Some Euphorbias

Decatur, GA

Here are some of my Euphorbias at various stages. The second one is a small plant with a nice little caudex you can't see. E. cremersii. http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/subs/eup-cre-sub.asp

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Very interesting plants, all of them new to me,

I did have to find out a bit more about this curiosity. Nature is wonderful.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

That first one looks like it's about to burst into outrageous flower, very nice. Some Euphorbias around the patio here (first one finally branching, yay).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Decatur, GA

Nice pictures Baja. Nice plants! You Euphorbias always thrive like mine in Georgia just can't quite do. But I still find them fascinating and sometimes some of them do really well. I'll get more pictures soon.

Please do. How's my favorite of your Euphorbias (guillauminiana)? Some of my Euphorbias look terrible this time of year, those are just a few that don't. 3 of the 5 are pretty strict summer growers and spend most of the year doing nothing (but photosynthesizing, I guess).

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Very pretty Helen and Baja. Here's one of my favorite Euphorbias. I don't understand why they turned.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Helen, Your plants are always great and Baja's are always amazing. Euphorbias are so diverse and there are so many! I have a few. Here are three that give me a great deal of pleasure.

E. flanaganii, E. knuthii and one in my rock garden, E. myrsinites. The donkey tail tends to rampant behavior so gets trimmed a lot.

Nancy, If I try to photograph with my tablet in "portrait" position they upload sideways whereas in "landscape" position they are fine. That is why even tall, skinny plants get posted in a wide view. Don't know what you use but just a thought.

Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer
Decatur, GA

rockminer, you are a hard act to follow. You plants have such size! Impressive.
Here are a few more of mine.
E. guillauminiana - I think I see a small seed pod.
E. viguieri
E. ?
E. ?
E. iharanae

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Splendid, Helen! You have such a variety of obviously well grown plants. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Bill

Nice plants everyone. Bill, do you know how old that flanaganii is? It looks amazing. How do you keep it from falling over? Mine (about 8" tall) has serious issues with gravity.

Helen, more seed pods! Don't let that one explode on you. :)

Decatur, GA

I will try and capture some seeds.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Baja, This trunk is 5 inches tall. The plant tends to lean toward the sun so I must turn the pot periodically or it will try to lie down. As it gets taller it may still decide to collapse. I grow it pretty hard, only watering when it starts to wilt. That may have somthing to do with its sturdiness.

Bill

My plant definitely leans toward the sun. I rotate most of my plants but not that one. No good reason there except habit. Starting at this point is probably futile. What tends to happen is when the lower branches die off, there's no leverage at the base of the plant to keep it upright. I'm thinking I might move it to a wider pot and stake it, or put in a large rock in there to prop it up.

This is one of my favorite plants especially because it takes all the sun I can give it and seems to flower on and off all year long. Also it's self fertile. I guess if it falls over then I can always replace it with its children or grandchildren. :)

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

That looks like a monster! Looks quite heavy also. How big is the pot?

Decatur, GA

My E. guillauminiana seed pods were eaten by some scoundrel. :-(

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Must be a tough scoundrel! Euphorbias are the only plants I have that I feel are safe from the deer, ground squirrels, birds and bugs--At least so far. Sorry about the loss.

Bill

Bill, the plant is in an 8 inch pot. Below the rocks on top there is an inch or so of naked stem. It actually has a lot less stem than yours given the overall size... maybe this is due to the day long sun? These plants can look radically different depending on exposure.

Bummer Helen, the scoundrel has great taste. Last year a squirrel took a big bite out of one of my columnar Euphorbias and immediately spit the piece out (it was lying right to the side). Hopefully learned a valuable lesson in the process. :) For the most part my Euphorbias seem to be immune to that kind of grazing, except for the baby seedlings, which must take some time to build up a supply of nasty irritants.

Here are a daughter and granddaughter of the plant above. (Medusas are female, right?) They are growing in 20% shade. And while we're at it, the plant the squirrel took a big bite out of (out of focus, sorry). The bite went about halfway through the main stem but it just made a sideways turn and kept on growing. In the end the damage will be totally invisible.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Decatur, GA

Great plants Baja. I love the way you stage them so well with gravel. Very cool!
I think this is E. decaryi but not sure. It sure has turned into a nice mound. I tried to get it out of the pot - not happening. I will eventually have to break the pot or cut the plant.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Break the pot!!

Here are a couple of my Euphorbias:

#1 E. decaryi
#2 E. ledienii, I think. I grew it from seed.
#3 E. resinifera
#4 E. horrida
#5 All the left overs

Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady

I agree. Break the pot, Helen. That plant is way too nice to bust up. :) I have a pile of shards from pots I've had to break. I saved them thinking I would use them for some kind of mosaic top dressing in the garden, but it hasn't happened (yet). Usually the breakage is because I went way too long without repotting, but some plants just insist on filling every possible cranny below ground.

Nice group there Daisy. One of the plants in the last pot looks like a bupleurifolia hybrid. Here are a few bupleu hybrids from around here. Each one is a little different. They also vary in how much sun they can tolerate (4th one is getting a little too much).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Thanks for that ID.

The one in the back is another unknown. I am attaching a photo of the rest of the plant (its in another pot) - at least I think its the same plant. Maybe someone can ID it (them) for me.

Daisy

Thumbnail by DaisyPlantLady
Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Some of my Euphorbias.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Do you know their names? I love #1. #3 looks like mine but I don't know what it is. I have never seen a Euphorbia like #4.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

What an amazing group of plants! Guess I'll have to make more space. You are showing a side of Euphorbias I've never seen. Thanks so much for the input.

Bill

Decatur, GA

I found the ID for a plant I posted above so I thought I'd do an update. It helps me try and remember. When I got the name my reaction was the old "oh yeah, thats right."
Its E. rossii.
Please note the Euphorbia leuconeura volunteers.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2015 7:34 AM

This message was edited Aug 29, 2015 10:01 AM

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

#1 E. mammillaris var. varigata common name "Indian corn cob", #2 E. buplerfolia, #3 unknown (seems to move away from light ???), #4 labeled E. leach, but cant find it when I google it, #5 E. trigona common name "African milk tree".
Nice plants everyone.

Euphorbia esculenta here, a few months old, pollinated by yours truly. It's already a recognizable medusa. Speed kind of impresses me actually.

Also Euphorbia bupleurifolias looking leafy a few weeks ago, and susannae in full bloom (male parts mostly blown away by the wind).

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.