My pest control crew

Fort Worth, TX

I spray NOTHING. (well a little plant food now and then) There are 10 but one pot is out of sight of the lens, telescoping function helps a lot.

Dallas, TX

I love it! They're good pest controllers, aren't they? Oh they are so cute. Are they babies?

Fort Worth, TX

I think part are adults. The chard in the raised bed has all been eaten by something, but in the garden they patrol it is 2 ft tall and thick with uneaten leaves. They love their work! There is a pond a few feet from the garden but the plants run right up to a flowerbed that touches the pond so excellent cover for them.

Dallas, TX

Embarrassed to ask, but are they frogs or toads? Whichever, I love your pictures of them.

Fort Worth, TX

They are tree frogs. I have a lot of toads too, the little pond near the garden is the wildest and best for amphibians to breed in. Used to have a giant bullfrog but I think he left to find a mate, out here in the prairie he probably failed.

Dallas, TX

Tree frogs? Really? I always thought they didn't exist - that it was a joke, like snipe hunting.

Gypsi you are so funny. When I read your comment about Stephanie's picture of the tomato, I started giggling. And now you're telling me that your giant bullfrog prob. is failing to find a mate out in the prairie? I'm outta here. Can't take it anymore!

Fort Worth, TX

Well meet Jabba The Hut, Joan. I moved him from his favorite pond to change the liner, into my bigger pond with bigger fish, and I guess he didn't like it because he took off. There is a creek half a mile behind me but it has been dry most of the year for most of the 14 years I have lived here.

A customer down by Granbury was tired of the noise (pretty sure her noise was toads and they are impossible to catch) but she sent Jabba home with me. He stayed a couple of years, til the pond liner started leaking and I had to recatch him and put him in the other pond for a few days. Independent frog he was. The net he is sitting in is about 12 inches in diameter.

Fort Worth, TX

And Joan, I was wrong, they are not tree frogs. They appear to be Southern Leopard Frogs, according to this link: http://www.herpsoftexas.org/view/frogs

I do not know what species Jabba The Hut was, he could have been introduced to the river by a pet owner that got tired of taking care of him, as he does not resemble any Texas frogs but looks a bit like one I saw in a science classroom one time, that was an african frog.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Leopard frogs grow long enough to jump entirely across roadways. Good eating as that is where and whom the frog leg giggers look for. The big boys.

Dallas, TX

Thank you, Kitt.

Fort Worth, TX

Well mine are little boys and my garden is posted no trespassing hunting fishing or harvesting.

(had somebody knock on the door wanting my baby pine tree one time and discovered people thought it was a free for all park)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

How did they get the notion you were a free for all park, Gypsi? Chuckl. Not sure about your large frog...

Fort Worth, TX

I am in the middle of the prairie and instead of tall weeds or mowed weeds I planted trees and had paths and flowerbeds. The horse people were riding through too, luckily none of them stepped in the hidden pond and got injured. At that time i had no fences. Back lot now has privacy fence, front lot at the corner has split rail, did wonders for everything but the stray dogs. (it's a drive on split rail no gate)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ahhh! I see.

Dallas, TX

I had to come back to tell y'all that this is such an enlightening thread. I may return it many times for the pleasure of seeing the pest control crew and Jabba The Hut.

Fort Worth, TX

my other pest control crew is gone for the year, leaving 2 or 3 egg sacs apiece. Boy was the animal control lady impressed with the giant spiders hanging off the roof by my front porch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argiope_aurantia#Eating_habits

Dallas, TX

My house is full of itty bitty spiders. I've learned to live with them and apologize when I murder some of them. None of my cats were ever interested. But I'm sick of them! Just sick of them! House was built in '48 with only minor updating. Makes it easy for those teeny tiny little spiders to come & go as they please. But could be worse.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Im getting tired of the scorpions in the house. We have found 3 this just this week. They come in when its too dry or too wet. So that is pretty much always in Tx. lol

Fort Worth, TX

I do believe in using perimeter spray for scorpions or IN THE HOUSE spiders. I don't spray in the house if I can avoid it, or even do the perimeter if I can avoid it, but I have a line and if it bites me, it has crossed that line. My dogs are on bravecto which is very helpful with fleas.

I really don't know how/where they are getting in. I even find them upstairs. The cat takes care of some of the in the house spiders but he isn't very dependable. Lol

Fort Worth, TX

I am ok with a jumping spider in each window to catch the flies, but the little creepy ones that bite humans at night I am not ok with

I can't say I've ever been bitten. I was always told their mouths are too small or fangs are too short. That's why so few spiders are a threat to humans....as you can probably tell, not much bothers me.

Fort Worth, TX

My kirby vacuum does the job, something bit me on the knee and it lasted a LOT longer than a mosquito bite so I gave my room fresh linens and a pretty fair cleaning a couple of months ago
itty bitty invisible spiders? No more bites afterward

My pest control crew looks similar to your except mine are toads. They hang out under my AC units that drain into the soil. They are right next to one of my veggie gardens. Up until a couple of weeks ago I could hear a male bull frog there also.

During really wet seasons we have frogs...they hang on the side of the house and on the windows. We had a few in May, when it was so wet, but when it dried up they didn't last.

I've had toads in my potted plants on my back deck, THAT took me by surprise. The funniest thing was when a large toad got brought in for the winter in a bromeliad. Even tho I have 2 sons 18 and 20 they wanted nothing to do with that toad. I ended up chasing it up the stairs. They aren't very good with the bugs/Arachnids either. Lol

Fort Worth, TX

I lifted a big pot in the greenhouse (where my kitchen sink drains to support the garage foundation it is attached to), about 2 weeks ago, and there were 3 leopard frogs underneath it. I lifted the tarp over the greenhouse shelf that returns water to the tank in there, growing mainly ajuga and vitex on the tray now, and there were eggs about 1/4 inch in diameter, unfortunately most fell when I lifted the rubber tarp. Some stayed. Not thinking this is a good time of year for baby frog but there is a stock tank with goldfish that will be running all winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.