Old doors garden entrance

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

This message was edited Feb 29, 2016 10:37 AM

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Love it

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

WOW, that is cool!!! You have a great start on your door arbor. I've been hoping to get one made for me as well. More than likely, I'll never get to it!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I love it and the trellis aspect too. It is going to look great. You don't like the trellis?

You can always lay plain ole squares of cement steppers or pour your own and stencil and paint that walkway. Me, I would stencil a hopscotch board on it for whimsy but that design you have on that walkway is sure pretty.

Englewood, FL

Cool, be sure to send pics when it's done.

Thank you everyone. Sometimes you are just not sure you are heading in the right direction.
I do like the trellis, but there is another piece of the trellis and it won't work with the door and I hate to throw away a part of the trellis so I will use it somewhere else.

I will post pics as I am working on it. Hope it helps motivate someone else...hint hint..lol Really has gone together pretty fast so far. Sanding the top wood and scraping the doors will take some time and then repaint them. I might do a stain glass window in the glass.

Great idea about the path, that is in the far future... it is the middle of September and alot to do before fall and early winter hits. Maybe next spring.

Again thank you guys.

That is our dilemma and winter is not bad here. I think I am just getting old and it is harder to work in the cold. Worked like a dog for last few weekends and every day last week trying to stay ahead. I think when you are done -- you are going to be so happy with that garden focal point. It is a great idea and a great find. Would look pretty with plain glass with a translucent paint flower design or message painted on the glass too. Look forward to the photos.

I have been trying to clean up the garden shed so I have been recycling or finishing projects. This is one of those projects that was taking up way too much room in storage, so I got motivated.

OH man! A stained glass window!!! Oh be still my heart! Do you do stained glass? I bought a small piece of stained glass for our guest room, that's it. I'd love to find a way to get one for the garden. Soooo many ideas, so little time! hehehe

The first 2 pictures of the wall after I got the room emptied, painted and art up. Those last 2, what it started "before!" Our storage room had to be "converted" to a guest room when an adult son moved home. He took the planned guest room and we needed to come up with something. Another son & wife were coming from China for a month.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2015 7:24 AM

Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2

Morning everyone, not a problem Pat. Think we have all been there trying to find room. Think I have reached the age where I can finally go thru stuff and let it go....lol. If I could pass on any information to someone young. Really think about what you are purchasing, you need to LOVE it, WANT it. The monetary amount of things I have taken to thrift shops is really awful.

I just got into stained glass this spring, taking lessons with some friends and I so LOVE it...rofl. Not the cheapest hobby I have ever had. I am starting on Christmas presents along with all the fall stuff I have going on. lol. A friend and I went on a water garden tour and someone had put a fence around the air conditioner, and inside one of the panels of the fence they put a stained glass picture they had found. Instead of an eye sore it is very pretty. I attached a picture. So I want to incorporate something in the glass of the door or the fence. Just something different.

Well out to go sand and remove old paint from the doors. Later everyone.

Thumbnail by happgarden

That is sooooo beautiful! Simple and elegant. I am probably going to have to fake it with the paint stuff that you use and add the "lead" lines. I can afford that!

That is a great idea. I showed it to DH and he sid " it looks like a fireplce". "Well, and wht does that nasty generator look like?" i asked... He knew to quit whike he was ahead.

I went ti an exhibit in So. fl.. Chiluly in the Garden ....and fell in live with glass...all sorts of orgsnic shapes risng out of the soil like fiddlehead fern of glass or canoes on a uiet lake filled with glass spheres...

Psychw2.... That is the neatest, calmest storage room. I bet they coulda slept in there just fine. Like the way you arranged your wall design. I have no confidence with groupings...it is the nail holes that are the real commitment. I have a piece of leaded glass art that blew over in the wind..bent all to hell. Was INSIDE a screened porch. A dragonfly...not sure I can call it stained..it is all clear glass and thick patterned wavy CLEAR glass..fluted clear glass. Set in a rectangle with the clear glass dragonfly centered. I'm going to see if it can be fixed. The lead bent and one part of the glass cracked.

Sometimes "I'm slow to come to the party". Originally I was not a fan of grasses, but if you will pardon the pun, they are growing on me. I'm not ready to REPLACE my flower beds with grasses but I'm ready to work a few in various places.

Been sanding and scraping paint off the doors and the top of the entrance.

Just make sure you put the grass where you want it. Not fun to move them. You know some of the paints with lead is really hard to tell the difference. Nothing wrong with that for sure.

Chiluly is amazing glass artist. Course he doesn't do it all himself but the artist behind it. He had a beautiful installation in London, I didn't see it except on tv. Oh you are so lucky to have seen one of his projects...wow, I have always like glass but his is beyond belief.

One of the first things we made in stained glass class was a dragon fly in glass. I made this flag for a friend and gave it to her. The stars gave me a lot of ponder. The place we took the classes told me they sandblast them, but it would of cost about 60.00, by the time you got someone to make the pattern out of vinyl and they sandblasted. So I thought we can do that....well some reason wouldn't work for DH with his sandblasting equipment. Finally I decided I could use the rotor tool and etch them in the glass. So every star is hand etched in there. I was really happy with the way they came out. There is a special glass that was blue on one side and white on the other, so it was a matter of a diamond tip and some time.

Thumbnail by happgarden

THAT is amazing! really beautiful. I would have had trouble giving it up!

Thank you Pat. I probably would of hated sending it off except the person I sent it to is a real sweetie so not a problem. I can tell you this I will never make another...lol
How exciting to be living in China for awhile. Wouldn't want to live there forever I don't think. You will have a big happy house full of family for a while.

Got one door sanded both sides. Apparently someone had a dog and that is why those panes are missing, there are claw marks on the bottom, so I think I will use some wood putty and fix it. Guess not any reason to do that tho.

Hey Missing, when I made the flag when I got done I noticed two cracked pieces of glass in the flag!!! The way you fix that is all the lead and solder leading up and around that piece has to be removed, that glass taken out, a new piece of glass put in and everything re leaded and soldered back. I was so upset when I found those pieces I took the whole flag apart. My DH about had the big one, he couldn't believe I was doing that....rofl.

I have a bunch of hummers flying around.

Thumbnail by happgarden

The flag is wonderful. And, it was an early piece??? Wow. WOW.
Thanks for the info. It will be helpful when I talk with the repair person. The wind blew it off the ledge and a piece of the glass broke in the interior but the piece's frame also bent.

So, if it is all clear glass but the glass is patterned -- is it still called stained glass?

Today was the first real honest to goodness blast of " autumn is coming " we got so far.
It was downright crisp. The sunset was beautiful. The sun in the garden made everything look golden. We are painting fence because when we set it 16 years ago...we did not cement it in and below ground some posts rotted. So, while pulling it out and replacing parts we went ahead and painted. Gluttons for punishment. We have about 200 more feet to go. I can empathize with you Happ with all the scraping and wood work ahead of you. But it will be so worth it.

I got a bunch of free stained glass scraps from Craig's List -- some really big pieces. Someday I will take a class. We are fortunate to have John Campbell Folk Art School with all kinds of classes from glass bead making, building musical instruments, woodworking and turning, painting, fiber arts, metal smithing, quilting, jewelry making, etc., in a beautiful setting.

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie

Missing, did you make the mermaid? She is totally awesome! How big is she?

I agree with Pat that mermaid and the face stone are amazing....wow. What great pieces of art.

That is alot of fence. Had to smile, you never see fence painted black up here, I like it much better, wonder why no one does it here? hummm.

The flag was the 3rd project I did. Being naive is such a good thing...lol Our last project we got to pick what we wanted to do with the instructors approval. Well I had to miss a class to be made up later. I found the pattern, went to the shop, got the glass, brought it home and started cutting, by the time I went back to class I was well on my way...needless to say the instructor wouldn't have recommended that as my 3rd project...lol

Oh my John Campbell Folk Art School is an amazing place. Wow what great classes. I would love to work with metal!

Hey, sometimes naivette is the best thing. Then we don't know we are in over our head and get to accomplish something we would NEVER have attempted! The flag is stunning!!

The John Campbell catalogue is 3/4 inch thick. Great photos of the campus and simple accommodations. You should take a peek. So often we are at a loss for vacation plans..where to go..what to do... or, at a loss for special gift giving -- these traditional mountain crafters are something else and the instructors are invited for short bursts or more long term.

The mermaid is maybe 10 inches from waist up. A little less below. Cast metal...not brass..lighter..20 bucks at a cheap import shop. Thoughts she would look good near the pond.
The golden egg with the face was made by a local potter's husband. I am a fan of HER work -- Nancy Lovejoy. She made some amazing angels and one has a ponytail! Went there to her studio Christmas show for her birds... she let us walk thru non sale areas and I saw the angel as a decoration in her window ..BEGGED her for it...( one of 3 Angels) she had an attachment to them as a set..so got all 3 for $30 each!! Hubby's name I don't know. He is a painter and dabbled with some clay figures ....here is another. Very affordable...but not his paintings! He is just learning with the clay. Got this one (in photo) also for the garden and is a large heavy piece...( the egg large too - most people think it is spooky ) but it never made it out there. 'Stored' it up on that linen press waiting for winter to end, and liked it next to the girl with the bracelet painting.....strung some beads 'round her neck so she would not feel naked...and there she stayed.

I collect NC pottery and sometimes I find real bargains at the shows -- newbies getting started. I will post a photo of a rooster I bought for something making for daughters front yard ( a house number sign) going to mount it between two cedar posts on a piece of painted wood.

Re the black fence...black not common here either....but I had outdoor black paint left over from a serpent installation I made in my feeble attempt to add a peaceful Asian inspired area...I painted the metal serpent and the rocks that form the "tail" black...BUT my sis in Florida...her grandkids redid the front of her porch as a gift for her ( the planting beds) and put down black mulch...I LOVE IT. I never saw it before. ( I don't get out much 😏)

I hope the paint does better on the hemlock fence pieces because the serpent's tail is looking like it has some spotted leopard in its ancestry!!! These photos not very good but definitely from its more solid tail paint days. The body still looks fine but the rock tail....not so much...

This message was edited Sep 14, 2015 9:51 PM

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie

Oh the statue is amazing with that picture. I would never move it either. I spent quite awhile on the website of the school. That would be so much fun. My problem is I have too many interest and hobbies..lol.

The serpentine is great! I love metal work. Actually I love most art work. The company I retired from had a huge art collection. His family before him starting collecting and he kept it up. The first floor of our building was a clay studio, the third floor was open for art displays and open for free to everyone. In Kansas City they have an art district and on the 1st friday of the month all the art galleries are open until 9pm. The streets are just packed with people strolling from one to another.

That would be so cool. The community college I attended at various times in my life, hosted an art showing every month. The displays in the Art building were always changing.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Joyce, I love what your are doing with the doors.
And as far as the stained glass flag goes, It is mine. She made it for me in a swap we had. It is so pretty. I will make sure to bring it in for the winter, so it does not break.

rofl....yeap Linda Kay is the nicest person. I made it for her. I was so happy when I got her name in the swap and I knew I wanted to make her a flag.

Texas-- I'd go and swipe it but my sense of direction is sooooooo bad. I guess it is safe for now Taters. GPS doesn't help me.

Our area is well known for pottery --especially the jug with faces ( not my thing) Great many art walks where for two weekends a year can download maps of the different counties and go visit artist home studios with all sorts of mediums. Some very interesting homes and gardens reflecting their artsy owners.

Kanas City is on my list of places to visit. I probably shouldn't admit it but, I saw a glimpse of it on a house hunters show ( I told you I don't get out much ) and it looked like a great 4 day vacation with a thriving downtown.

Happ- I told my hubby about that flag and how it was just your 3rd piece. He said you are a natural and then he said something and he was right -- we have a supply chain here call southern states...has mulch and bricks, farm supplies, and a nursery and outdoor ornaments, animal feed..etc. Anyway, outside on these great big shelves the stores carry what I THINK are chicken coops. ( I grew up in Brooklyn and Queens NY and I kniw I live in then south now, but like I said..I din't get out much ☺️)..these coops were NICE and $90-120 -$150 for a piece of furniture!! Stained pretty colors too. My hubby said "that lady could retrofit the wire front in those coops with doors and big bird houses with the stained glass and it would be real pretty in a bathroom holding towels or as a CD cabinet". And he is right! With Walmart selling pressed wood one shelf units with vinyl wood 'look" cabinets with poorly made fittings etc., for $$ ... you could have a fine furniture piece for the house for much less ( excepting your sweat equity). One was tall and could be a pie safe. I have photos someplace that I took for my son and I will dig them up and maybe you can see if it is a coop. I think it is because one had a sort of mini ramp in it and maybe it was for eggs to roll down?

This message was edited Sep 15, 2015 7:12 PM

Hehehe... no, more likely for the hens to walk up than than have eggs down!

then there should be two...side by side....one for each leg!!!

and, if it is a coop....I thought the egg roll was so clever....no having to put ones hand under a chicken.

Found the coop photos we took for the son ( he needs inexpensive stand for fish tank and he can store all the supplies in one of these! The real stands cost a bundle. And found the rooster photo -- I am going to turn into an address number sign. Mount it on wood between two posts with big wooden ball finials.

So...are they coops?

And look at this hose reel. Isn't it nice?? I have 3 hose reels and all are junk! Fall over or fall apart. THIS is my Christmas wish list top item.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2015 12:12 AM

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie

The photos look weird..that rooster is taller than it is wide and everything looks stretched horizontally

Englewood, FL

Yes, they are chicken coops and/or rabbit hutches, the rooster size is ok, they ARE taller then they are wide, this one is just taking a nap. great idea about making an address sign out of it.

The rooster photos do flip to the right orientation when expanded, but on my screen look very stretched horizontally. That chair looks like it could seat 2.5 butts!

Rabbits. I will tell my husband he said a hamster house maybe. We forgot about rabbits!! And my dad raised the things back in the day ( but that was in a Brooklyn basement...for us sicilians the ROOF was for pigeons! ) i am going to do something with one of those coops - maybe out on the screened porch to hold candles and placemats for when we eat out there. The kids bring their toys too. I could store puzzels, etc. If Imhad Happs talent, I would make a glass insert because the porch gets tons of dust thru the screens...plates and glasses would be out unless I did that.

I hope the sign looks good ( since it will be cemented in place )..I figure the plywood the rooster is hung on can be routed/ channeled into the two end posts and the rooster hung on it. My daughter lives in Pennsylvania and it seems to me that it is winter freezing cold for months and months with high snowdrifts.. I don't think the clay woukd hold up...maybe it would........but this way if it is merely hung, it can come in for the winter leaving just the ironl house numbers in the center

I agree on what ifantail stated on the coops and the pic. I have two roosters, one is a top hat and one is a red. Paid for 0 roosters, but guess they couldn't tell any better than us when they were chicks, now it is apparent. When we gather eggs the chickens arent ever sitting on them. Hadn't thought about that until now.

Oh that pic will look great for what you are doing.

Yeap fish stuff is expensive! My good friend had 2 6ft tanks, massive and beautiful.

I know. Everything is expensive and made from pressed fiber and sometimes the 'grain' is a photo! I thought..go to flea market and find a $50 dresser...and refinish it for a few more bucks and some sweat. But the wall the tank goes on is not real wide and so a bureau would be more appropriate width wise..great multi storage drawers too...but generally a bureau too high for the tank. PLUS honestly my son and spouse have two kids under 7 - one a toddler and he works away from home 5 days/week. If that dresser gets refinished -- it would be me doing it. These coops are attractive. Nice stain -- smooth grain-- storage -- country colors ( but can be painted if needed ) and for $100 bucks or less... Makes Target or Walmart storage look pretty bad. I think it would look nice and I can put a black milk paint on it. I even think would be a great baby changing table. Southern States doesn't know what treasures it has!

Edited to say that when we were starting out and even after the kids came..I stained wooden crates and made modular storage for stereo, speakers and " albums " and used metal milk containers as end tables.... And so coops are not far fetched for me.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2015 10:31 AM

MissingRose too funny about the chair size....rofl. My DG brought home a baby pigeon, long story, but I hand fed it. She was great! When we were building our house she would ride in the old pickup with us from the old place to the new. We would stop at DQ drive thru and she would just watch...lol She was never caged. We had an old retired guy (my age now...lol) who use to mow for us and she would ridge on his shoulder all around the property. She loved to ride. Hadnt thought about her in years. We also had a pet starling that I hand fed and he was so tame. When I came home from work apparently I would say Why Hello Charlie and one evening I came home and said Why Hello Charlie, and he repeated it back perfectly! I about feel over. DH taught him all kinds of things, jingle bells, Mexican hat dance, etc. My sister came over to house sit for us and she worked nights, so during the day she would sleep, she told me it was strange altho it was July she dreamt about Christmas everyday....lol Charlie was whistling jingle bells all day.

Ok had a thought, why don't you mosaic what you want. There are a thousand mosaic videos on u-tube, tons of ideas on pinterest. I am going to do a KC Chiefs stepping stone for a friend for Christmas. She keeps dropping me little hints...lol You could cut out wood squares and glue them on in raised patterns, saw that on tv.

"she told me it was strange altho it was July she dreamt about Christmas everyday...lol Charlie was whistling jingle bells all day."

that is hilarious. Good thing no J. Philip Sousa - she would have enlisted!

Mosaic?? You mean in place of the wire coop windows???

Where you would of put the stained glass you can mosaic. I love mosaic, I especially like the old plates but I never find them. Just find a pattern of stain glass you like, buy some solid color stained glass the color you want and go for it. Lots of videos on it. If you did a chicken you could put the pic on a separate piece of wood and put it behind the wire like he is fenced in...rofl.

That's a great idea !

I definitely would want something that is transparent even if colored. Lends itself to the interior of the thing. It would be more me ( lazy and no talent ) to fit it with a clear window glass behind the wire or remove the wire, use the clear glass and use glass paints to paint me a chicken!

Your comment about the fenced bird...reminds me of this guy

Thumbnail by missingrosie
Englewood, FL

Happgarden I'm confused, (which isn't hard to do) how do you get eggs from 2 roosters?

rofl....we get eggs from the 36 hens, none from the rooster at least I don't think so.....wow what a money maker that would be.... ;) Also have 6 ducks, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and a small water garden with fish. Need I saw I live outside the city...lol

Oh I love that metal birdie...too cool. I saw these two and have been collecting parts to build them.

Good thing my yard is big so it can be BIG and TACKY...LOL I have a friend and in one corner of her property (she also lives outside the city) she has her tacky garden...lol It is so fun. It is her favorite actually but you have to be a friend or she won't take you there. Some have secret gardens and others have secret tacky gardens.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.