windows

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Anyone have Windows 10 ? Do you like it?

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I spent a good couple of hours yesterday, removing anything that would make my machine upgrade to Windows 10. They didn't make that easy to do, either (even with admin rights, you have to take ownership of quite a few files and folders in order to remove them). Most people I know that have done the upgrade are regretting it. The install itself is buggy, and I still like to choose what Windows Updates get installed. That's not possible with Win10. I've read that media-playing is broken, too. Have you done the upgrade?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

No problem with the install, most things work good but there are some things that are clunky or just not fully thought out.

1) too many updates but maybe that is to fix some of the bugs (I hope)
2) sometimes the log in does not work and you are stuck with no where to go - the only option being a hard reset (power down with the on/off switch). I don't know how many times I've done a hard reset since I upgraded a couple weeks or more ago. Seems like each time I recover, it does another update too. This is the worst bug I've noticed since upgrading.
3) Explorer has gotten worse especially for photos.
A) if you do a search over folders which works as intended but now you double click on one of the photos and go to the next photo, you are not going to the next found item but instead the next photo in the same folder as the photo clicked on. Also the photos appear in the viewer in alpha order instead of the sort order you specified. GRRR!
B) if you multi select several photos and hit the return key (basically open in a photo viewer), it will open multiple windows for each file selected, not open one viewer and send just those selections to that viewer. double GRRR!
4) Most of my keyboard typing has really slowed down (it has happened in Win7 too but not this bad - mainly Outlook). Almost feels like I am sitting at a teletype printer doing 110 baud. I don't know if that is the system or another process that hopped in there taking a lot of CPU away from the active app. For instance I painstakingly typed this message out at a very slow rate (my fingers typing a lot faster than what is appearing on the screen). This bullet point is the only one that is keeping up with my typing. So I don't know what is slowing the system down that much to take away a normal acting keyboard.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

hcmcdole -- That was a very useful review of Win10. My husband is a computer tech guy and dragged me kicking and screaming from XP that I loved to Win7 which I find cumbersome enough without going through another upgrade hassle. At least I have a knowledgeable person at hand to help with the challenges and quirks. Without him I'd be up a creek at times. I'll hold out on Win10 until the last battle cry is sounded and I have no choice. I've always been one to want the latest and best but Windows these days seems to be neither.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I hopped on XP beta as I was sick (and tired) of WinME (that was the worst) and loved XP even in Beta. I've gone from DOS to Win3.1 to ME to XP to 7 to 8.1 (on my tablet) and now trying out 10. I just hope they get the photo viewing/Explorer fixed (why break a good thing?) and the hanging log in (fingerprint/password/and now PIN) that often freezes if you don't get it right the first time. I sure would hate to switch over to a MAC this late in the game...

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I actually gave up on IE quite awhile ago and now use Chrome.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

We just did the 10 upgrade a few days ago. It's neat that you possibly don't have buy it.
I don't care how al lot of the layout and verbąge calls everything apps. Alot of navigating the PC (and technology) seems to be going different ways starting about now. Smartphone and tablet ways seem to be affecting computers now. New things like the Cloud, touchscreen and apps
(For ex.), IMO are affecting the way the older generation (like myself) have to adapt to new stuff.
I'm all about change but I don't have to like it!

Starting with Windows 8, MS (Microsoft) made the OS (operating system) work across all platforms (PC, tablet, and phone for the few who have a smart phone with Windows). If I am not mistaken Apple still uses two different OS for their desktop/laptop (OS X) and tablet/phones (iOS) - not that it is a bad thing but you would have to learn both systems versus one.

I have a Dell tablet with 8.1 but have a problem with closing windows down with the small x in the upper right hand corner using my big fat fingers. I opted to add a wireless USB mouse so I could use either touch screen or conventional mouse (does the iPad have support for USB?) For tablets and phones I like the Android system since it is windows-like but a bit more simple to use for smaller devices so I have a Samsung phone (Note 4) and got my mother a Samsung 10" tablet for browsing the web, a Kindle reader app, email, etc. - very basic stuff that we use for leisure. A PC is more robust for heavier duty apps such as Office (even though I have Office on my tablet), Photoshop and Lightroom to name a few..

Apps is just a simpler way of saying programs. The cloud is just on line storage for your documents, photos, etc. I guess the terminology changed but the basic principle is still the same. Don't let buzzwords stop you from using and learning.

Jacksonville, NC

windows 7 has been one of the best operating systems as yet. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Jacksonville, NC

windows 10 has lots of bugs, stay away.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I still miss WindowsXP. My techie spouse finally convinced me to at least upgrade to Win7 and I found it lacks the simplicity and ease of use of XP but is manageable. He upgraded himself to Win10 and so far isn't pleased. I'll stick with what I have, Win7, until they pry it out of my fingers.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

June, I also miss XP.

I miss the old scientific slide rules too...

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

And those nifty adding machines with paper tape and a hand crank? ;-)

pencil with eraser and paper...

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I have to use a pencil, eraser, and paper to do my ear tag number recording at the sale barn. Gal doing the papers is computerized, tho. LOL

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

We're just playing a bit with things that are pretty outmoded in today's world, Anna.

Telephones with 20 ft. cords that plugged into the wall.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Ummmm..............I had a 50 foot on mine. I had to be able to do stuff while I yapped. LOL

8 party line too

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Picking up the phone and getting an operator who asked "Number please?" and then connected you. At least in New York where I grew up.

Ah, the good old days before smart phones and fancy laptops that can communicate through the air...

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

My new Smart watch (a Christmas gift I did NOT need) can now communicate with my Smart phone. Sooo… my watch now can tell me I have a phone call when I already know that because my phone is ringing in my pocket! As interesting as they are these gadgets require your attention constantly. And callers these days seem to expect an instant response. If you don't answer the phone, they text you! I enjoy the world of technology but reserve the right to occasionally turn it all off.

I agree with those sentiments. I often unplug the home phone and put my cell on silent or airplane mode.

I am waiting with bated breath to see the "driverless cars". They may pan out one of these days but I don't see how they will respond to every situation that can and do arise on the busy roads. If a ladder falls off a truck directly in front of a car, what will the "smart car" do in this case...

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Hey, great thread y'all. Entertaining and informative. I received Windows 8.1 last year with the purchase of a new computer. I wasn't too thrilled with Win 8.1 and still am not...it seemed to be personally invasive, like it owned me and all my personal information. I am not a fan of connectivity. I haven't used IE for years, opting for Firefox with which i've had good luck. Sooo, when i was faced with Windows 8.1, i worked like the wind to make it work the way i want and not the way Microsoft wants me to want. There were MS ads popping up saying things like "we know who you are and what you want"...o no...they really don't. I didn't do anything they "strongly suggested", i didn't purchase any MS apps but got them free other places on the internet. I don't want to go through the same thing with Windows 10...don't even want to take a chance. I know it will be even more nosy and invasive than 8.1 (MS Windows does not even have my cell phone number), and i'm not going to take that road no matter how many "get your free Windows 10. Millions of happy people have already downloaded it, etc". HA! name one! I wish DG would get some emojis.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I live in Albuquerque and NM has the highest incidence in the US of DUIs, road rage and car shootings, with a high rate of fatalities. If a "driverless car" adds to the mix I shudder at the thought. And what does the "driver" do while in a driverless car? Play on his Kindle, text messages and otherwise pay little attention to pending disaster? And what exactly would a "driverless car" do if a car driving on the wrong side of the freeway by an inebriated person suddenly appears? Or pulls up next to it and shoots at it? That happens with appalling frequency here. So long as I have a car I will be the driver! I don't drive on freeways in New Mexico for all the above reasons. My GPS is firmly set to "Avoid Freeways".

My first GPS was always picking the shortest route (I didn't know about preferences back in 2006) so I was ending up in cow pastures, gravel roads to Busch Gardens in Tampa, etc. I typically use interstates as it is usually the fastest way but sometimes use the slower scenic routes if I have the time to do so.

Driverless cars will have to prove themselves (and be affordable) if they are truly the future. I certainly don't want to say "Never" as that often backfires such as all the things we've discussed on this thread.

Vitrsna,

You can stay at your current level or join the crowds. Win 10 did have some glitches to begin with but most of those have been fixed. The one thing I don't like is the booting for an update while doing something on the computer such as posting on line or answering an email. Overall I am pleased.

Is this Progress? Well it beats DOS and Windows 3.1 and worst of all Windows ME. XP and 7 were much improved. Even their office suite has become somewhat affordable (or you can download one of the Open Office freebies that is almost like Office). I bought an Office license for 5 devices (tablet, laptop, etc) for $100 at Staples earlier this year. I had Open Office but some of the shortcuts are not supported so that is just confusing when you get used to a certain "style".

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I disagree about Win 3.1 (specifically, 3.11). To this day, it's still the most stable OS that Microsoft has released. It was butt-ugly, sure. But, it was rock solid! =)

When 3.1/3.11 ran into a snag it would hang and it was time to boot-in-ski (or the BRS). NT was a lot better than 3.1 but then XP came along for everybody...

I will give 3.1 a few accolades - it had True Type fonts and OLE which were ground breaking back then. If it hadn't done well, then IBM would've probably been the premier OS with their vastly better OS/2.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey! You haven't updated your Garden Diary in almost EIGHT YEARS! =P

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Can someone here possibly tell me get a result in Windows 10--I can't get my PC to give me any kind of window when I insert a flash drive or CD or DVD. I have to go click on "my pc" then find the drive then tell it what to do. This screen capture is from hubby's pc with Windows 7---that is what I want to show up. I have gone into every place regarding autoplay that I can find with no success.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.