Trade Thread for Summer 2015 Roundup

Fort Worth, TX

Don't know how to do this, but someone has already D-mailed me trade stuff, some of which I don't even have.

What I have potted to trade
Peach trees under 2 ft tall, about 4 or 5 months old. Recommend up potting a time or 2 to let them get adequate root system, don't put in ground til it starts to cool off end of September. These are late producing sweet peaches, not cling either, seed pops out easily I seem to remember from when I canned them last year. If I find the receipt from the parent tree I will post variety.

Potted baby oak, and live oak, (except for live guessing variety MIGHT be shumardi but who knows)
couple of ever bearing strawberry plants in 4 inch pots.
2 rosemary bushes that are from cuttings but have established roots and thriving
1 nandina domestica bush (wide leaves no berries rounded 1 ft tall reddish leaves in fall)
many seeds - ask me.

Haven't lifted any iris left, mainly white and lavender available this year, I will lift just before Roundup so they won't be dormant unless you want to let them go dormant

Looking for: Chrysanthemum starts or plants, light bright colors preferred.

Giving: Texas Flower Child - 1 big bag hardwood mulch

This message was edited Jun 5, 2015 8:18 PM

This message was edited Jun 9, 2015 8:30 PM

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you for starting this thread, we need to get busy posting. Finally here is my List.

TREES
2 WHITE ORCHID
1 MEXICAN PLUM
2 BROWN TURKEY FIG
1 EASTERN REDBUD
------------------------------------------------------

SHRUBS
1 FLAME ACANTHUS
1 TURK'S CAP
1 ELDERBERRY
1 CORALBERRY
1 CAROLINA CHERRY
1 POKEWEED
-------------------------------------------------------

PERENNIALS
1 DAYLILY YELLOW
2 WILD VIOLETS
2 WILD PETUNIAS
1 CUBAN JUTE
1 HEARTLEAF SKULCAP
1 ZEXMENIA
1 MEALY BLUE SAGE
-----------------------------------------------------------
1 SMALL CROSSVINE

This message was edited Jun 18, 2015 2:33 PM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Since we are at my house, I am not going to post a long list. I will pot up as much as I can and others I will dig fresh for you! I really need to thin out my flower beds! I have lost so many potted plants this year from neglect since I am so busy taking care of Herman.

I know I will have plenty of these:

Frostweed
Fall Obedient
Phlox Philosa
White Yarrow

Yellow and fuchsia 4 o'clocks
'John Fanick' phlox
'Blue Crown' Passifloria
White Mexican Petunia
Black & Blue Salvia

This message was edited Jun 8, 2015 1:53 PM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

HAVES:

Passiflora foetida
Liatris Mucronata
Mealy Blue Sage (1)
Native Petunia
Rock Rose
Katie's Pink Ruellia
Purple Coneflower (echinacea)
American germander
Turk's Cap (1 red)
Gomphrena Strawberry Fields

**If they survive, I will have some NOID tomatoes (could be Lg. Red Cherry, Marmande, or Pantano Romanesco)
**Cucumber "Muncher" variety

Seeds:
Mexican Milkweed
Bread Poppy (toss out in the fall)

GIVING:
Tx_Flower_Child--Passiflora foetida
Gypsi--Passiflora foetida

This message was edited Jun 7, 2015 4:18 PM

This message was edited Jun 8, 2015 11:11 PM

This message was edited Jun 9, 2015 3:28 PM

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Here is my list...sorry it's so short;

1 Mexican Flame Vine...will pot it last minute as they don't always survive transplanting.
Maybe 2 rock rose if they have a good root.
1 or 2 LA Iris, purple...maybe more once I get digging.
LA iris seeds, yellow...don't know if they will germinate.
Pots & peat pots.

Dallas, TX

Reserving my spot. Will get a little more serious in a day or two.

HAVES:

Enough pots whereby I could actually open a pot store :D
Flats and molded flats
Vegetable seeds (will list later)

Non-vegetable seeds:
5 lonesome 4 o'clock seeds unless I can find more tomorrow
Some very old white datura seeds
Some kinda old purple datura seeds (but datura seeds can live a long time)
What I think are yellow zinnia seeds (Ha! Spellcheck changed 'zinnia' to 'sinner' when I wasn't looking!)
Assorted marigold seeds
Seeds from my red sage that goes by many names so I just call it 'red' but not sure if gathered them correctly

If someone wants, could probably bring coffee grounds - - - please let me know in advance

WANT:

Any and all passionflowers:
Passiflora foetida,
'Blue Crown' Passifloria
Mulch. And more mulch. Mulch, mulch, mulch.
Maybe some compost too.

GIVING:

Pots to Gypsi - especially some very big ones
Pots to Josephine
Pots to everyone!

RECEIVING

From Stephanie: Passiflora foetida
From Gypsi: Hardwood mulch
From Sheila: 'Incense' passiflora and 'blue crown' passiflora

This message was edited Jun 27, 2015 9:57 PM

Fort Worth, TX

Stephanie, is the Passiflora foetida still available and fairly hardy? I lost my red one over the winter and am looking for a replacement

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Passiflora foetida is a native and has survived every winter and flood we've had. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1194/

I have one that I've potted up and more volunteers in my flower bed.

Dallas, TX

Stephanie - If you decide to pot up another Passiflora foetida, I would love one, please and thank you.

Dallas, TX

Sheila - I would love a 'Blue Crown' Passifloria if you have one to spare. Please and thank you.

Fort Worth, TX

Stephanie, It is beautiful and I would love to have one if you have enough The fancy red one from Lowes wasn't very tough.

The other plant I'm hoping to get some cuttings from at least would be chrysanthemums. I lost mine some year or other, probably first drought and haven't gotten around to replanting. I can start from fresh cuttings.

Dallas, TX

Thank you, Stephanie, for the Passiflora foetida.

Fort Worth, TX

Thank you Stephanie for the passiflora foetida! And thank you Texas Flower Child for the pots. At least one big bag of hardwood mulch is yours, AFTER I check it for ants

Sheila I would like to try an Obedient Plant and maybe some John Fanick Phlox if you have enough?

Do I have anything you want?

This message was edited Jun 9, 2015 9:24 PM

Hello Everybody
I posted my list on the top this tread and started a new Attendance and Food thread here is the link to it.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1398515/

Dallas, TX

Thanks, Gypsi for the hardwood mulch. And yes, please, do check it for ants.

Sheila, I like the idea of a plant being obedient. Seems like very few are. (Not asking for one. Just saying.) However, I am anxious to see what you've got going in your garden.

In the meantime, I've got to get out and dig, dig, dig. And mulch, mulch, mulch. Until I do, I really can't think about getting new plants. I've already found that most of what I planted in Nov. not only survived, but are bigger plants than anticipated!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

tx_flower child, I have a 'Incense' passiflora and 'blue crown' passiflora for you.
Gypsi, I have 'blue crown' passiflora for you and maybe a 'Incense'.

Anyone wanting 'blue crown' passiflora can have several in fact. I also will be able to give anyone wanting a gallon of Obedient Plant but only in water. We can pull them up that day.

I hate to mention but I haven't done anything for quite a while in my garden out back because of Herman's hospitalization. I was suppose to be getting it ready for the swap this week, but I had a fall. I broke and dislocated my little finger but it is doing fine with a splint. I also have a sore back, not sure if it is from the fall. I will mow and edge though. You will see when you get here I have a lot to share just can't manage to thin it out and pot it up. It's a jungle out there.
You know if there is only 10 or so coming, we can still have a great time. I for one look forward to seeing everyone. Herman will probably still be in rehab where he is now; he did really want to be here.

Fort Worth, TX

Sheila, don't overdo it. We will have fun. Is Marty coming up? Smockette?

Dallas, TX

Sheila, I'm with Gypsi. Don't overdo it! I know the broken little finger is a real pain in the 'somewhere else'. I broke a little finger once and couldn't even put a splint on it b/c the splints were too long. People always say that what makes humans special is having opposable thumbs, but really, we are just as dependent on our little fingers. I have a cousin in Dallas, originally from Ft. Worth, who also broke her little finger once and we commiserate from time to time. Geesh. I will say no more.

Oh, I do have to say more. I want you to know that I love a jungle. And as you are aware, I'll be opening up a pot shop at your place. We will all have a fine time. And with a small group, it will be easier to visit with each other.

Thank you for the passifloras. I'm so excited! Wish I had pictures of the many different ones that grew all over the place when I lived in Austin. Guess I just thought I'd always have them around to enjoy.

Dallas, TX

Josephine - Does the Carolina Cherry that you have also go by Prunus caroliniana? I've been reading about it in the DG Plant files and wondered if it grows as tall as DG indicates? I don't mind that it spreads and I like that it is a treat for the birds. Could it be kept in tow (in toe?) with some careful pruning to make it bushier? Aside from my wonderful oaks, I have 5 or maybe 6 ginormous Chinese Pistache trees that I suspect were planted years ago by some passing birds. I would hate to plant another tree that would grow as tall.

Could you please enlighten me? Thanks.

Yes it is Punus caroliniana. It can get pretty large if left alone but it is very easy to keep pruned to your liking.

Dallas, TX

Thanks, Josephine. I kinda might be interested. Hate to be picky, but since I'll be digging, what size are you offering? (4", quart. etc.)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

TFC, & Gypsi.... You can dig as many of the 'blue crown' sprout ups that you want. I don't cut them back because in the fall when we have an early freeze there are still some caterpillars out there and the other passi plants die back. I just move the wandering cats over to this evergreen one. Oh and I have Gulf Frit cats on my Foetida, and Monarch babies on a milkweed! You guys just missed a ginormous amount of Pipevine cats earlier this month. They took down most of the Frimbrita and some of the Wooly Pipevine.
BTW I will have some seeds to offer also. Too many to mention, but enough that I can share of most.

Joan, the Cherry laurel is in a quart pot so it is only a few inches tall. All my plants will be in quarts or four inch except one of the orchid trees which is in a gallon.

Dallas, TX

Thanks for the info, Josephine. I'm going to wait and let someone else have a go at the Cherry Laurel. (I swore I wasn't going to get more plants except for any type of passion flowers. We'll see how long that lasts.)

Fort Worth, TX

my cherry laurel took over my garden in 3 years and was 15 feet tall when I took it down and had the stump ground down. It was a bird planted volunteer, beautiful when in bloom but was choking out and shading other plants and a very fast grower

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I've got cannas. Lots of cannas. I'll dig as many as you want. Also, have the Mexican petunias (pink and purple). That's about it.

I would like 4-5 turks cap, if anyone has them and tomato seeds. I'm going to try to start some tomatoes for fall under my grow lights. Is that doable?

This message was edited Jun 27, 2015 6:04 PM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sybil, I have a Turk's Cap and I can bring you some tomato seeds.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Woohoo! Thanks, Stephanie.

Dallas, TX

Sybil, I have a large Turks Cap but don't know how to divide it. Do I just do a softwood cutting?
No 'mater seeds but lots of lettuce and such for the fall. Did you read my question about the heavy clay pot and if so, was it a loaner from you?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I read your post about the pot. I know I did give ferns, but would only recognize the pot if I saw it. Sorry, memory is not my long suit. ;))

I do not know how to divide Turks Cap. Maybe someone else can advise you.

My garden area is not very big, so I'm not sure what stuff takes how much room and what grows fastest, etc. Lettuce would be good.

Fort Worth, TX

I just dig up the turks cap and split the roots, if someone really needs one message me quick and I can find one of the large red species to split.

Also, i have a bunch of freshly arrived strawberry plants, would anyone like any?

Dallas, TX

Sybram - I'll bring a variety of lettuces and similar greens, as well as individual packets & markers. So everyone interested can take some of this and some of that. I think everything I have in terms of veggies would be for a fall garden. But they're all good non-GMO seeds.

If the clay pot is yours, then we're both going to have to be at the next RU. My car is so packed that I don't know if I could put anything else in it. And I'm too whipped right now to try.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Gypsi....I will try a strawberry plant. I have lots of Cherry Laurel sprouts from my neighbor's tree.
TFC....I would look back on previous year's trade threads and see who you got it from; provided it was a pre-trade.
Sybram....I have a pink turk's cap you can have and spotted a couple red babies to be dug.
Josephine...Don't forget to let me send you home with the giant Milkweed!!

Dallas, TX

Yes, Sheila. I knew I could go back in history, Just being lazy. :D

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

All is good with me about the flower pot, tfc. Don't worry about it.

Thans for the red Turks Cap. I'd like to plant about four of them right in front of my house where I took out some Indian Hawthorne. And also for the winter things. I'll want you to give me a tutorial on how th "do" each one.

Sheila, the pink Turks Cap would be nice in my #7. I'll dig the baby red ones tomorrow if no one else wants them, and that should give me what I need.

Does anyone want the egg cartons? I've saved scads for y'all.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Doesn't anyone raise chickens and sell eggs anymore? I have a bunch and mine are foam which isn't recyclable even.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Sheila, I thought they used them to start seeds.

Fort Worth, TX

I raise chickens and give eggs away. I particularly need the 18 count egg cartons, have stacks of other sizes. Will pot up a couple of strawberry starts. Have to go to the bee yard in armor for a little while. Hopefully a little while, a hive has gone hot.

Fort Worth, TX

skipping bee yard and loading truck. message me if you need anything

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Gypsi, I wish I had known you could use them. If you are back in my area give me a call and I will get them out for you. I have 30 of the 18 count.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.