Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

June means Daylilies!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Some of my scapes have fallen over as well. .... maybe the ground was just too wet to support it, but thankfully most of them are standing! I don't have any dancers though :)

Ouachita Beauty - (for those of you who don't know, I live in Ouachita (Wash-I-tah) County, near the Ouachita River, and my kids (and husband) are students or alumni of Ouachita Baptist University.

Rooten Tooten Red; Tuscawilla Tigress FFO; Orange Crush; Sunset Boulevard

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Those daylilies are really pretty, Genna. I can surely understand wanting to have a DL that is named after your part of the world. I have several with 'Alabama' or 'Bama' in the name. I think I have finally finished sorting out the names of mine after the landscape guys divided up, moved, and lost a bunch of my tags. I bought some new tags and re-tagged so hopefully I'm about finished with this task since this year's blooms. I still have a couple of tags to make but that should do it. At least until the next guy comes through and loses my tags. I've managed to capture where things are for now I think by sketching out the locations in my journal.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna I'm not tech savy! I just don't mind pushing buttons until something happens!! LOL I do pay for extra storage on icloud. My Iphone backs up daily to it automatically. I also occasionally back it up to my laptop. I have too much stuff on my phone that I don't want to lose. I have also found that when something is not working right it often will correct it if you do a hard reset. Turn it completely off with the button on the top. Wait a minute or so and then turn it back on. When I upgraded recently I ordered my new phone online rather than having to hassle with going in the store. With everything backed up on icloud it was a breeze setting it up myself and getting everything transferred over. I think that's why young kids are so good with computers, etc. They don't know to be afraid that they might do something wrong. I remember when the twins were 4 or 5 they were playing something on xbox and Jeff told them to turn it off it was time to leave. They said they were going to pause the game. Jeff told them they couldn't do that and he is very tech savy!! They proved him wrong! They had figured out someway they could actually pause the game. He was shocked!

Everyone has really pretty day lilies. I've given up on tags! I had everything tagged and then things starting happening to a lot of them! Not sure just what happened. A lot are still tagged and new things I plant I try to tag. But I've decided to just go with the flow. They are just as pretty with or without the tag!

Sandra, I meant to say that I agree with Cindy that you may have a gopher. I read on another forum or blog somewhere about gophers tearing up the root system of some gardens. In one case a lady was standing in the garden next to a plant and the whole plant next to her just disappeared down a hole. They are generally west of us but they may be moving east. I hope not!

I have gotten rid of some of my chipmunks using the 'Poison Peanuts' I bought at Lowe's. They are in a cone-shaped yellow plastic container and are labeled for moles and gophers. I just found 5-6 of the holes the chipmunks had burrowed and sprinkled a few pellets down the holes. I saw one in the front yard yesterday (had not put out any in the front beds) so I found their holes and put some there. Hope this will get rid of them. You might try it in several places where you found the holes.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I do better with my computer than I do with apps on my phone but I am slowly improving. I have done the hard reset a couple of times with no improvement..... so I just purchased some extra icloud memory and plan to back everything up to the cloud and then restore the phone to the original settings. Then we will go from there. Hopefully they can get my issues resolved. I only have about 20 days of apple care warranty left on the thing but the problems have been so crazy and so intermittent that I didn't think going in the store would help. I finally have ONE documented thing that it has done. I have taking pics on Saturday morning and my screen turned black - wish I had thought to take a pic but I didn't. I turned the phone off and back on but then when I went to take a pic about the time I went to snap the picture these purple lines appeared.... I did snap that pic so I at least have some documentation. most of the other stuff I could never "prove" that it is doing.... but it just hangs up and wont send messages or the buttons won't work, or someone sends me a message and I can see the preview but when I open up my messages it isn't there.......the first time it happened I thought I was losing it - but then it eventually shows up in my messages. sometimes its a few seconds, sometimes a minute or more. Hopefully this will fix the problems.

I need to get some paper and try to sketch mine out as well. I started out with a drawing but lost it somewhere along the way and then lost plants and moved plants, and so I really need to try to get some record. Cindy helped me identify a couple that I was pretty sure I had gotten from her but moved and lost the names..........and then Sandra helped me ID one I had gotten from her. I have a couple more than I think I got from Sandra and when they bloom I hope to get them Identified as well. Then I have a couple of ones from my first DL purchase that I have lost the tags on - I have a list of the options they could have been but I haven't gotten them all renamed yet. But, I have got to get my label machine out and redo some or I am going to be right back in the same boat! My Bama Belle tried to bloom this weekend but it never fully opened........ :( I have had several do that the past few days.

Here is a pic of what my phone did this weekend.... the photo is loaded sideways but you can see it didn't make for a good photo. :(

Thumbnail by gen2026
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Elaine, we cross posted. I will have to look for some of those peanuts! I have tried gum and exlax and anything else people have suggested but I am not sure I have slowed down my gopher population at all.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna it sounds like you may have a defective phone or you are getting intermittent service. I usually do ok with apps. Last summer Jake sent me a message and told me to install Viber. I found it in the app store and installed and set it up then talked to Jake. A day or so later I got a call from Jeff with a very puzzled sound in his voice. He said I was getting ready to add you to my Viber (which would have automatically set me up) and it says you are already on it! I told him yes Jake told me to set it up and I did! I guess he didn't think I would be able to do it!! LOL

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Genna the way we got rid of gophers is with exhaust. We tried everything even hiring a,professional Gopher trapper.I spent hundreds in poisons metal traps and vibrating rods. Nothing worked on a big scale We hooked up flex pipe to a long piece of rubber hose. Then we used one of those metal zip clamps to tighten the metal flex pipe ito the exhaust on the riding lawn mover. We had the tractor type then. Any way my husband took the carb cover off and made the mower run rich with tiny drops of oil so it would make a lot of smokey exhaust. We put the hose down in a run.and closed the hole back up. As we smoked them out we had smoke escaping all over the yard. We would stomp these air holes closed. Anyway it worked we killed them with carbon monoxide. We had them over 8 acres. We never got rid of them completely, in the pastures but was able to control them in the yard.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2015 6:37 PM

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Genna I also reset my phone by holding down the off button and the round button until the apple comes on that is what I call a hard reset. I don't loose any data doing that.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Be careful with the poison peanuts. It will poison cats and dogs too.

Ripley, MS

Genna, you probably need to upgrade to a larger phone, if it is a 16, you can never get complete updates on it. I keep everything on my IPad and delete from my phone. On the cloud I don't have it save everything, mostly photos and my "lists". I have lists of all kind on both, if I don't I forget stuff. The extra cloud storage was 20 when I signed up for it and I think it has dropped to 15 now for a year.

I found the bugs even on a couple of briars at the edge of the woods, I am still beating them off when I see them. Mowed all afternoon today, boy it was hot too !

Cherry Chapeau
Red Twister
Ruffled Lemon Piping

Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms

I know. That is why I poke them down the holes. Our dog doesn't get into the beds and we have no cats. I also don't want the birds picking up the peanuts either.

Here are more of the daylilies. I don't think I have posted these before. Hope I don't duplicate photos of ones I have posted before.

Moonlit Masquerade, a very prolific bloomer
Strawberry Fields (you can see a really deformed bloom next to this big bloom)
The asters and echinacea are also blooming & we have a really pretty show out the back windows
Double Siloam Peony Display
Hyperion

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We got another good shower about 8 tonight. I had already run the sprinkler in the back because it seems to dry out more back there with all the roots. I also have a lot of things that need more water than the front. So it should be good for a couple of days. Sandra when I say the mealy bug is every where I mean every where. I still haven't gotten around to looking up what to do about it.

Sandra you're like me I have all kind of lists on my iphone and it automatically also shows up on my ipad. I even keep prices of items I reorder so I don't have to look it up. What did we do before without all this tech stuff! My ipad has lots of memory on it and is no where near full but it has been slow recently for some reason. I may take it by the Apple store and see if they can tell me why. One of the updates some time back messed some things up. I had a strange keyboard for a while and finally figured out how to get it changed back. I'm still partial to my laptop. The one I have now works a lot like the ipad as it has a touch screen.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We did a cross post Elaine. Pretty day lilies. I really like the scene with the metal bench and firepit! Looks very inviting.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I got to playing with my iPad and solved a lot of my problems!!! Yeah, I had too many notifications turned on and I also had way too many apps. I had some I never use and didn't even know what they did. What a difference it makes!

Charlotte, do you do a quick double click on the side button and delete what items are running in the background? I do that about every 3-4 days and it is amazing whatever you have opened recently is still open. It's like deleting your recent history. Do it and the pages will show up in miniature. You just swipe the page up and it disappears. Keep the home page open and get rid of everything else. I hope that makes sense.

I also turn off a lot of notifications and delete apps I 'thought' I needed and it really makes a difference.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes Elaine I delete items running in the background every few days. Yes it is amazing at the amount of stuff that is still open. I do the same thing on my Iphone every few days. One of the updates I did caused my keyboard to change to spanish!! Everything was typed in English but the keyboard itself showed spanish and was set up different than usual! Strange but after googling I found out that I wasn't the only one it had happened to! I had to set it to another language and do a hard reset and then change it back to English and reset again. There are also 3 different keyboards in US English. Finally got the right one. In one my y and z were reversed! I just had way too many notifications turned on. I also went through all my apps and a lot I had never used and didn't even know what it did! I still have a lot I probably need to get rid of. I just kept adding apps when I got it thinking it was something that I might need. Then I've added others that I actually use. Got rid of all those I don't use
and it's amazing at the difference it made. I bought one with way more memory than I will ever use and just hadn't thought about that kind of stuff slowing it down so.

You wouldn't believe the number of apps "I thought" I would possibly use!!!

This message was edited Jun 16, 2015 8:33 AM

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Well, I purchased the 20g icloud for 99 cents/mo, figured it is worth 12/yr to have all the info saved. BUT, now I can't get it to back up to the cloud. :( I guess our internet connection is too slow at home and we are having trouble with ours at work so not sure it would happen here either. I had it plugged up and "backing up" for probably 10 - 11 hrs last night and it still said it had 12 hrs to go this morning. Do any of you know if I back it up again if it will just start where it left off? Or reload the entire thing? I don't know HOW to get the thing backed up so I can try restoring it back to factory settings like the guy suggested...... I don't want to lose everything I have on it - so I am not willing to restore it until I can get it backed up somewhere!
Guess I will have to try to call apple and see if they have any suggestions. I would love to have a new laptop to back everything up on - but it is really hard to justify the cost since I rarely use the computer at home. Maybe I should just get me an ipad..........

Cindy, I may have to try that on the exhaust! We can surely do some rigging and try that.

Elaine your blooms are lovely!I like that Moonlight Masquerade - I think I had it at one time, but don't think I do now. Like that Strawberry Fields too!

Emerald Glow FFO ; Sweeten Creek FFO both of these were gifts on a DL purchase last year and the first time they have bloomed for me.

Well, Maddie got one part time job yesterday morning and then yesterday afternoon got an interview set up for a full time job! Her interview is a 10 this morning with an allergy clinic. Kyle is working for a cardiologist office as part of Baptist as a scribe and the office manager there asked if he knew of anyone else who might be interested in a scribe job. He told her that Maddie would be except that she needs to have some 'hands on' patient care in order to get her required hours to apply for Physician Assistant School. But, when they saw that she was a certified EMT, they asked if she would feel comfortable taking vital signs etc on patients as well, and she can do that, so hopefully this will satisfy both her requirements for PA and give her a decent job for the next year. It will also be full time!! :) Kyle is also interviewing for a second job this afternoon since his scribe job is not full time. It's at the Lost Brewery - the new brewery opened by the guy who has Local Lime and Big Orange and several other specialty restaurants in town. He was actually just applying for any job like a waiter or whatever, but when they found out he had a minor in Chemistry they said they might could use him on the brew side. Not sure if they will be willing to work around his other hours for that though - so he will find out this afternoon when he interviews. He HAS to stay in the scribe job at least until he finds out if he is into med school to try to increase his odds of getting in next year.

Thumbnail by gen2026 Thumbnail by gen2026
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna you can't back up to an Ipad. Don't know why it's taking so long for you phone to back up. Do you have your wifi enabled on your phone? Do you have wifi at home?

Hope all works out for Maddie and Kyle.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna I don't know anything about this but what I've been told but on the West coast being active in Linked In is extremely important in finding jobs. There was something Clint was wanting to do and they wouldn't even consider him until he had an active Linked In account set up. I think it was the job he ended up getting for the next school year but could have been something else. They don't mean just having an account but having all the information completed and connections. I know Jeff doesn't plan on changing jobs but he keeps his Linked In account very up to date. He has a very extensive resume on it (the same resume you would use applying for a job). He lists all his previous jobs and responsibilities and accomplishments, all his education, memberships, etc. He belongs to all the groups (colleges, employers, volunteer positions, etc) that he has had any affiliation with. Has lots of connections and recommendations. I think he does it just because you never know what the future holds.

https://university.linkedin.com/content/dam/university/global/en_US/site/pdf/TipSheet_FindingaJoborInternship.pdf

This message was edited Jun 16, 2015 11:45 AM

Ripley, MS

Genna, here is Rocket City along with butterfly kisses

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

I have to wait about 5 minutes to upload 5 pictures, I get tired of waiting on them !
Vermillion cloud
Summer snow
Tangled web
Sizzling hot

Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Sitting on a rainbow
Rushing delight
Pink Enchilada
Red twister

This message was edited Jun 16, 2015 8:37 PM

Ripley, MS

Piano man
Parian China
Bright sunset
Mountains bow down

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Hello everyone!! Sandra I am so glad to see that Jerry is doing better. Your yard must be an array of colors with all the blooming going on.

Looks like everyone has been really busy the past week.

We've been gone for a week to San Antonio and picked Jim up and brought him home all in the same trip. We had a great time!!! We came in Sunday but I have been playing catch up since we walked into the house. We had a rough trip home with all the bad weather. Then Jimmy was driving the motorhome and hit a hugh golden retrievor, then Jim hit it with the Freightliner and I hit it with the Mustang. I followed them off the Interstate and apparently dragged the dog with me onto the exit ramp which was the only good thing b/c Rebecca was behind me in their Jeep and it's raised up so if she would have hit it she would have flipped. Behind her was Rebecca's mom & dad with Brooklyn and Peyton in their GMC. That was one trip I was ready to kiss the ground when we finally made it.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

All day lilies are pretty!!! My favorites in this group are Piano man and your ????? spider.

Sandra does it always take you 5 minutes to load 5 pictures?? Mine load in just a few seconds.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri we did a cross post. Glad you made it home safe! That is terrible about the Golden Retriever. So sad about the dog but sure glad it didn't cause you all to have an accident!!

Ripley, MS

I saw all that on FB, Jeri, is Jim retiring again?

Charlotte the ? Mark one was Pink Enchilada, I edited it, yes it takes a while here, some days are better than others

I am pretty close to peak here now and will start downhill around Monday, there are a lot of colors showing now, the coneflowers are blooming and the tall verbena, got some glads opening too
Beyond the blue

Thumbnail by slcdms
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Charlotte!!! We are too!!! All we can figure is that the dog had been in the back of a pick up truck and either jumped or fell out. I don't know why else it would have been on the interstate.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Sorry Sandra, I missed your post. He said if the price of oil goes up, he will go back but they cut their pay so much, IMO, it wasn't worth it. It was also 107 degrees where he had been working. I'm afraid it would have killed him if he stayed.

Sandra your daylilies are gorgeous, as usual. I didn't know there was one called 'Rocket City'. Didn't know if you knew this, but Huntsville's nickname is the Rocket City because of the space and rocket programs around here, so I may have to get that one! I also love, love that blue one (Beyond the Blue). I don't think I have any with that coloring. And Rushing Delight is another beauty. Some remind me of others at first glance, until you look close and can see the differences. Some of mine are beginning to slow down too, but I do have a couple of late bloomers that are just starting and hope to have some re-bloomers in there that will keep on blooming a little later.

Jeri, that's scary about the big retriever! Poor thing, he must have been wandering around scared to death. And why in the world people let their dogs ride loose in the back of a pick-up I just don't understand. Or maybe someone dumped him on the highway.

Wish y'all could send some of your rain this way. We need it bad. It's been about 2 weeks since we've had a drop.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I really like Beyond Blue too. You don't see many with that color I don't have any with that kind of color. I have some of my old double ditch lilies that have come back in the front corner of one of my beds in the front. I need to dig them all out when they finish blooming and I'm sure that everything in that spot is a ditch lily. That will give me room to plant one or two more! There is a day lily farm in Benton which is just about 30 minutes from my house. I've never been. I think I need to make a trip to see what they have. My blooms will soon start going downhill too. My big front bed started blooming later than the one in the side of the yard as it gets more shade so it will bloom a little longer. I do wish they bloomed longer. I may plant some more asiatic lilies. I love them for cut flowers. I have been bringing some of mine in.

We got another rain late yesterday. Enough to keep me from having to water. We have more in the forecast for tomorrow. It has been the kind of rain I like. It's been pretty and the sunshining during the day and then late in the day we get a good summer shower.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Elaine your daylilies are beautiful so healthy looking

Sandra yours are beautiful too I especially love beyond the blue.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Sandra! Your daylilies are gorgeous. I love piano man and beyond the blue as well! and all the others for that matter. I think it is called an addiction. :)

Elaine, Sandra posted that because I had one blooming that I was sure she had given me but I couldn't find the name anywhere. We are both fairly certain that it is Rocket City. I think mine has multiplied pretty well. I will look and see if I have enough to share if you would like for me to.

Thanks for the info on LinkedIn Charlotte. I have a linked in account but haven't updated it completely. I think Kyle has one as well but not sure - I will need to check. Maddie got the job at her interview yesterday. She will be working full time (which is 36 hrs per week) for an allergy clinic. She will be able to count all 36 hrs as hand on employment that she needs to apply for PA school, plus she will have a good working environment, good hours, and even benefits. She was super excited. The pay isn't spectacular - 10/hr, but they said once she is trained she will go to at least 11. They even provide inclement weather pay! I have never heard of anyone doing that!

We made a rush trip to LR last night after we got off work. Jessica had found a couch and love seat on Craig's List and the couple was leaving this morning moving to San Antonio - come to find out the young man is a doctor who just finished his residency and they are going to San Antonio for him to do a fellowship in Trauma surgery. Anyway, the girl had told Jessica that if we could come yesterday she would take 250 for them both.... so we went. We knew at that price that even if she didn't want to keep them after next year that she could sell them to someone else at the college and get her money back. They are in good condition - we put the love seat in the back of the suburban with the back seat out, and then put the couch on the trailer with a new tarp around it. We drove thru some pretty hard rain on the way back - but it only had a small spot of water on it and I used one of those chamois type clothes to get that off of it. It was a little after 10 when we got home and we unloaded the couch - the trailer is still hooked to the suburban and the loveseat is still in the back. I thought we could just deal with it this afternoon. We grabbed supper at Chipotle because it was close to where we picked up the furniture. Kyle and Maddie came to help us load the furniture and sat and visited with us while we ate. She was excited and told us all about her new job - she starts on Monday.

Jeri - so sad about the dog. I would have totally lost it after that. My parents and I were in a really bad wreak many, many years ago and we hit and killed a man standing in the road. Now anything like that triggers a major PTSD attack and takes me right back to the accident. I have learned to deal with it better over the years - but certain triggers really cause me problems and after something like that, I am not sure that I could have driven home without taking a break for a bit to calm down.

Definitely an addiction! I thought I would call it 'done' for adding to my collection, but....
BTW, that Rocket City does remind me of Athlone that Sandra gave me at the swap a couple of years ago.

Excited for Maddie and her new job! And for Jessie's CL find with the sofa and love seat. You do what you've gotta do to get these kids raised (and fed and housed and clothed, etc)!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thinking about it ..... Athlone sounds familiar too - I may still have it as well. I am pretty sure Sandra gave it to me then too.

Ripley, MS

Yep, I have strewn that one around too !! But I don't think rocket city and athelone look anything alike. rocket City is the orange one and the one in the background is Butterfly Kisses, it might remind you of athlone.

Ra Hansen
So Many Stars
Street Urchin
The last is in the mini bed, I can't think of its name now, nothing is labeled in it

Luxury Lace
Barbara Mitchell
Highland Lord
Crimson Flood (Genna, you gave me this one)
The group by the pond.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

Boy, we grow some mighty pretty flowers!

I don't usually check my pics, but I did this time and can't figure out why the second photo looks so distorted. I will try again with B Mitchell.

And a few more.
Bama Belle
Roses in Snow
I forgot what this one is
NOID spider

This message was edited Jun 18, 2015 6:53 AM

This message was edited Jun 18, 2015 6:54 AM

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I finally got the small area tilled and leveled today. Going to put a few Daylilies to sell in there.
Few more of my seedling blooms

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.