Scotts pine tree, Larch trees and Birch trees

LL29 6AJ, United Kingdom

Hi, this is more of a scientific request and any scientific enthusiasts would be great. If you could point me out to some journals, websites, or books to get information that would be really helpful as well.

Is it possible to find lichen on the base of these living trees or would you actually only find them on the bark of living trees. I know you find moss because it was quite prevalent on the base of the trees.

In addition, do you know which tree is more acidic and also whether the acidity will decrease in a dead tree stump compared to a living one.

thanks alot

This message was edited Sep 8, 2015 10:27 PM

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I don't know if there is a difference in acidity between different varieties of wood. I am pretty sure fresh raw wood is more acidic than rotted. I am not familiar with Larch but I know Birch prefers a moister soil and Pine prefers a better drained one. Moister soils tend to be more acidic, drier soils less acidic.
There are a huge variety of Lichen. I have seen them growing on bark, wood, rock, and loose/free-standing. Rarely on soil, but I think that is due to the competition, not because they can't. Lichen prefer the sunny side of an object, moss the shady side.
There have been several field guides for Lichen of North America. You might try and find out if something like that has been done for Great Britain.

Corning, OH

We have Paper Birch betula papyrifera, and they are alive with some pale green lichen growing on them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.