weather in the garden # 139

South Hamilton, MA

52 overcast & I think we have had a shower or 2.

Thomaston, CT

High of only 52 for today...sunny & windy.....grandson has soccer match at 9......not going to be there!

South Hamilton, MA

50 I'd stay home too.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

46 and breezy

South Hamilton, MA

It is the wind here which is really making the cold felt.

Thomaston, CT

Just drove home from a family brunch.....39 & snowing...ugh! Now the sun's back out.....20s tonight.....

South Hamilton, MA

44 high for today clouds, stiff breeze

South Hamilton, MA

freezing, literally.

Thomaston, CT

The water in my rain barrel is frozen......had at least 3 nasty snow squalls yesterday.....glad it's warming up by tomorrow.....

South Hamilton, MA

into the 60s again tomorrow

Thomaston, CT

Cloudy, but warmer....need to pull up all my dead dahlias......

South Hamilton, MA

Do you keep them over the winter? how? It is 49 here, but will go up to 60 this afternoon. Overcast & it looks like we had a bit of rain.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

the cold weather this past weekend ended dahlia season

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

At least the tatarian asters are open. Next year, a collection of the native ones for this time of the year are a requirement at my house though nothing seems to attract as much bee excitement as the goldenrod which is about two weeks past. I noticed this weekend at an arboretum that "juniper berries" are attracting pollinators and the birds that eat them, owls especially.

South Hamilton, MA

53 overcast. We had less goldenrod bloom this year.

Thomaston, CT

Temp high was 72 yesterday...glorious! I don't keep my dahlia tubers, Lucy....I've tried many different ways & they either rot or shrivel.....I buy fresh tubers & also have been growing my dahlias from seed.....the seed grown ones all bloom, are tall & colorful, unlike the tuberous ones .....half didn't bloom this year!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

save my tubers every year - dig them up and remove a much dirt as possible - leave them in the sun to dry out for a few days - need to lug them in at night - and put them in plastic bags with some peat in card board boxes for the winter. Will start this process over the weekend.

South Hamilton, MA

55 I like the shorter dahlias. Of ourse I prefer the shorter irises as well. ☺

South Hamilton, MA

57 overcast

Thomaston, CT

Bill, I've tried that, but I just don't have good luck......my DH used to tell me his Gram saved them in burlap in an unheated shed...in NH.....She must have protected them somehow!

Thomaston, CT

Sunny but chilly & windy...high in the 50s....put out the bird feeder yesterday...one chickadee has found it....

South Hamilton, MA

chickadees are always the first to find a feeder. 46

Thomaston, CT

True..now the titmice are on it as well......my cedar tree was filled with Cedar Waxwings the other day.....love being able to see the birds in the trees once again! Sunny now, but clouding up soon & showers for tonight....

South Hamilton, MA

43 In the 40s all day. Red Bellied woodpecker on the suet feeder yesterday.

Thomaston, CT

I love the red-bellies....they use their beaks like swords....not even the jays get on the feeder when they are on it! High was 60 today.....colder tomorrow....

South Hamilton, MA

Good, because I prefer the wp.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

We had a little rain yesterday, a light drizzle overnight and then continueing until afternoon. Temps warmed up finally to 50 but felt warmer. I WILLNOT buy any more dwarf conifers on sale! But who can say no to Dumpty Dumpty Alberta Spruce and Big Tuna mugo pine?

Thomaston, CT

Would love to see photos of those two! Sunny & 55 for today's weather.....

South Hamilton, MA

45 up to low 50s sunny

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

It warmed up a bit today too! Now all the nurseries have stuff for 40% off. Perfect for conifers to get planted now.

South Hamilton, MA

31 It looks like it might be a shower. However our big rain is due on Wed. We need it.

Thomaston, CT

Sunny & 55 here predicted for today....yesterday was a perfect fall day....sat on the patio drinking my iced latte, & soaking up the sun!

Thomaston, CT

Very overcast...waiting for the rains!

South Hamilton, MA

53 getting windy. I worry more about high winds since many of the leaves are still on the trees. I cross my fingers about the tulip poplar near the house. They are a brittle tree & we have lost the top once. It has grown back.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Rain finally got here this afternoon. I'm waiting for the weekend weather to decide about more specialty conifers at 40% off from a nursery filled with conifers from Iseli Nursery. #1 rule is there has a be prepared bed for it or it can't come home.

South Hamilton, MA

wind & rain 59 Not worried about tree as there are a lot here.

South Hamilton, MA

66 here. still raining

Thomaston, CT

Hope we picked up at least 2" of rain.....warm, into the 70s today....yay!

South Hamilton, MA

Our rain measured at 1.38 not as much as we hoped.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Must have been about that much here too. The rain stopped by 1 pm and the sun came out, shirtsleeve weather.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.