cannot swallow properly.

Ripley, MS

I don't know how their is a hole making under my plants, like I said, it is very strange, but it has happened. I don't think that rose of Texas is going to make it. I cut it back today hoping it would spur some new growth. The tomato that was like that has buds now so I think it is going to be fine. I just noticed these plants were drooping like they needed water, and when I looked at them that is what I found. I found a few mealy bugs on some bee balm and a few daylilies when I went back out. I had a sweat rag in my pocket and I just beat them like Gunny used to whip the squash plants.
I had a bloom on a daylily today that should be 36" tall, it is about 8" from the ground, what a crazy year we are having !!
Another pic of Swedish girl from today, I think everyone loves her

Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Swedish Girl is a really pretty day lily! I love the colors. My spider liies with really tall stems are falling over. They have never done that before but all but one are leaning sideways and almost touching the ground! I don't think I'm going to be able to "beat" all the mealy bugs away!

I have a hydrangea I'm trying to nurse back to health. I had decided to pull up this shrub that sends runners. Well I got so carried away I ripped an Invincible hydrangea right out of the ground! I couldn't believe I did that. It was still raining a lot when I did it so that helped. But now that the rain has stopped it's struggling. I hope I don't lose it.

I'm going antique furniture shopping tomorrow. My friend told me about this place about and hour and a half away. She is only open Fri and Sat morning. I'm taking Richard with me and hope he is ok with it once we get there. He likes to ride but he doesn't always like to shop! I'm taking his transfer chair so I can take him in and he will have a place to sit.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I ordered Swedish girl again from Sterret Gardens . Dan Hansen at Ladybug Daylilies has a edges no eye program . He has some for 9 dollars for a clump of 3 so decided to order a couple different ones from him since he is hot like I am. I have gotten nice daylilies from him before. He is even going to send me some random seeds to plant. I kinda liked growing them and not knowing what I will get. It was fun so time to do it again. I tilled up a quarter of the old daylily pen ( not finished needed my big tiller) and I am going to line out some of my pretty ones in there to maybe sell next year. I have people ask me all the time can they purchase some daylilies. I was going to sell some this year but was a bad year for me. My soil in there has been amended so many times it is black so they should like it.

What types would you buy if you did not know anything about Daylilies. Jimbo likes the round ruffled ones. edges no eyes with green throats are my favorite( Swedish Girl) . What do y'all think buyers like. I figure ruffles first, big eyes second, then doubles/ wide spiders / ufo s then twisted ufo last 10 to 15 dollars for double fan.
I is peacock Maiden
2 is Jackie K Onassis ?
3 Francois Verhaert
4 is elegant Candy
5 is volution
spider

This message was edited Jun 12, 2015 12:06 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Love that Swedish Girl! And Cindy I like all those you have listed but I am partial to the first and last - mainly because of the darker colors and contrast I think. But, I haven't met many DLs that I didn't like so I am not a good one to be asking. :)

Charlotte, your antique shopping trip sounds super fun! I love trips like that.......... I have been wanting to go to the Amity Trade Days and on up to Mt Ida to visit some shops - but so far it hasn't happened. The trade days might have to wait til fall if it keeps getting hotter and hotter! :)

I went back and looked like night Cindy and I am almost positive that the DL in question is Miss Jessie- the center is most definitely yellow and not the orange color that appeared in my picture. Not sure if the camera captured it wrong or if the early blooms had more orange - but the scapes are taller than it says, but I don't remember them being that tall last year - so it might be all this rain. I know you gave me that one because of Jessica - so I am fairly certain that's it.

I have several of Dan Hansen's - I bought them in one of the coops here. They were the first DLs that I ever purchased. Most have done really well for me too.

My friend Lana was supposed to have started her chemo yesterday but it had to be postponed. They had to reinsert the drain tube because she still had way too much drainage and fluid and it was causing problems in her arm. :( I am scheduled to do supper for her family tonight so I am doing a roasted pork loin and roasted veggies (squash, zucchini, onions, red potatoes, carrots)...... Do ya'll think that and rolls is enough? Or do I need to add a pot of peas or butter beans or something? When we have it, we just have those things - but I don't know what anyone else would want...... Suggestions appreciated.

Sandra, hope Jerry had a good night and that he is feeling even better. Hope everyone has a great day!

Genna

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Cindy, I may not be the right person to ask either, but I like the ruffled ones too. And I do love ones with green throats I am discovering, no matter what color. I am partial to pinks (like the Jackie Onassis), and then lightly eyed ones and then you have to love spiders for the contrast among the others. Throw in some doubles with the mix too as they are lovely. And don't forget to add in the ones that have fragrance. The one that is most fragrant in my DL garden is a NOID spider and a named rather small bloom (I think it's the Barbara Mitchell or maybe Eliz Salter). Bloom size might be important to some people. I have noticed some of my large blooms this year are doing great, and in fact only one scape has kinda fallen over. Texas Dancing, Alabama Jubilee, Bama Belle, and a couple of others all have huge blooms (5+ inches).

Charlotte, hope you have fun today and that Richard behaves!

Genna, I think your menu sounds fine. A big pan of roast veggies like you have planned would certainly be enough for us as it contains everything we'd need with the meat and rolls. You are making me hungry!! All the best to your friend.

Almost forgot - My friend in Atlanta sent me this link to the Kennesaw Mtn DL gardens. The AHS is having a convention there this weekend. She said most of the DLs go for $100 and up but this fall they will have them at the Duluth festival for $5-10. She said I should come over then. Guess what I'll be doing this fall y'all?
http://www.kennesawmountaindaylilygardens.com/

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

WOW Elaine.... I am officially jealous!! I would love the chance to snatch some of those up for those great prices! How exciting!! Is that festival at the gardens? Or in the nearby town? That Irish Royalty new intro they have is stunning......think it will be several years before that is in my price range! :)

Thanks for the input on the meal........ I sure hope they like it ok. I have a hard enough time cooking for my own family - much less trying to decide what someone else might like!

If I go in the fall, I will let you all know and can pick up things for you. Or maybe y'all can go too! Don't know when it is, but at those prices, I may have to go and see what they have and visit our friends. It's about 3 hours from here. I sure won't be buying anything in the $100 range!! $10 Or so I will consider if I really like it.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We had a great day today! We left fairly early and Richard really enjoyed the shop we went to. There was a nice front porch with some comfortable chairs he could sit in. The people were all really nice to him. Several people stopped to talk to him and he really enjoyed that. He was doing so well I decided to try another stop and took him inside with me in his transfer chair. I found several things at both places. He really enjoyed it. We haven't been home long. He's been talking about what I bought. Really glad it worked out. He enjoys riding but you never know how it's going to be about shopping. I bought home the stuff I bought at the place that was an hour and a half away. The other stop is only about 30 minutes away and I've got to go back and pick up what I bought. He used to go on buying trips with me a lot years ago. But just hasn't done it in a long time.

Cindy I would agree with you on ruffles first, eyes second and doubles and spiders third. They are more showy.

Genna I'm sure your friend will enjoy their dinner. Sounds really good. We fed the neighbor's family down the street (family of 6) when she had some serious health issues and couldn't lift anything for 6 weeks. I always tried to fix something like you did. They will probably have some pork loin left over for sandwiches for lunch. We (our cul de sac neighbors) fed my next door neighbors for 4 months. They were much easier to feed as they were older and only 2 of them so they didn't need much food.

Elaine I can't imagine paying $100 for a day lily or any other just regular plant for that matter. A tree yes.

Ripley, MS

I don't have a clue what to tell you about daylilies to sell. I love them all and think everyone else should too. The one thing I look at before buying is to see if it reblooms, while I hardly ever get a reblooms here if it is classed as a rebloom, then there is a chance--LOL--I also look at branching (more buds and blooms). But I already have pretty much all colors so I am a little more picky now if I am going to buy. It seems I have a pretty much full time nurse job right now, but I have a beautiful clump of a couple I want to get a picture of a little later.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I look at those things too Sandra but the general public doe not care about names or facts . They react to what their eye likes.

Ripley, MS

Yes and that is why I am of no use to you--lol !!!! I would advise you to keep two fans together when you line out, I have several one fans I traded for or bought and separated and they seem to never multiply
Emperor's Butterfly
Wedding Feast

Wedding Feast is a very tall scape and a huge flower, it will catch you eye from far away

Ripley, MS

I picked up 2 more daylilies off the ground that had a hole where the soil should be, these plants looked fine just a few days ago, something strange going on. Jerry asked me did I think the ground might have been disturbed so much from the cicadas coming out ????? I guess that could be a theory, but it is coming from the bottom nothing is disturbed on top of the ground. I just walked by and saw it looked like it was dying and it came out in my hand. I looked for any more and found one more, hopefully I won't have another, I potted these up to let them recover.
I had to water the tomatoes today, where did all that rain go ???

Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

The daylily I pulled up is laying there, it will recover I hope because it is Lake Norman Sunset, a real beauty, the first one I potted was a noid, and it is putting up new foliage and looking great now. The other one I had to pot is Ultra Plum, both of these daylilies have been here 5 years or more in the same place until today

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra that is really strange! I wouldn't have any idea what's causing it. Those are some really pretty day lilies!

I watered my hanging baskets and a couple of newly planted hydrangeas last night. I was planning on turning on the sprinkler today but I lucked out and we actually got some rain. Not a lot but enough that I can put off watering a day or two.

I've just been pooped today. One of those days I'm just trying to get a few things done around the house. I'm mainly working on clearing out space in the garage to put the stuff I just bought. Yesterday was fun but a tiring day. Keeping Richard entertained and happy while trying to shop was just tiring. I don't think I've mentioned it's been over two weeks since he's had a cigarette!! He just kept forgetting to smoke and I just starting experimenting with putting them out of sight. We were in a service station yesterday and I was waiting to pay for a coke and realized there was a big display of his brand cigarette right above the counter. I quickly had him go outside and wait until I paid! I hope I can keep this up.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Sandra have you ever had signs of Gophers ? Not cracked runs like moles. Piles of dirt or holes that cave in . Their runs are a lot deeper than moles and they will feed on roots. Sounds like something may be after grubs under your plants and heaving your plants up gophers will pack the soil back like it was not disturbed but when you investigate there will be a hole . If you dig further down you will find narrow tunnels/ runs leading to the hole. Just an idea. Can't a aging what else it could be that makes holes.

I went up to my SIL place on D'arbonne Lake today . Her yard looks so good.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2015 5:09 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

She always has some unique yard art pieces. The golf club people and a shovel head that was cut out by laser.

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

She is a single female that will tackle anything . She built this deck , the boathouse and did all this terracing herself with minimal help from others.

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

She is some kind of woman!!! That's not easy stuff to do and especially for a woman! Love her yard and her yard art! She's one brave strong woman! As my relatives down there would say "a Union Parish kind of gal".

Lake D'arbonne is a such a pretty lake. My grandfather walked to Lake D'arbonne every day to fish. He always had a freezer full of fish. He had a stroke while he was putting his boots on one morning to go fishing! He never made it out of the hospital.

Ripley, MS

Cindy, there is not any sign of any kind of disturbance on top of the ground at all. None of these plants have even been close together until the two today. They were abou 6-8' apart, but in the old garden bed, you know, the one I never get cleaned out, but the shed. If something were running around underground why only 2 ????? The plant is still in the ground to look at it, it just looks wilted like it needs water. When you pick the plant up you see it is just the very top of the soil is intact and there is nothing on the roots, it is just sitting in the hole with soil still on top.

That is a beautiful place, is it her full time home? How is your brother and SIL doing now ?

Charlotte I hope you will be able to keep the smokes away from Richard, I worried about him setting the house on fire.

Cindy, were you able to name Playing with Sharks in the Picture? One you got as a bonus and gave me ?

Thumbnail by slcdms
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Still sounds like a gopher to me. No I did not recognize it. It is really pretty. Funny how your taste change .

Ripley, MS

I guess it is possible, Jerry said as far as he knew we have never had any around here, but we never used to have armadillo and wild hogs either !
Playing with sharks hasn't multiplied for me either. If you are going to sell you need really fast multipliers !

Volusian spider is a nice eye catcher too, do you still have some of it?

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Is that red double one of your seedlings? I love the callas but don't have any luck with them here, just foliage and never a bloom

Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Cindy I really like that first daylily. I don't have any luck with callas either. I have a few I need to dig up and move to see if I can get them to bloom. I'm like you Sandra and just get foliage.

Sandra I really like that first day lily.

Ripley, MS

Charlotte, that is West Coast Blues

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Sandra.

I just had something strange happen on FB. I had a notice that my friend request had been accepted by two people. I haven't made any friend request! Both were people in the Little Rock area and looked like nice enough people but not any one I know so I deleted them as friends. Have you ever had anything like that happen?? I'm selective about my personal friends. They have to be someone I know in some way. Now my Cpdesigns page I don't care who likes it and and the more the better. But my personal page is a different matter. Just seemed weird to me.

Ripley, MS

You can expect all kind of stuff like that on FB, probably some kind of scam

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

No I don't think it is not one of mine and do not know it's name. I can not even remember which bed I took that photo.
Callas do not usually bloom that well for me but this year they have. I usually don't have such beautiful as asiatic or oriental lilies as I have had this year either and a terrible daylily year. Go figure. I think we had a colder winter this year giving the bulb lilies better bloom age.

Yes I have volusian spider and it is pretty. Multiplies pretty good too but I think I have just about given away most extras. I am just going to pull up some of pretty ones that are healthy separate some fans off and replant. I am only going to put about thirty in a spot to sell . If I sell them fine if not fine they will be in really healthy soil for multiplying. I am going t9 grow some more from seed just for fun. I kinda like the gamble of waiting to see what they will look like when they bloom. So far I have had some really pretty ones. I was popping my blooms of and not letting them go to seed because of the stress but I have seed pods anyway. Might as well let them mature.
Sandra I love that coastal blue too really pretty.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I do have day lilies and the title of this thread is day lilies so I thought I would show you a few. We did get a little more rain late in the day yesterday. It didn't last long and barely got the ground wet good but it helped a little.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

A few more.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I love the spiders but for some reason mine are falling over this year.

Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue Thumbnail by cperdue
Ripley, MS

Some of my spiders are doing that too this year. I also have a couple of blooms that the scape is barely out of the ground. Did you figure out what to do for the mealy bugs, I am still giving them a whipping !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

No Sandra I haven't figured out what to do about the mealy bugs. I have far to many to whip them in control! Need to try to figure that out. I keep getting more and more of them. I guess all that rain we had bought them on.

My accomplishment this morning was to figure out I could download an app that allows me to control Richard's tv on my Iphone! I'm hoping it will work remotely.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful blooms everyone!

Wow - Cindy, your SIL is a very independent and resourceful woman! Good for her! She sure has her place looking pretty.

Sandra, I had a huge clump of that Wedding Feast that I loved - and I brought several starts of it to Kathy Ann's two years ago. After that I almost lost all of it that winter - not sure why, but I was afraid I had completely lost it but it finally put up one little fan. It is a little larger this year but still only had one bloom stalk.... :( Maybe eventually it will multiply back. That volusian spider is a nice one!

Charlotte, you are so tech savvy...... I have been having SOOO much trouble with my phone and so now they are wanting me to restore it, so I was going to back it up to my old laptop last night and there isn't enough memory on it to back my phone up :( So, now I have either got to purchase additional cloud storage or eliminate a bunch of stuff. Jess is off today so she was going to see if she could weed out some stuff on the computer and I have deleted a bunch of old messages on my phone and working on weeding out photos and MAYBE we can back it up tonight.

Would soapy water help the mealy bugs?? I haven no idea but I know people use that for some things........

We had a good rain off and on on Saturday and quite a bit of rain yesterday. I don't currently have a rain gauge so I am not sure how much we got - but it rained hard for quite a while and dropped quite a bit of water. I only had to water things up on the porch that were covered and didn't get water. Unfortunately, I didn't have a clue that it was supposed to rain and I went out and started spraying RU first thing Saturday morning - and it just started raining on me - the sun will still shining when the rain first started. So, I probably wasted all the chemical.... :( Thankfully I had only gotten one sprayer worth out (3 gals) before it started and was on my way to fix another batch when it started raining. It rained lightly for a few minutes and stopped and I thought it MIGHT be ok because the sun was still out - then the bottom fell out. :( I'm pretty sure that was a wasted effort.............

Apache Beacon, Autumn Days clump; Ginny Mitchell; Hold your Horses; Strawberry Candy

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Westborne Oranges for Christmas - it is much more orange than the photo shows
Wayah Valley
Persian Ruby and Sunset Boulevard
Janie Wilson
Reckless

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026

I saw what I think was mealy bugs on one patch of my echinacea the other day. I sprayed some insecticidal soap I had on the stems and it seemed to get rid of them. I checked yesterday and they were ok. But they had done a number on a couple of the stems already. I checked several other plants and that was the only evidence I found so far but I'm checking other things more carefully. Thanks for the warnings!

Pretty daylilies, Charlotte. I have 2 spiders (Hyperion and a NOID) and they both are doing ok. The one I have scapes falling over is Texas Dancing. It doesn't want to dance much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.