It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Spring landscaping project 3 of 3

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Third and final view. If you make it past the yews, walk about halfway down the sidewalk, and turn and face the driveway, this is the view.

Thumbnail by Terry
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Dont' you think a great look for right here is something along the lines of what Badseed posted from her yard? I just love her look, and I really think it would do good here, not sure what you want up next to the house, but you could get that curvy bed on the left and it would be very inviting.

tiG, I'd love a curved bed along here. The only problem I have is the sidewalk is straight. I've even thought about some sort of curve, and plant a low-growing groundcover in the spaces where the bed would sweep away from the sidwalk, but I'm a little nervous about getting it too busy.

My long-term plans are to put a very wide sweeping curve along the outside edge of the sidewalk (the side farthest from the house). And I'm talking a monster sweep - basically a huge horseshoe that will create a bed around the two oak trees on each side of the yard, with the "bottom" of the U coming up to the sidewalk. That's not for another year or two - I want to get the bed between the house and the sidewalk done first.

I'll add my initial ideas to the other photos, since I can reference specific spots so you can get your bearings. Thanks for helping, ya'll!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

One way to help break up your straight walk is to plant a few low growing mounding type plants along the front... so they'll spill over the edge and hide it. You wouldn't want to get too carried away and crowd the walk so it's too narrow - like I do ;-) But a few plants ... maybe some rock cress, iberis, or even some hostas that will just break the edge up.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

What if you gave your sidewalk a bit of curve? Maybe clear out a spot right next to the sidwalk where a curve would be good, put down fabric and put some cement colored pavers/stepping stones on top and fill around with cement colored gravel? Got more money? Pour a wing off the existing walk. With either plan, you could then extend that into your big 'horseshoe' with more stepping stones to lead you through the shoe, or like a path through a 'secret' garden. That would make it easier for you to work them as well. Just a thought. :)

Michelle, that's a good idea. I had toyed with the thought of finding paving bricks, and making the sidewalk wider anyway - I like a nice wide walk that two people can easily stand side by side without feeling cramped. And this one is a nice aggregate, but still too narrow for my tastes. We could curve it up a bit if we do widen it with bricks....thanks for the suggestion!

Sue, I like your idea too - I'll probably bring some of the hostas closer to the edge so they can spill out over onto the walk. Others can be placed back further, and I'll put landscape lights in front of them so the walk is illuminated at night.

Now you want to talk some serious $$$ - the lights I want are about $30 apiece. Argh!!!! Why can't I like the "10 for $80" box of lights??? Sigh. Maybe I can sell enough plants this spring to pay for three or four nice lights for this bed....

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

GV, we must be drooling over the same lights! LOL The ones I love look like little iron lanterns and run 20-30 per. OUCH!!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh yeah, I read somewhere that the perfect width for two people to walk hand in hand, is a walk three feet wide. Feeling romantic? :)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

You could Take a sledghammer to that straight sidewalk. Lay out a nice curved pathway. Use the pieces of the original walk like puzzle pieces to create the new walk and fill in between each of the sections with gravel or grass or thyme.This would allow you to make it wider and curved.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images