Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

Can anyone identify these berries?

Harwinton, CT

I found these berries growing on a shrub next to our stone wall. I've never seen these before. What are they"

Thumbnail by playinindirt
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

What does the shrub look like? The viburnum and aronia berries are appearing locally, but that's about all I can offer.

Harwinton, CT

Its in a mass of shrubbery of all kinds with plenty of poison ivy so I didn't venture too far into it to find out anything more. I tried researching it but the only thing that came up was Jacobs Ladder but only one mentioned anything about purple berries and no other details.

Thomaston, CT

Wow...have no idea....I should have seen them, being so close....are the bushes native, or were they part of a landscape planting?

Harwinton, CT

No, not a landscape planting as the plant is mixed in with other growth along an old stone wall separating our property and my neighbor's pasture. There are all kinds of wild plants growing there. I've been here for 30 years and its the first time I've ever noticed them. I was standing about 35 feet away and noticed them and exclaimed "What in the world are those?" I don't think that growth has ever been mown down or cleared away from the wall; the width of the strip of growth is about 6-7 feet wide on both sides of the wall. There's barberry, elderberry, a LOT of poison ivy, and other kinds of growth.

No, this isn't a landscape planting. It is in a tangled group of wild growth along a stone wall separating our property from my neighbor's pasture. There are elderberries, a LOT of poison ivy, saplings . . . .all sorts of things. I've been here for 30 years and have never noticed these. I was standing about 35 feet away when I noticed them and exclaimed "What in the world are those; I've never ever seen them before. My husband never saw anything like them either. I did a bit of research and the closest thing I could find were Beautyberries but I couldn't find much about them. Most of those shown were a much lighter purple than what I found and this ball of berries/seed was very round and fully packed.

Harwinton, CT

Sorry for the double message but I was called away and when I came back I thought I lost what I was typing and started all over again.

Harwinton, CT

I FOUND IT! Its a Similax herbacea (Carrion flower) and native to New England. Someone on another list identified it for me while lambasting me for posting in the wrong category. My bad.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for telling us. I'll look it up.

Harwinton, CT

From what I read it is called that because of the awful odor it gives off and the only pollinator is the house fly!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Yuck! And yet it is edible, has reputed medicinal value, and one can get the seeds!

Thomaston, CT

I remember one being pointed out to me at White Memorial.....guess I wasn't paying much attention!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.