Harvest Apples

(Zone 5a)

We have 2+ bushels. I had only wanted a dozen apples at most to try a pie recipe that requires either Harvest or Transparent apples. The person with the tree said they would appreciate if we could take a lot of apples, so that much fewer for them to clean up later. They already canned as much as they wanted.

They are a good sauce apple, I am told, but require a lot of sugar because they are tart. My sauce usually is made with sweet apples so I do not have to add sugar.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with these besides sauce?
Thank you very much.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Try to make an Apple chutney

3.1/2 lb cooking apples, peeled and diced
1.1/2 lb light sugar, if possible use muscovado sugar
1. lb raisins
2 medium onions, finely diced
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
3 cups cider vinegar
Makes approximately 2.5L (~5 US pints)

Use a large heavy-based pan, put all the ingredients and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to the boil over a medium heat, and then simmer uncovered until the mixture is thick and pulpy, takes between 1 and 2 hours, but do keep an eye on the simmering mixture in case yours thickens sooner, check regularly after the first 40 minutes or so.

Once your mixture has achieved a thick consistency, turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool.

Ladle the spiced apple chutney mixture into the sterilised glass jars. Seal and label.

This apple chutney recipe is ready-to-eat straight after you've cooked it, but will taste better if you allow the chutney to mature, I feel, it tastes best after 3 months or more. The unopened jars will keep for up to 2 years or so, if you can keep them that long... Once opened, the chutney should be kept refrigerated and eaten within 3 weeks.

You can reduce the sugar if you do not like it that sweet, also you can add other spices likecurry paste; or some mixed spice, cardamon, or coriander seed; fresh ginger instead of dried; mixed dried fruit instead of dried raisins

Virginia Beach, VA

Apple chutney sounds good. I use to make mango chutney

This message was edited Jul 22, 2015 6:28 PM

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Yes, I love it.
It is a condiment that provides a sweet and sour taste and can be from mild to very hot and spicy. The sugar, spices and vinegar adds flavor and ensures the chutney will keep for a long time. I use it with any meat, the tart flavor combined with a touch of spice compliments beef, lamb,pork and chicken.

Chennai, India

Test one of the apples from the tree to test its ripeness. Cut into the apple to check for brown seeds instead of the white seeds that appear in immature apples. Look for flesh that is white instead of tinted green. Taste the apple to determine if its full flavor is present with the tartness of nearly ripe apples gone.

Apples continue to ripen after they leave the tree. When fully ripe they become mealy. Many apples will begin drying out immediately after picking and some may lose their quality in just days. The store fruit that we are accustomed to has been waxed to keep its moisture level sealed.

varieties of apples?

Red Delicious. Crunchy and Mildly Sweet. Meet the world's favorite snacking apple.
Gala. Crisp and Very Sweet. You'll go gaga for Gala!
Fuji. Crunchy and Super Sweet.
Granny Smith. Crunchy and Tart.
Honeycrisp. Crisp and Distinctly Sweet.
Cripps Pink. Crunchy and Sweet-Tart.
Golden Delicious. Crisp and Sweet.

Health benefits:

Apples are extremely rich in important antioxidants, flavanoids, and dietary fiber. The phytonutrients and antioxidants in apples may help reduce the risk of developing cancer, hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease. This article provides a nutritional profile of the fruit and its possible health benefits.

Thumbnail by Ansio

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.