POPPIES ! Does anyone grow Oriental Poppies ?

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

I want to grow more Poppies. I need some information and recommendations on a good RED ORIENTAL POPPY that I can purchase and grow. If anyone is or has grown Oriental Poppies, Please respond.
Thanks.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2015 10:48 AM

Thumbnail by NJIrisGuy
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

The truest red I know is Beauty of Livermore. You can get it from Bluestone Perennials. It's been trouble free for me. Note that the leaves pretty much disappear by early summer, so you want to plant things that spread out in late spring around them. When they're young, I put copper covered rings of tin cans around them to keep slugs from eating the tender new growth. Older growth and older plants seem to cope. I also use Sluggo. Be careful if you want to transplant. they have a very deep tap root.

Note, they're less orange than this picture appears. No orange at all. Just red.

LAS

This message was edited Aug 6, 2015 11:46 AM

This message was edited Aug 6, 2015 11:47 AM

Thumbnail by LAS14
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I love our OP. I have no idea what it is called and it blooms around May-June. I think the foliage is unattractive, though, and they don't bloom for long.

I agree with Beauty of Livermere. (Note name correction). It is a tall plant, true red flowers, and can be grown from seed as it will come true.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Well, I thought I'd bumped into another very late spelling discovery (like I just found out that raspberries has a 'p' in it.... after 6.5 decades of spelling!!!! :-(.

Indeed, there are many web hits on Beauty of Livermere. BUT... important. Bluestone Perennials, which sells it, uses the name Livermore. Go figure.

Ha ha, tell them they got it wrong. I am not familiar with Bluestone although I have heard of them. They don't sell to Canada.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Plant vendors shouldn't be considered to be the ultimate resource for plant names or IDs. They are, unfortunately, one of the major sources of both confused nomenclature and misidentified plants. And it's also very frustrating that some of them keep cranking out the same catalogue each year, with the same errors, even when these have been pointed out.

It is indeed 'Beauty of Livermere'. Bluestone has it wrong, as echoes said.

Toms River, NJ(Zone 7a)

I buy most of my Perennials from Bluestone Perennials - I will check their catalog online and
see if they have "Beauty of Livermere" available. I've never grown an Oriental Poppy.
I assume they are roots or rhizomes ???

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

They are usually plants or seeds, and from Bluestone I would expect plants.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

I get plants from Bluestone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.