June is Summertime-2015

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I guess it's time for another thread and hope that there are SOME farm peeps still out there that will come here and chat.

We've had quite a bit of rain here the last 2 or 3 weeks. The guy that rents our cropland decided to mow down ALL his hay (they were predicting rain for that time frame). He got it rained on.......about 300 acres.

The SU and I had a 4 day milking job last week from Wed. thru Sat. pm. 80 cows and not too many outside chores for him to do.

This coming Sat. we start an 8 day gig; only 50 cows this time. The SU will have more outside chores, but they aren't too horrible and complicated. Our next job isn't till the last day of July and 1st of August.

The SU has been helping a couple neighbors make hay and I have still been going to the local sale barn on Monday and Wednesday afternoons for the calf sale part of it.

Last Saturday was my Sheep and Goat auction paper writing day, and this coming Friday I have to write health papers for a dairy sale at another local sale barn.

Our heifers that we are caring for for the neighbor are looking good and eating their daily silage feeding. No bad feet, and nobody looking skinny and ill.

Our yard has been growing great guns, but looks SO nice after we get it mowed.

Let's hear what you all are doing.

Richmond, TX

What I am doing mainly is shredding pastures. We have had record amounts of rain for the past six weeks and the pastures are finally recovering from the drought of 2011. Added to the extra moisture is the fact that we are still understocked so the grass is waist high in spots - and everything is very green, which is unusual this far into the summer. Perhaps it is time to add replacement heifers, but I have been gradually increasing the egg production side of the farm which is less at the mercy of rain or drought.
(Anna will be glad that I am not going to mention our hyper-intelligent pigs.)
The fruit trees also did exceptionally well this year: the citrus trees were loaded down to the point of breaking, and they are putting on a new crop equally heavy for the coming year. The peaches just finished, and the pears will be ready in a couple of weeks. The trees are old and always lose limbs when we get a heavy crop.
We also board racetrack pensioners and their feed bill has dropped because of the great grazing. I am expecting a couple more any day now. We did have more hoof problems during the wet weather than normal.Thoroughbreds often do not have very strong feet.
The other thing I am doing is fighting mosquitoes and gnats - the only real down side of the rain.
Our yard is a mess. In my rush, I have just been mowing it with the shredder too - rather crude.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Hyper-intelligent pigs???? Bwahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa...........surely you jest. Cannot use those 2 words in the same sentence.

Richmond, TX

I got a response didn't I?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

You and I must be the only 2 farm people left here.

Had a big dairy sale today, almost 300 head. I was there 3 3/4 hr. doing papers.

Richmond, TX

I spent most of the day doing fence repairs - not my favorite, but it beats any kind of paperwork!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I HAVE to do my bookkeeping, and SOON............I am 3 months behind.

Richmond, TX

What a drag!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Started an 8 day milking job this morning. It's only 3 1/2 miles down the road, so I rode my bike down. The SU was still occupied when I got done, so I rode it back home again. LOL

This job isn't too bad, only 50 cows. The only nasty part will be if it rains a bunch again; they will get SO horribly muddy. Eeewww.......... And cows being cows, they do look for the swilliest place to lay down, be it pasture or barnyard. The SU thought our cows were so brainless; he is finding out that they are all the same. Cow brains, pig brains...........all to miniscule to measure.

Richmond, TX

Our brilliant cows like to graze in the ditch that drains the east pasture - even though it is the only place that is always swarming with mosquitoes. I have considered fencing it off because having them stomping around in it also interferes with the water's ability to move on through - more mosquitoes!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Come on, all you lurkers that read.................PLEASE pop in and say "hi".............just 9 more hours left in June to make a statement.............

I told the SU that he didn't need to rush back from his brush-hogging in the pasture as I would probably ride my bike down to the milking job and he could come later. It's only 3 1/2 miles, takes me about 20 minutes if I don't gag out on the big hill. LOL

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm not a farmer just a lurker. When I was young I thought I wanted us to farm, still sometimes think that but am lazy and I know that is not the way of a farmer.

Richmond, TX

Yay! At least one voice from the shadows. C'mon the rest of y'all speak up!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

New month, new thread. Or will it be just me and Porkpal????

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1400064/

Richmond, TX

I'm trying to do my part...Let's go farmers: July - a new start!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images