4 Obstacles to Decluttering & How to Beat Them Part 4

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks, missing for that input. I appreciate it.

Good news, Holly. Hopefully his desire for some extra cash is stronger than any desire to not work.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

He was here for 2 hours and said he would come back tomorrow I have maybe 2 more hours of work for him.

Newark, DE

LOL - Rosie you are right - I have spent a lot of thought on your WALL cracks. You are right, a saw would not be fat enough to cover both cracks and that is why I said a grouping of them. That way you'd have 2 saws, one on each crack and a saw blade for visual balance, as needed. But, no, now that I know they are also all the way across, they will not work anyway because they are not long enough.

Also, I didn't mean a large light fixture at all, I meant a small slender one that would go between the saw blades, giving illumination to the art of the saws and top of stairs but not take up a lot of wall space. Anyway, sorry....I didn't know they were that long so nope, it won't work. Guess you will have to do the Hardiplank or bribe Jan to come help. LOL I will quit thinking now....LOL

Jan - I like the quarter-round trim on the ceiling. If you already have it throughout the house it would match, but if that room is small, it may break it up too much and make it appear smaller. Only you know that answer. Jeff has done some mighty fine work!

Holly - sounds like your garden is coming along well. I love that blue glass - in anything. Look forward to pics of it.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

What blue grass? I missed something.

Do you mean blue-eyed grass? I love that stuff too. So dainty.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh the YGC Picnic went very well approx 60 people came and they had a great time and lots of interest in the gardens, GH, and water features.
Next spring I will add more soil to the raised bottle bed and figure out a few nice plants to put in it. I have a wire horse topiary frame that I think might look nice in it. Right now it is holding a mixture of cuttings and other plants that need for me to keep an eye on them.
Packing for the beach, heading out on Friday and will be gone just a little over two weeks. Going in tomorrow for another injection not feeling too bad but I have really put some pressure on the nerve with the trip to Alaska and all the garden and house work getting ready for the picnic. This trip will be all rest and relaxation. I really need a trip like that.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

What a great turnout and the grounds look lovely. I can see how much work it is. Lots of areas to keep up with. You got it looking like spring instead of fall.

I love the blue bottle bed raised bed area -- especially the shape and scale

What are these two?

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The first pic is a verbena in a pot the second pic is my Voodoo Lily. The Voodoo Lily is an interesting plant, not Ric's favorite as it tend to put out a very stinky bloom in early spring before it is warm enough to put it outside.

I just put in 4 verbena with plumbago. The plumbago just keep GIVING. beautiful blue.

Voodoo lily..I will have to check that out. Interesting looking.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here it is blooming in March. Nice thing about it is that it goes dormant in the winter so I don't have to worry about keeping it going over the winter and finding space for it. I just tuck it in the upstairs room and let it go till spring. Last year we went to the Phila Flower Show and saw one blooming and I thought Oh I have to check mine almost forgot about it completely and when I went up there it was a good two foot growing very nicely without me or my water.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Wow. Carefree - I like that

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Love, love the blue glass!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks.

Newark, DE

Beautiful Holly! I am a BIG fan of blue glass anything. I have a collection of antique cobalt blue glass stuff. It's not a huge collection but I have several pieces. I want to put it in a lit display case, or a glass door kitchen end cabinet, or ...? Not going to do anything now, since we do hope to move as soon as we can. For the time being, it all just sets on top of the entertainment center. :-(

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone!!!!
Well, it has been three years........ I still have lots of clutter everywhere, not much progress.

I am still going thru the same thing. To date I have had 19 blood transfusions, and numerous iron infusions..... Over 50. They still do not know where the bleeding is coming from! I have had at many many tests and even had a port put in because my veins are so hard to find.

Presently my blood is UP to 9.7. Rejoice!!!! It had gotten down to 7.5.

I am still weak and moving slow. I do not get out in the garden much anymore at all. We do have bananas on two of our trees! They are about ready to be picked.

Our computer had been down so I had not been on here In awhile. I have a tablet now. I still have my thread over on the prayer forum.

All of you are in my prayers, especially Ruby.

Please pray for me as I do get very discouraged. Thanks!

Jeanne

Thumbnail by Texasgal77 Thumbnail by Texasgal77 Thumbnail by Texasgal77 Thumbnail by Texasgal77 Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Hey TexasG
Those are some great bananas. I just had one it I have a feeling yours are going to be better once harvested. I envy you being able to grow tropicals.

Glad your hb is improving. Mic the docs can't find the blood loss may I ask if they have considered that you are not losing-- just not producing? My anemia ( not near yours by any means ) doesn't arise from blood loss just low production..turn around time, etc.

Everyone - you know my brother's illnesses over past few years. Well he passed away last Wednesday. It was not a struggle or an emergency - he spent the day with my sis going to docs ( you know all about those days Debbie ) and he was tired and so she got him what he needed and left. He must have passed away soon after.

We are sorrowful and relieved and those feelings are confusing coming together. He was a wonderfully brilliant compassionate person. So many have told us funny and loving stories about how he enriched their lives.

I got some papers organized and he lived in Fla and so we have a house of bachelor clutter to go through. MORE CLUTTER. You know Imhave been doing pretty good on tha end.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Texasgal, So nice to hear from you again. How great your own bananas, what fun.

MissingRosie, So sorry to hear of your brothers passing. I certainly do understand about the mixed feelings, thankful that your brother no longer has such a hard and painful life and sad at the passing of a much loved sibling.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Missingrosie, so sorry to hear of your brother's passing. Prayers coming your way!

My anemia is caused from both. My body can't make it fast enough. My iron is very low. My body doesn't save what it needs to make more. I have to get iron IV'S every two weeks and even then my hb will drop as much as two points, and I have to get blood.

I am sorry to hear of your situation as well. Thanks for your interest and concern. It is appreciated!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Missingrosie, so sorry to hear about your brother's death. Big hugs! Will be thinking of you as you sort through his estate.

Texasgal, I'll certainly be praying for your medical issues as well. Know that you are being thought of. How cool to have your own bananas!

Thanks.

Those bananas are real pretty!

My brother had a tile business. He must have brought home all the extra

My sis says garage loaded with tools...tile...fpgrout...cement....powder...
The van covered with the stuff too

So many young folks in Fla starting out in that business - hard to find honest and talented.
He trained a bunch...hoping they hear of his passing and we can maybe get them started with some decent tools. He would like that.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That would be a great legacy!

He has a huge huge desert rose being donated and a staghorn fern?? Suspended from a tree hundreds of pounds...huge....hopefully going to botanical garden. He would like that. Proud of those two.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow! The staghorn ferns are gorgeous! What a blessing!

I agree on getting the tools etc. To someone in need would be a great legacyl

Newark, DE

Texasgal - so good to hear from you again! Glad your back on the net and chose to join us. Missed you! I have thought of you often and said a prayer when I did. Sorry to hear you're still having problems but glad to hear it is better than it was. Hope it continues to improve. Love those bananas. What a joy it must be to grow you're own. As much as I love them, I need a grove. LOL

Rosie - yes I understand the day long doctor's visits..... Boy do I. I have had several, these last few weeks, for Dad and my brother - heck even a few days for me!! Sorry to hear about your brother but I understand the mixed emotions. I went through that when Mom passed. She was so ill for so long. She is why I had to quit working in 97. She was bedridden and in and out of hospitals until she passed in 02. I would be with her all day and work at night, plus run both her house and my house (had Dave's son here at the time as a teen too) and I was about to wind up in the hospital myself with BP 204/157!. Dave said we could scrape by on his income alone, and for my health I should quit work and just take care of her. It was not easy on the budget but it did help my health. When she passed I felt a loss I still feel everyday, but also a relief for her as well as for me. Then....of course, I also felt guilty for feeling relief, which spiraled into a depression. Geez, I was a hot mess that took a long time to get out of. So, a word from one who has been there - don't let the relief turn into guilt. Realize that you did all you could so there is no reason to feel guilty, and the relief you feel is simply because it IS, both for him and you. Accept that for the truth and let it go. I think your family getting his tools and supplies to those starting out as well as the huge plants to a garden where others will see and enjoy would be nice. I think he'd be pleased with both wonderful ideas. Focus on all the good he brought and times you shared but don't forget to take the time to grieve too. You have to let it out to be able to let go. Don't mean to sound preachy, sorry if it seems that way, just hoping to help.

All is well here - just busy. Keeping you all in prayers.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Debbie, thanks for sharing!

I felt that way when Mom died. Sometimes I still feel that way...

Anyway, it's good advice!

Thanks Debbie. Your advice makes a lot of sense. I hope I don't go down that road. Mostly I feel good but then this huge whoooooosh goes over me of grief and I feel such a loss. If you are interested in reading his obituary I put it on

Tributes.com

Name
Patrick Lombardo (Florida )

I tell everyone because he was so great but FULLY get it if no interest!

If you go to guestbook read my part I and 2 called Hawks. An interesting thing happened to me and I put the tale there.

Hey..the two guys - my hubby and son are under the house ( just one snake...who knows how many black widows..I got them wearing OR paper scrubs and mesh hats and googles and shoe covers because of fiberglass...and finishing up the insulation yea!!
Lower bills for propane I think.mnext week they do my sons.

Also get this...he needed a pair of gloves..,I went into my " stash" ...I have 31 pair of NEW garden gloves... Rubberized and not...stretchy and not.... Cotton and not..... Good LORD. And I found my MISSING. E- Cloth if you have not tried an e cloth you are missing something. NOTHING NOTHINGbdoes glass table tops, windows or mirrors better. No lint, no streaks.monly need water. Just water. And every now and again boil it to clean it. WONDERFUL .. Love it. I had two extra and lost those...well the boxes with all those damn gloves.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2015 4:36 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL MissingRosie, on the "boys" I had my Grandson in the attic today helping me to get the Halloween decorations out and he saw a spider and wouldn't go back in to the the Scarecrows.

Hahaha. Smart kid.

If they would quit yapping ( I can hear them ) they would get done sooner...plus they have an electric staple gun BUT do up you think they are using???

After we added the insulation ( after 16 years the old stuff was looking ragged and had slid..) well we added R 19 to what was there and then rather than the " straps " which allow gravity to let the insulation sag over time....I made them staple landscape fabric
We have to use unfaced insulation because of the SIP construction and stopping moisture from escaping the air tight house would be a big issue. So I hope it will be OK.

My daughter in Browndale ( Forest City ) said it is snowing and she had 24 degrees in Pa this morning....brrrrr....how about you?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Not too bad here. Didn't get down to freezing at our house, plants leaves were still in good shape. I did get the caladiums and amaryllis inside. Worked outside most of the day, cool but not uncomfortable and it was pretty sunny. Then about a 1/2 hour ago we had a very quick hail storm blow thru.

Hail! Tell me Dover is where in comparison to where Jackie is? She used to live Scranton...then .carbondale...now Browndale but the mail always says Forest City. Whenever we visit it is gloomy - rainy but she insists she sees the sun!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We are south central Pa. Between York and Harrisburg about an 45 min drive from the Maryland State Line. Scranton is a couple of hours North of us.

Ah,she is colder area. I hated Scranton. The town where she was was fine..lots of good German, Italian, irish, mixes of food. Great people. Great history and churches....but I would stand on the porch of her drafty Sears Roebuck home....and the view was ROCK...in the distance over dilapidated houses....rock mountains! Plus some river was up the road and it would flood the old mines and streets would fall in! Scary. House 200 years old. Needed everything but a great piece of history, but they had no $$ to fix.

Browndale is rolling...suburban... green....cold! Her house needs lots of landscaping. Her husband owns quarry land and so can get flagstone ( he is active military ) this is what I drew for her. I am not an artist 😊. The house Has NO walkway to the front door, and looking at it hard to tell...but land slants down as we go to the right corner. Nobody used the deep porch towards the middle ( old couple raised family bought home in 70-80!s new, PINK rugs. So kids put in hardwoods, granite, a new deck ( safety -- it is second story ) and upgraded basement bath. That blew all Reno money!

This message was edited Oct 19, 2015 9:32 AM

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie

New deck. SIL did himself.... Bitch to paint or stain right?? I wonder why didn't use those steel cable rails for uprights....no painting! Ever!

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie

As it is now none of what you see is there...no flagstone, no bushes, no rails just the house structure. SIL can build the porch rails and top. I saw his work in NC where he snagged my daughter!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Your drawing are good enough to get the ideas thru. First look of the house I thought that front door needs a pergola or something and there it was in your 3rd drawing. Looks like a nice house just needs a few tweaks.

The first house was a big dradty no insulation in the ceiling sears Roebuck that like many of that time brought in by train. Scranton was bustling.nit was a house for the clergy - church right next door

The second in Carbondale was EXACTLY the same house but 1000 sq feet. ( the first was 3000!!) same footprint. Tiny tiny.

What moldings..,stained glass.... Plaster ceilings with designs...beautiful and falling apart.

The second exactly the same design but in better shape. Tighter..AND no UNFINISHED uninsulated attic.

This is a regular 1970's 80's with finished basement. Nice family home. Tight. Great shape but oh those pinks, mauves, and wallpaper!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Starting the Fall/Winter purge. Years ago we moved the youngest child's old Toy Box out to the garage. He is now 33, it was never cleaned out, just sat in a back corner with things piled on it. A year or so ago I started cleaning it out. When we got down to the bottom there were a lot of little things mostly just trash but there were a ton of leggo blocks in there so I used a dishpan to scoop it all up and dump it into a tote, for me to go thru at a later date. Today was the later date, the tote is now empty. YEAH!!! I have one bag of old clothes loaded into the car to be dropped off tomorrow at Salvation Army and I hope to get a few more bags together today. My goal for this winter is to get back upstairs to clean out one of the second fl bedrooms that has become a dumping ground and to finish the stairwell that I started last year.

Legos are so expensive - 20 makes a set and is a fortune.

Good luck with the purge!!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Good plan.

It is amazing how expensive Legos are, but they are such a great toy.

Sometimes I Look at other threads and they are sooooo old. It seems like lots less activity compard to years ago, but plenty of threads are posted...so maybe I am nuts.

I am always glad to see a new person on a discussion thread even if the thread is very old, but sometimes I feel, when I pop in with a comment that I am politely ignored...like my comment will be as if it never was. I can say something and the next person ( a regular ) will say similiar and it feels like it is the first time the other regulars have heard it. I just get skipped over.

Does that happen to you?
Maybe it is me?
I do tend to go on sometimes...
And I am guilty of getting off track a lot.
But, these are just quick "hello's my name is " or some simple thing like I like yellows and purples.

I feel a little like the new kid in high school with all the wrong clothes. Been there don't wanna do that again! 😊 ,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.