September song-2015

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

If the meager crowd forgot something, the old "pasture" is back here...........

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1402129/

Ok, so the month is a third gone. So far it has been the pits. The day before we were to come home from vacation my Mom was taken by MedFlight to the UW Hospital in Madison with a ruptured aneuryism. This was on Monday.............Friday my siblings and I carried out Mom's wishes that NO heroic measures be taken and her breathing tube removed. A little over an hour later she received her angel wings. Her funeral was last Wednesday. Now comes all the legalities. *sigh*...............and I have to deal with them all as executor of her will.

Anyway, not much going on here re: farm stuff, just the same-old, same-old heifer feeding. A neighbor wants the SU to make a snaplege bag, and another neighbor will probably require his services for corn silage chopping. I continue to go to Equity, the sale barn, on Monday and Wednesday afternoons for the calf sale. Due to no sale on Monday, there were over 300 calves yesterday. Usually Monday is the bigger day, what with guys having to keep calves over the weekend, and Wednesdays aren't as bad.

Raining here this morning, a really nice shower with some thunder. The lawns and the hay crop will love that.

I'm hoping that I don't hear the dreaded 5 letter *F* word soon (frost), as it will take me DAYS to haul all my plants to the g'house. I put in a few good afternoons and it isn't too bad, as long as I don't have to rush. My brugs that are planted in the ground grew like gangbusters again this year, mostly because they had more room this year than they did in the place I put them last year. I cut them back to about a foot tall, dig out and put in pots over winter.

If I move a few loader tractor loads a day I can prune, etc. as I take in and leave the mess (and hopefully MOST of the bugs) outside.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2015 10:31 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I am away from the day to day these years... my 'farmland' is the USA where I watch everyones labors work toward harvests.... sorry abt your mom, mine died of congestive heart failure in Oct '98 and we scattered her ashes per request near cactus. My sis and her hubby still own land and have switched to beef cattle in Fannin County. She's never happy at the grasshoppers, but she has a backup job for the last 25+ yrs as RN. Their place was on a documentery that gets run on tv once in awhile, while the debate over a ucreeks' future is tossed back and forth. If it goes thru most of the bottoms they live on will be lake. Since its been so many years in the doing, everyone has had time to relocate and they have decided to move farther east of Paris. My friends I have pretty much lost touch with - this job of driving 48 states was a lifestyle I began over 30 yrs ago. I run a reefer tho, so I do use a lot of what I learned growing up.

Richmond, TX

Anna, I'm sorry to hear about your mother, but it sounds as if she would have been pleased that you followed her wishes. I hope all the legal stuff runs as smoothly as possible.

What is a snapledge bag? I assume the calves being sold are dairy calves. what sort of prices are they bringing? The plant relocation sounds like a JOB! Don't you also "board" other peoples' plants over the winter?

Kittriana, what is a reefer? (I thought it was a marijuana cigarette.)

We have had an unusually wet summer except for six weeks during which it never rained - labeled a flash drought by the media. I am done shredding pastures for the year; the abundant grass left standing is almost weed-free and will be stock piled for the winter and save on feeding hay. My racehorse rehab/retirement business has added two half starved mares which had been left to fend for themselves when their owner died. Right now they require a lot of care, but they seem amazingly healthy - just need to gain 200-300lbs.

I will go to the commercial heifer sale at the Fort Bend County Fair at the end of the month. I need to add a couple of replacement heifers to start rebuilding our herd which was heavily culled during the real drought of 2011. These are all 4H or FFA projects and will be easy to handle but expensive.

They say that farmers are a vanishing breed. Judging by this forum, they are right! Hello! Is anyone else out there?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Snaplege is the corn ear and the husk and run through a chopper.

Yes, I board other people's plants in my greenhouse.

I believe a "reefer" is a refrigerated trailer unit.

We are on our boating group's trip today through the Sunday. We boated up to LaCrosse, WI up the Mississippi River from where we launched the boats at Praiaie du Chien. It took us about 4 hours on the water. I think it is about 60 miles or so. We had 2 locks to go through. There was no barge traffic today, which was very unusual. Our DS#2, his GF, and his two kids, our grands, came along too. We had pizza tonight and the kids have been growing their gills....in the pool constantly.

So, no farm work for us, but the oldest son called and informed us that the heifers got out at home and he had to chase them and then fix fence. He was not happy.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Reefer is a refrigerated trailer behind a semi in my case- company driver as I dont plan to keep this up many more years. A refrigerator that is 53' long, 8'5" wide, and 13'6" tall at the top. I babysit foodstuffs, fresh to frozen, cheese to seafood. Even flowers get refrigerated sometimes. It's kinda like having little kids- if the reefer gets quiet, when it should be running, it wakes me up. Learning to watch the milk vats and ensure the temps were pulling down properly taught me the job, driving was what I learned on a 2blade moboard, hay rake, and green chopper among a few chores while growing up.
I feel so sad for the horses and cattle that people have no clue how to feed or care for unless its to show off. I spent many hours on a horse hunting baby calves the cows had hidden, or watching the cows graze alfalfa and haygrazer fields to keep them from bloat. Fences always need mending, chuckl. Even if from just summer sun.
I am in Chicago tonight. Rain hit while I was down in Effingham, and the temps just keep dropping- 57 and saying 52 by daylite.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Can I join this little group ? Been a very busy summer. Just the right amount rain & plenty of heat units so a very good crop around here. They say this could be the biggest corn crop ever for Minnesota.
My garden items are bumper crop. Lots of potatoes & many close to 2lbs each.
Dug some sweet potatoes this week. They are also huge & lots of them. One weighed 3 lbs 8 ozs.

Went with my rotary mower on the back of the tractor & trimmed around some things & mowed off others. No more pickling & slicing cucumbers. Bean plants are history. Garden looks nice now.

Farmers Market has been great. Lots of new customers every time. People are tired of the shipped in stuff.
Just finished up my Sunday night meal. A nice Ribeye & some buttered sweet potatoes. Ummy.

Richmond, TX

By all means join in! It sounds as if you have indeed had a busy and productive season. The farmers markets around here are doing well too. There are several smallish ones that are open on different days of the week so they don't compete with one another. Seems to work well.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

kittirana, I hate to appear obtuse, but what is a 2 blade moboard??? And what do you haul in your reefer?

Bernie, sounds like your Farmers Market is winding down. Do you go with gourds, pumpkins, squash, and mums in cool weather?

got back about 6:30 this evening from our 3 day boating excursion up the Mississippi River to LaCrosse, where we stayed Friday and Saturday nights at the Midway Motor Lodge on the Black River. We got hung for an hour at the lock at Genoa, WI, with a double lock barge, but we only had to wait an hour as his first lockage was done and he had just gone in with the remaining barges and the towboat. After he gets through he then has to retie the barges that went through first to what came through the 2nd lockage. We also had to wait at the 2nd lock, but not quite as long. All in all, it was a nice 3 days, tho Friday could have been a bit warmer with less clouds and more sun. LOL

I guess my farming will have to be mowing the yard in the next couple of days. Tomorrow (Monday) I have to work at the sale barn and the Spousal Unit is having to make a snaplege bag for a neighbor. I was informed that I would have to go over with him about 9 am and put the bag on the bagger.

While we were gone the heifers here at home got out and DS#1 was NOT amused. The SU told him to go and buy the expensive electric fencer from Farm & Fleet. We have one like that up at the other farm and it really has a snap to it. Stupid thing was $279.99, but I guess it worked REAL good when one of the heifers decided to lick the wire! At least they stayed in. LOL

Richmond, TX

"Curiosity killed the heifer" would fit better than cat.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

What does NOT go in a reefer? At -20 I may have ice cream- or the material they use as the skin on airplanes. At 65 I may have chocolate - or paint that requires a stable temperature. 35 could be cheese- the list goes on. Frozen, refrigerated, dry. Any food you buy at grocery stores etc, were hauled in by truck. Trees from the PNW - Pacific Northwest, flowers from the nurseries, are shipped in a refrigerated environment...there are Refrigerated Trucking companies that donate a reefer to store bodies that were injured when planes crash...
The 2blade moldboard is for plowing- sorry, my phone deleted proper spelling first time. The area north of Porkpal we lived at was black gumbo clay...

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Yeah, phones and iPads tend to think they know how to spell. Never mind their spelling is some word you've never heard of. LOL

Hauling a reefer full of chocolate would not be something I would want to do.............quality control every 50 miles............LOL.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Heifers are still staying where they are supposed to be. The weather is lovely, but we had a really nice rain later last week. A couple of inches; they hayfields and my yard are so green. Neighbor wants to start bagging high moisture shell corn this coming week, so I guess the SU will have something to do. LOL

He mentioned something about perhaps getting away for a few days in the RV after they get that done if there is nothing pressing them to get started on. We'll see how that all goes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images