SOLVED: Can you identify these sticker weeds?

Mc Call Creek, MS

Since Hurricane Katrina, our yard has been inundated with several varieties of what appear to be very close weed cousins. Although there are several different sizes of the leaves and stems, they all bear tiny, tiny white flowers with four petals, each directly across from another petal. The center of the flower not perceptible. As the flowers age, each one forms a sticker burr like a sand burr....very hard and very sharp and very hard on bare toes in sandals. These burrs are seeds which obviously reseed and make more of these little horrors.

I was unable to get a good picture of the flowers. However, I am desperately looking for a way to get rid of them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thumbnail by TrixieM Thumbnail by TrixieM Thumbnail by TrixieM Thumbnail by TrixieM Thumbnail by TrixieM
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I do not know what it is, but pulling it out before it sets seed seems like a reasonable first step in controlling it. If you can dig it out with the root there is less chance of it coming back.

You can also look into herbicides, if you are willing to go that route.

Hot Springs National, AR

It's a bit strange, but after so many years I'm curious to find out if I managed to deal with these plants and find out what it is in general?
I like how they look in the photo!

Portageville, MO

I wonder if you managed to get rid of these plants in so many years. I also wonder what memories of Hurricane Katrina do you remember? We mentioned it at school and I decided to ask real eyewitnesses about the most powerful hurricane in US history. We even had to write an essay about this hurricane and I then used https://paperap.com/free-papers/hurricane-katrina/ to prepare and write the paper. This resource helped me a lot, so I recommend it to all students who have troubles with writing assignments.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2021 2:58 AM

This message was edited Oct 6, 2021 3:01 AM

This message was edited Oct 6, 2021 3:02 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.