So, what are you reading 2015, June 21

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Sally, I never read Wind In The Willows until about 2 years ago. It was hillarious. I got an illustrated edition which is paramount to enjoying the characters. You simply must read it and to any kids/ grandkids you have around.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

thanks woodspirit, it is a book I 'should' love. I guess no one in my life was recommending classics. I read Little House on the Pararie, Jean Craighead George and Nancy Drew books.
I told a lady on the phone today that her hold for Goldfinch is ready- she was delighted! and I was able to say, I know people reading it and loving it!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I hope you read it, Sally. Meanwhile, I've collected Caldecott and Newberry first editions since my late teens. My kids, and now grands, got/get something from the current lists at birth and then every Hannukah.

sally, you gotta try it. And read Anne of Green Gables, at least the first one in the series.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Woodspirit, Oooooh, I remember Wind in the Willows; I LOVED that book! Gosh, it's been aeons since I read it... I think I'll have to read it again! :)

I just finished reading a "post-apocolyptic" book called "The Infection" last evening, and I actually had a bad dream about it last night! Sheeesh, guess I'm gonna have to look for something a bit more tame for the next book. ;)

I finished "The Goldfinch" last night. Definitely a roller coaster. Unimaginable twists and turns throughout but the end transitioned into a smooth, reflective close. Donna Tartt's ability to describe emotional as well as physical detail is astounding and acute. The tortured soul theme will appeal if you like the style of old romantic fiction (a la Bronte sisters, etc). Don't get scared off by the length which is around 800 pages. It was always engaging and never tedious. Definite recommend.

Don't know how I came to have Zadie Smith's, "White Teeth" in my reads but I'm going to start that tonight. Anyone read it?

haven't heard about White teeth.

I have some New Yorker mags. And Murakami's What I talk about when I talk about running.
http://www.amazon.com/What-About-Running-Vintage-International/dp/0307389839

Son is a runner, maybe I'll gain some insight. Or not. Maybe its just something different.

I'm still reading the Anne of Green Gables series. I thought Anne was daring and different. Also she lived in a beautiful area and nearly swooned over it because I lived in cities in high-risers. I read it when them when I was about 13. I cringed knowing Anne was about to get into trouble again. But now, I find the book hilarious in places, and touching in others. Well worth reading again. The rest of the series will be interest as Anne grows into an adult. I haven't read those and look forward to them.

What I Talk About. ..is very interesting!

'Coupla things...

For you fans, as of today we can view the New Yorker on Flipboard. Of course you might need to install the app. I actually just read about it but haven't checked it out.

Has anyone read Alice Hoffman's, The Museum Of Extraordinary Things? Thoughts? It's very well reviewed but SO put it down. He said the story was interesting but needed to be shorter. I was debating about it.

Taken up running yet, Sally?

Hm, don't know if I can adapt to a non-paper New Yorker! Our library uses 'Zinio for magazines, but I hear complaints from staff.

Murakami's book was right up my alley. Very much like sitting with someone very comfortably listening to some philosophies he's developed over the years, self analysis, and how he's felt about his running, various times, good and bad. Just very engaging, good for us middle of lifers. No, there is no temptation to run!

I've not checked it out Laurel. I do love my e-reader, but I've only ever used it for books, never for any periodicals of any sort. I'll certainly check out The Museum Of Extraordinary Things, that sounds interesting!

I am currently reading Cyndi Lauper's 'Memoirs', one of my birthday gifts. I'm about halfway through it now (started it yesterday) and I'm totally in love with the writing style, it's like she's just sitting here talking to you. She really strikes me as a very genuine Sweetheart, which I am not surprised about at all. Back in that era, when young girls either chose the 'Madonna camp' or the 'Cyndi Lauper camp', I was in the Cyndi Lauper camp, so to speak; I always enjoyed her music very much, it's so "real". Now it's very interesting to read about where it came from.

All my subscribed mags are automatically available on line. Since I continually travel between homes it's handy to not have to carry the mags. Previously there was a tendency for them to pile up. If I see a recipe in one of my food magazines, and want to try it, I can refer to it from my tablet more easily than juggling the magazine.

I'm more a Joni Mitchell type myself.

I would not a have thought C Lauper would write an excellent book. Not against her just that so many people who are famous think that means they can write but cannot.

The Midwives by Chris Bohjalian. I have seen his name but never read any. Really good. Fiction. The thirteen year old daughter of a midwife tells us about her.moms role as midwife and her trial for death of a mother. At the same time a relationship developing between the daughter and a local boy.

What time period is the book, Sally.

Current or at least 1980s which is current to me lol. Vermont.

I was asking because I was trained in the 70's.

The midwife-mom was a hippie, so that kind of sets the time of the novel as early 80s. It's well written. Not sure if you end up feeling it took a position for or against lay midwives. It IS amazing how he wrote from the perspective of a teen girl. OK, review says 1981.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5166.Midwives

I'll check it out.

A while back I mentioned the fishing themed loo at Maypop. I took a few pics with my tablet. Hope that, following Sally's suggestion to edit before posting, they are properly rotated.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

What fun decor!

We just got one updated, sorely needed in the 45 yr old house, very happy.

Thumbnail by sallyg

Really nice, Sally. Ours is 20+ years old and a Goodwill/dumpster diving upcycle. I tiled the floor and counter with cheapo quarry tile and refinished the plywood vanity. The wallpaper, which I hung, was from a fancy decor store clearance table. A custom order that was never picked up. I washed the beaded pine and mouldings and SO did the installedation and trim out. The floors were so rotten we replaced them down to the joists.

Bathroom decor is more fun to me, since they are small, you can find those fabulous clearance or odd things, like that wallpaper, and know you have enough, And the installation is smaller and quicker. You did an awesome job!

Laurel, nice TP creel! =) Sally, I really like how you've updated your loo, it looks peaceful.. which sounds funny for a loo. ;)

C. Lauper's book really is well-written, but of course she collaborated with someone (as most 'famous people' do when they write a book. Between her and her co-writer, I think they did a great job in creating a very intelligent, very Cyndi book!

It was interesting that you contrasted Cindi and Madonna. Madonna was more pop, I give her props for marketing herself. Cindi more sweet but I couldn't get into the crazy outfits, I didn't listen to Joni Mitchell at the time. I can't think of any female musician I identified with.

Halfway in Midwives and he just tossed in another fascinating nugget in the story.

Now got Stone Mattress, Margaret Atwood. The first story was in New Yorker magazine, part of the story. I haven't gotten far enough to know where this story is going but of course her writing is excellent.

That's a brand new one, Sally. You are always so current. I'm still reading White Teeth while SO is all caught up in Goldfinch.

well, Margaret Atwood may be pretty easy to get when new, but Girl on a Train (Paula Harkins?) has had the longest list we've ever seen- was over 800 for a while! Many of the uber popular fictions too, hundreds of holds.
I will get to Goldfinch one of these days. It's just that I came across the Atwood.

I'm always years behind what is hot in literature. Atwood's Edible Woman is still sitting unfinished on my bedside cabinet. At some point I realized it was an early work with what might be considered a dated theme. That was what was making the story cumbersome for me. Still, I hope to finish it.

I nudged SO to read Goldfinch because I wanted to be fresh enough from the read to discuss it. We have spent a good deal of time during our drives back and forth between Maypop and Atlanta discussing the characters and themes.

Off topic- Laurel, we watched a documentary last night about Miami, focused on the drug trade coming in the 70s/80s, the violence, police corruption, Medellin, Mariel boatlift, finally the prosperity that followed the money that came in, and renewed popularity of Miami as a glamour city ... interesting history that I only knew bits of.

Was it on regular TV? Do you recall the title? I grew up there in the fifties and sixties and spend time there because my whole family, immediate and extended, is there. It was very grand when I was growing up though always corrupt. Pre-mafia gangsters in the twenties and forward, Mafia in the fifties until the Kennedys made it their mission to clean up crime (illegal gambling, prostitution and racketeering) then came the coke cartels. Laced with that there was Batista and the Cuban missile crisis where we sat under our school desks with our heads covered many times a week or day while the air raid sirens screamed, the Bay of Pigs invasion, the Mariel refugees and the influx of Haitian refugees in the eighties with a resulting AIDS epidemic. Our youngest was born there in '86 and required many transfusions before the advent of AIDS blood screening. We were told afterwards that he would have to be tested regularly for the next five years. It was like growing up in a war zone to the extent that it seemed normal to me.

What a mess! Oh thank heavens he's OK.

I should talk- Baltimore is my 'home town' but it's got serious problems. More accurately, certain demographic groups in B-more have very serious problems.

Mark (hubby) found the Miami doc so I will let you know. Most likely Netflix.
Boardwalk Empire set the scene for us a bit when it introduced alcohol smuggling into South Florida in the Prohibition era.
Of course, we all know JFK was killed to get Bobby off the backs of the Mafia. (a book Mark just read)
And we watched another documentary (DS is King of documentaries these days LOL) that stated that John Rockefeller was a key figure in getting alcohol production at home banned so that all cars would have to buy his gas. Which led to alcohol smuggling. And so it goes...

We are so very fortunate. He was born fifteen and a half weeks early and weighed one pound. Years of monitors, PT, OT surgeries and facilitation. My nursing skills went from an outside profession to an inside one. He will never be a great athelete but he was earmarked for the Duke TIP (talent identification program) when he was eight. SO put him on a keyboard at eighteen months. He couldn't tie his shoes until his mid teens or hold a pen/pencil to learn to write but he can keyboard at amazing speed and taught himself to take apart and rebuild cars, computers, collectible gaming equipment and pinball machines. He is a savant in some ways and has those challenges. We are very proud of him after being told be would be our "forever child" and joke that his mind moves in mysterious ways. I have no problem understanding him nor do our quirky friends but he is noticibly unique. He lives in a house that he maintains, pays his bills and manages his life 100% independently. He works full time as a technology geek and freelances his other interests. Most important, and probably his biggest challenge...he stays connected to family. And did I say he reads incessantly? Non-fiction technology of course. :)

Well, now I am totally off topic but you struck a chord, Sally. I get teary when remembering those years.

That's a wonderful success story! A friend's son and wife had a one pounder this year, and I know with 2015 technology that was a huge challenge. Your boy is nearly, maybe truly, miraculous.

Cocaine Cowboys on Netflix

I watched that several years ago. The notion that Miami Beach was a sleepy town for retirees until the coke years is highly inaccurate. Miami Beach was all glitz and glamour prior to tbe seventies. It was all about shows and show girls, the rich and famous and the rat pack. It was winter home to blue bloods, international jet setters and stars of every stripe. Miami Beach investors, those who built and ran the fabulous hotels struggled and failed to broaden legalized gambling regulations for years. They were counting on winning the gambling vote to ensure the economy of the time. The government seat is in the northern part of the state and the state outside of S. Fl. is historically conservative. The inability to successfully turn Miami Beach into what is today Las Vegas (a concept that existed before Las Vegas was conceived) killed Miami tourism and turned it into a mecca for cheap vacations and a place to stash elderly family members. The once fabulous hotels became derelict boarding houses for seniors on fixed incomes in the 70's and 80's. During this period, America closed down state mental health institutions. We now had medications to control mental illness and turned out life-long psychiatric patients into the streets. Tens of thousands of people across America were given thirty day prescriptions and a one way ticket to the city of their choice. There are similar programs today in towns that want to reduce their homeless populations or newly released felons. There's no problem moving drugs through S Florida with the chaos of that time.

Really interesting added dimensions/corrections to the story, thanks

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I just finished reading- A KILLING AT THE CREEK by Nancy Allen. It was a very good book.

thanks, I'll look it up

Looks interesting. I've got a way to go on White Teeth.

I'm really enjoying Stone Mattress. Main characters so far are all "middle aged" which is nice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.