Direct seed sowing in fall

Natick, MA

Perhaps not correct forum?? But what perennial seeds do you all tend to direct sow in the garden in the fall?
Offhand I can think of foxglove, holly hocks and columbine. Other suggestions?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

You can direct sow any seeds in fall... the only consideration is really whether you have enough seeds to account for possible losses (e.g. to birds, animals, wind, erosion, etc.), given that you don't have direct control of the seeds, so to speak, as you would have growing them in pots.

Natick, MA

Thanks, Alta, I just wondered if there were some seeds that were hardier and tending to be more reliable for direct sowing in the fall.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Any plant that's hardy in your climate will be able to generate itself from seeds sown in fall. And, additionally, hardy plants have hardy seedlings.
Direct sowing in fall is no different than sowing in pots and leaving the pots out over winter to stratify (if necessary for that species, though it's fine as well for other species that don't require it) and to germinate "naturally". The only difference is whether or not they're confined to pots.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

But you can't sow self-seeding annuals, right? I'm thinking of morning glories specifically, we had morning glories self sow, and I was wishing I could sow some more interesting varieties now, while I'm thinking of it.

Natick, MA

Yes, I would think you could...as they self seed like cosmos and cleome

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! I'll give it a try--if I remember.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, of course, you can direct sow annuals - same considerations as I mentioned, plus another, which is whether your season is long enough to get them blooming as early as you would like. That's the main reason for starting annuals indoors, 6-10 weeks (give or take) before your average last frost date.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Amsonia does well - the shorter one as compared to the tall one that goes beautifully bronze
The tall 5-6 foot rudbeckia
caryopteris ( I have dark night )
And of course WEEDS! 😝

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.