Dehydrating Asian Pears

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

We got our first crop of Asian pears this year and I decided to dry them. I found this recipe and Love it. They are like eating little pieces of candy.
http://againstallgrain.com/2012/09/26/dried-5-spice-asian-pears/
I package them in baggies and put them in the freezer. Never have trusted the drying thing completely.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I will try this with the bartlett pears that I just purchased.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Good. Hope you like them. The bartletts should be just as good. All pears seem to get very sweet when dried.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have one full dehydrator going now. One more batch tomorrow. I did not know that so many pears would be in the box.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

After all the work....I hope you like them. Peeling, coring, peeling coring, slicing. LOL

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Perhaps a bit off subject but, they are hard to find for sale around here. Have not seen any for 6 months. Only thing I have ever used them for is adding some slices of Asian Pear to the pan when I am frying onions. Flavors mix and it adds some texture. Gene

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Yum, gasrocks....that sounds good. Think I will try that.
Perhaps you should plant an Asian Pear tree. Be sure to get a pollinator, though. We didn't get fruit until we planted the proper pollinator.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm in the wrong zone to have one outdoors, sigh.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

My dried barlett with 5 spice are like candy. Thanks beebonnet.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Oh, good...you did it. Yes,weeding, I think they are like candy too, but better for us.

I see you are from WI, gasrocks. I guess you can't grow fruit trees. So sorry.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Hey, Wisconsin is big on many kinds of fruit trees! I have apples, plums, pears.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

My dog Max also loves the dehydrated pears. We have already finished a sandwich bag full. Hee Hee!

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

gasrocks---I don't see why you can't grow Asian pears if you can grow pears. They are a pear, actually. Do they just need a warmer winter than a regular pear?

I need to do another batch. They are in the crisper waiting for me to take a notion to get them ready for the trays. So many things to do this time of year. I also have tomatoes to dry before they get away from me. I've done everything else to tomatoes, why not dry some? Tomatoes taste good dried, too. The taste becomes more intensified. If you add a few dried ones to a sauce it will really add to the flavor.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I just did a Google and you are correct. I might have to try some.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I turn some of my dried tomatoes in to tomato powder to make meals in a jar. I posted on another thread where I found these great prices on cases of pears, red and yellow bell peppers, zuchinni, cabbage, lemons, limes and yellow squash. I have dried the pears and the peppers. Next I will do the cabbage and the squash. I will be dehydrating for days. Here is a picture of the yellow and re peppers before and after.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Tomato powder...that is such a good idea. What do you use to powder them? I have a vita mix. I suppose that would work or maybe a coffee bean grinder?
You are one busy person dehydrating all of that food. How does cabbage do. Never tried it or squash. Summer squash I usually freeze for breads but at the end of the year I always have lots in there never used for the breads I thought I would make. LOL

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I use a coffee grinder. I have different coffee grinders. One I use for herbs, which is the one I use to grind my dried tomatoes. One I use just for grinding my dehydrated eggs. One for coffee.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I have one coffee grinder for herbs, so I am going to try that today with the tomatoes I have on hand. Dry then grind.
Then, will you please tell me how you dry eggs? Sometimes we are blessed with way too many and then suddenly, not enough. I have frozen them already scrambled but still raw, but I have never dried them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.