Lost cat appeared

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Every summer it seems we get a new cat show up here, hungry, etc. This one is a very loving cat,as soon as the door is open the cat comes in, jumps up on our laps and just wants attention. It is an old cat, a Siamese, looks like a sealpoint, might have some mix, but is very loving, as I said, old, and a bag of bones. Eats everything in sight, including the dog's food when Candy isn't looking. I don't know what it takes to fill the cat up, can't just keep feeding it. My 2 cats don't mind it being around at all. I do want to find the owner. Sometimes folks take their animals with them on camping trips, (we live in a very rural area, lots of lakes etc.) But cats???? I can see dogs. How do we find the owner in that case? The cat came and got some food, then we didn't see it for a couple of weeks. Then here it comes again. This has gone on for over a month. But this time it seems to want to stay. The cat is old, a bag of bones. Ravenous. What is the best food to give it in this case?

A lot of the cats that show up have obviously been dumped off by city folks thinking the farms need "barn cats". Can't believe what I call them in my mind. Usually they are pregnant, and show up in a week or 2 with a litter of babes. Those we take to the "no kill" Pet Rescue. Some are ferals. You really don't know what we get out here in the "farmland".

Any suggestions on what to do, what to get this one to fatten it up some? I really feel sorry for it. It is such a loving cat. Want to find the owner, but. . . . . . .

Jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Also forgot to say, this time it showed up, it has a hole in it's chest. Looks like something might have gotten hold of it. more like it was torn and fairly deep. Called the vet, but they don't have time to see it until tomorrow, Wednesday. We put some Neosporin on it, maybe it will heal on it's own. It does not appear that someone shot it. Maybe a predator. Has long toenails, I would love to cut, but if it is going to be out in the wild, it probably needs them so I won't.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Jen, when you take the lost cat to the vet they can scan it for a micro chip
that would identify the owner. I work at an animal shelter and all our dogs
and cats are micro chipped before adoption. Small, frequent meals are
best for recuperating cats or dogs so their system isn't overwhelmed with
too much food at a time. They will gain weight gradually but steadily if
their system has time to digest what they eat. If it is an older cat it's teeth
may not be in good shape so you might want to offer paté type canned
food rather than something with chunks in it.

You're a good person. Here in Albuquerque we get animals dumped by
the side of roads or worse. The cruelty of some people boggles my mind.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Might have a case of worms too. I'd take care of that first off. If it does have an infestation, kitty won't gain weight as the worms will take the nourishment.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Anna, I forgot all about worms. Boy, you can see how long it has been since we have had strays. Last year we had a mama cat and let her stay and fed her until she had her kits, and brought them down, fed them all for a bit, then took them to the Pet Rescue. Yes, "no kill". We will take the new one to Pet Rescue and see if they will scan for a chip, have them give us (sell) us worming meds, see what a scan shows, and take it from there.

You are so right. She/he eats like never had a meal before, but doesn't put on any weight. Boy, hope my cats don't get worms. That cat is eating out of their dishes. What do you think?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Worm dope is cheap..........I'd give it to them all.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Good idea. Any certain brand that you prefer? Maybe the reason I never think of worms is because my 2 cats are so fat. Not unhealthy fat, but next to the other one they seem like it.

Bob just told me that the rescue doesn't have a scanner so he will take it to the vet and have them scan it, then go somewhere else for worm meds. I told him if he goes to the vet with it he won't get out of there with less than a couple hundred dollars billed. I think with all my animals we support that vet. But, if we have them, they are going to be taken care of.

If we can find an owner, we will take it from there as to what they want, however I think before turning the cat over to anyone we will treat it for worms. So glad you reminded me about them.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I don't know price re: worm stuff..........I would get Panacur (sp???) from the vet, it just treats worms. I gave that to the outside/barn cats. Works good. Maybe you could just ask for some of it from the vet?? If memory serves, you give it once a day for 4 days, then in 2 weeks for 4 days again. I think the 2nd time gets the eggs that have hatched in the intestines.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Bob usually takes the animals to the vet, but I will have to ask him. I think my sister buys meds and food even from the vet. She uses the same one we do. So, I will have him write it down and see if they have it. Actually, the woman with the feed store sells a lot of that stuff too. Maybe have him go there first. Then he can just tell the vet he is treating for worms already.

I will google Panacur and see if that is the right spelling just to make sure he gets it. Do you put it in his food, or force it down? He's a tough cat so hope in his food. Bob clipped his nails 'cause you couldn't even let him sit on your lap 'cause he always stretched his claws. I hated to have him clip them 'cause he is outside in the wild and might need them for predators, but it was a toss up. Couldn't have him clawing. He did break the skin once and got some Neosporin on it fast. I have heard some pretty bad problems with cat scratches that I didn't know about.

The young son of my hair dresser got scratches by his own cat and they had to even put a tube thru his groin up to his heart to treat whatever it caused. Can;t remember what it was, but the kid even lost a year at school, had to take the year over it was so bad. Took all that time to cure it. Guess he is fine now, that was a few years ago.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I think Panacure is a pretty common de-wormer. I know it's used for sheep too.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Anna, we are going down to our town that is a bit larger for an Physical Therapy appt. either Monday or Tuesday so will get some then. It is 50 miles away so don't want to run down there for every thing. We try to have a list of things. Will put it on the list. lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

According to folks on google, like Foster & Smith, Panacur is a prescription. So, looks like the vet will have to prescribe it. lol, and then turn around and just happened to have some to sell. I will tell Bob no shots. I think they do have worming shots don't they?

So, now we are into all the expensive stuff unless Bob pops the vet. lol, he said he was going to tell him just to scan for a chip. We'll see. Spending money on animals is one thing if they are yours or mine. But, to spend all the money on someone elses animal won't happen. I don't think.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Panacur is not a shot, it's an oral medication.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

No Anna i didn't mean it was. I just meant that the vet was not to talk Bob into shots for worms. I spend enough money on our own animals. First we see if we can find the owner. If not, then we decide what to do with the cat. Either keep it and spend a fortune on it, or take it to Pet Rescue and let them spend a fortune. Easier for me to give them a donation.

It is a nice cat, but very old, I can tell. The eyes look like they may have cataracts. and take it from there down. It could easily cost us $500 to get this cat back in shape. and then still have an old cat. But a nice one. LOL, can you see me for what I am:?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Let me tell you a story, Jnette...............last year about this time a 10 week old kitten appeared here..............I'm sure she had been recently been dumped off, as she was still in reasonably good shape. The SU said "well, I suppose we could bring her in the house", which necessitated a trip to the vet to make sure she did not have any communicable diseases. Approx. $200.00 later, Button kitten was deemed healthy, after blood tests and a worm pill.

A month later another kitten showed up, about the same age, 10 weeks or so. This poor kitten had an amputated tail, with only about an inch of bone showing, plus a good, healthy (???) case of maggots in the wound. The SU said "Button needs a playmate"..........Well, of course I had to take her to the vet because of the nastiness of the wound..............One worm pill, one blood test, and one surgery to take care of the tail later (and my purse almost $300.00 lighter) Grizabella joined the "house herd", which now numbers 5. *sigh*. In January, we did the responsible pet owner thing and Button and Grizabella both had their lady parts removed. I think that came to $250.00 for both of them.

They were not littermates; we have no idea where Button came from. Grizabella, however, had gotten up in the engine compartment of the neighbor's truck and fallen out when he drove by here. I'm sure it was an altercation with the fan in the engine that caused the tail amputation. Those kitties are now BFF's. LOL

Grizabella is the calico. I gave her that name because in the musical "Cats", Grizabella was the glamour cat that left the other cats, fell on hard times, and came back. I guess losing your tail would classify as being a "hard time". :>)

So, I guess I am telling you this because if we love kitties, we will do whatever we need to because it is the right thing, if they be ours or not. And if we shell out the money, I think that it kinda makes them ours..............

This message was edited Aug 2, 2015 6:15 AM

Thumbnail by Anna_Z Thumbnail by Anna_Z Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Thank you for the cute story Anna. Let me ask you, you say #5. Is that #5 cats, or are the other 3 dogs? If cats, how did that work out? Bob found a kitten one time in a parking lot, and when he brought it home, the older cat that we had tried to kill it. We got it out of there fast. She was furious. I have never seen a cat act like that.

Just curious because actually, this cat and my first 2 get along fine. They snarl at each other once in a while, but on the whole, the original cats even let this one eat out of their dish which I tried to stop, but I was too late. I suppose if the cat has worms it was already too late. Bob bought some OTC worm meds yesterday and treated the cat right off. Doubt they will work, he got them at the local grocery store. But, he's trying anyway.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Yes, it is 5 cats. Not dog people here.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

And they allowed the kittens? You know, I have heard it said that some cats and dogs both feel that they are being replaced when they get old and you bring in a young cat. Isn't that sad?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

My other kitties are rather stand-off-ish and as long as the juvies didn't bother them, everybody was pretty much ok with it. Oh, there was the occasional obligatory hiss and paw swiping, but that's about it.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

And Anna adopted one of mine who was having stress problems, due to one our young feisty girls wanting to play, and being naughty in the house i.e., peeing on things, so Anna generously offered to let her be one of her outdoor kitties. Oh, she didn't mention outside kitties did she... Hmmm. Although she spent one night outdoors in the cat pen, she soon batted her big blue siamese eyes and Anna brought her inside, where she was crated for a while. She's behaving nicely now, and the other insiders don't bother her at all. We spend hideous amounts of money on vet bills, high end food, and stupid toys and my children's inheritance is non existent at this point. My oldest is 15, and she has tolerated several new arrivals without any fuss.

You could take her to a no kill shelter and let them fix the poor thing up and then adopt her. I'm half serious....

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

No, no........Sheila, I CANNOT take another kitty..............I feel like a no-kill shelter...........I have no more room at the inn.................

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I didn't mean you, I meant Jnette!!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL.............I know you did, but I HAD to get that in. :>)

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

😀

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

:~P

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, behoove it for me to say I am in the same position as Anna. No more room. I have a dog and she wants a pal. I have been looking. But, no more cats. Unfortunately, I know Sheila really means it. I could not do that to them. The shelter. As I said before, if they could get it done at a reduced rate, I might pay for it and end up taking the cat. Bob is a real softy. However I have medical problems too so between us all, my social security doesn't go very far.

I also think the cat has cataracts. I guess I would have to defer to folks at the shelter and the vet to give me some cat information on this one. I really don't know them well enough to know about him. Bob says it's a him, but Bob is a city boy, and I haven't bothered to look. I don't like to touch the cat if it has worms. Isn't that awful, and he is such a loving cat. Just wants to get pets on your lap all the time. My girls have been spayed a couple years ago, 4, I guess, and he doesn't try anyrthing funny, and I don't see him spraying, so don't know. He does go outside a lot because the doors are open now. I think he might be using the litter boxes. Don't know.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

If it's a no kill shelter, someone will probably take pity on the poor guy and give him a home. Cataracts aren't uncommon in meezers and he seems to be pretty old. He's obviously had a home but been separated from it for some time. Poor guy.

Dahlonega, GA

Jnette , you're funny . The vet will sell you the right meds for worms and give information for dosage . The stuff you get at the store is dangerous for both dogs and cats . I wouldn't touch it .If you get the meds from the vet , even if the cat doesn't have worms , it's safe to give .
My friend made a mistake and gave her cat worm med meant for her dog and almost killed her cat .
I picked up a kitten two weeks ago and only had it wormed and tested for feline leukemia .
Just please don't give it or any animal stuff from the store .
Somehow I knew you was a sucker , like me , for animals . LOL and hugs .

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

The most dangerous toys and meds for pets are made by Hartz Mountain. They have amassed an unprecedented number of pet deaths from their flea and worm meds. Trust the vet. How is the old guy doing now, putting on any weight? Or did you surrender him to the shelter?? Sometimes the owner dies and the family members don't know what to do with the poor animal and just turn them loose thinking someone will take pity on them. I hate those people.

Dahlonega, GA

Guess my remark to Jnette goes for you too . (sucker) Hah , I admit it . Seems the people I like most are in my group . Spreading hugs .

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't have any more room either but if someone dropped a kitten on my doorstep or one found it's way here, I could probably squeeze it in somewhere...like my pocket, or ????

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Yeah, here too. I think stray cats mark the power poles......."pushovers live here...you have a home for life if you stop."

Dahlonega, GA

Wish I had a trip to Wi . I have to keep this one in a crate until I move it down to the renters house . She will take it and her dogs like cats . This one isn't safe around my Jack Russell .I couldn't leave it at J's cousin's house , it was bones . The only one to live out of that litter and the stronger and older ones wouldn't let it eat .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OK, I'm going to try to post the picture of the cat, Buster, that shows up for a meal every 2 weeks or so. Please bear with me. I just put Windows 10 on my computer and don't know how to use it for everything yet. Couldn't find the one I had edited so had to take this one instead. Hope you can tell what he looks like.

Thumbnail by Jnette
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Looks like a Siamese.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes, he's a sealpoint, traditional, not the show type. I prefer the "appleheads" as they don't have the long narrow faces that the show cats do. They sometimes have stockier bodies like this guy too.

Dahlonega, GA

That's a pretty cat , Jen . Give it a little raw , boneless fish once in awhile ,just a few bites . Maybe it'll stay . If I lived in one place all the time , I'd have an inside/outside cat . The one I took down to the renters isn't gaining much weight and eats more than a grown cat . Vet rechecked and no worms .Sure is loving , as all male cats are that have been neutered . Her husband has decided he wants to keep it and call it his own .
No problem , there are no free cats / dogs for me . This one has already cost me just under 200.00.
Let us know how yours gets along Jen .

Dahlonega, GA

Not hijacking your thread ,but update . The new kitten made friends with the renters cat and it has gained lots of weight . It's so loving , the man lets it sleep in his lap 'till bedtime . He's a sucker too . He has a new cat . She raised a newborn squirrel and the cats pay it no attention .

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.