Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

Up until about a week ago my roses have been hanging in there and handling the heat pretty well. Now the are looking pretty tired. Is there a time when roses get cut back to rejuvenate ?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Dmwade,

I would wait till it cools off and trim the dead areas. Till then keep deep watering your roses and maybe you can protect them with some shade, un umbrella or some screen.
They are usually cut back in January but with the weather being so unpredictable I always wait till I see the first growth and start trimming.
You might start fertilizing them when it gets cooler too.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Rodica

Thanks so much!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Dmwade,

I would like to make a suggestion regarding roses. I started with over roses and through the years, one by one they were gone with just a handful left. Try those too but give the miniature a chance. They are amazing and here they get to grow quite large . I have only praises for them and Trader Joes has a good variety of them for a very small price.
The third picture is where the miniature roses are placed and the last one is the only standard I have.

Thumbnail by RODICAP Thumbnail by RODICAP Thumbnail by RODICAP Thumbnail by RODICAP Thumbnail by RODICAP

Great idea. Back in WI I had several miniatures because they were grown on own rootstock and could take the cold and ground heaving during winter, I totally gave up on hybred teas. I've seen a Trader Joe's in Surprise, now I have a reason to check it out!
Thanks again,
Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.