cat pee on harwood

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Help, just stepped on a wet spot on the area rug in the living room. It was wet. I raised up the carpet and the floor is ruined. Is there anything I can do to get the stains out of the wood. Some spots on the wood are still wet and stinky. Any ideas would be appreciated.

somewhere, PA

I'm sure you've cleaned it as well as you can by now. If the wood is actually stained dark now, I'm not sure there is anything to be done. We ended up replacing a few boards where it happened in our bedroom. I saw a home improvement show where they worked to find a wood stain to make the wood dark enough to blend in with the pet stains

I hope there is a solution though so will be curious to hear if you find one!!!

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

We have had a fan on the wood floor and it seems pretty much dry now. Sure wish we could figure out something to do except refinish the entire floor. Smells better in the room now that I have cleaned it well with vinegar and dawn. Didn't realize how stinky my living room had gotten till we moved the rug out. Whew! Must have been nose blind.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Sanding it down and reseaing it might save it but I can't even get a dark water stain from a plant out of my hardwood floor. You can try peroxide or bleach but I haven't heard any real success stories. Try calling a professional floor refinisher and asking if they know of anything that works.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try to sand and then restain the area and see what happens. Can't look much worse, I'll keep yall updated with my progress.

somewhere, PA

If nothing else, you'll have removed much if not all of the smell and sealed in what's left so the kitties don't smell it and pee there again. Good luck and do report back!

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Will do that

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We were awarded close to $8,000 for damage due to pet urine from a rental property. We had a host of flooring experts come in to advise. This is what they said and what we did...
1. Animal stains and their odor are permanently imbedded. You can eliminate the odor to your nose but not to that animal or another for up to seven years. Sanding, staining and refinishing will not remove the odor in re: other felines or canines.
2. Bleaching should be done with bleaches engineered for wood floors. Home remedies might somewhat work but will further damage the floor. Professional remedies also only somewhat work but do less damage. Our flooring person did two bleachings and said that was as good as it would get. We had to stain the sixty-year-old floors in our renovated bungalow one shade lighter than ebony and you can still clearly see the urine rings.
3. Once an animal (especially a cat) urinates on a spot or in a room they will most likely continue the behavior.

When we went to court with this renter (for the first time in the fifteen years we've had the property) we had a host of photos taken before and after his occupency. The judge was a stated cat/animal lover but unsympathetic to the tennent and expressed his opinion by saying animal urine permanently devalues homes. He said he sees claims such as ours almost every day and was able to recite the same drill all our experts had stated.

Don't get me wrong. We are major animal lovers/rescuers. We had cats for years and currently have four dogs in the house. We also have over 3,000 s.f. of solid hardwood floors. My cats were, at one point or another, the problem. Dogs have occasional "accidents" or need retraining but cats are intentional and unstopable. Though I love them bunches, I won't have cats again. I am a cat-less lover now.

If you have a newer home where the floors are layed in different directions, room to room, or if you have another flooring material abutting that room, you can get away with refinishing that floor. Otherwise, if your home is older, and the floors layed in continuous fashion like ours, you can't match stain or coating at the room edge and will have to do the whole house or live with the stain.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the information maypoplaurel, even tho it didn't sound favorable. I may have to just cover the area with carpet and be done. And no more cats.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm so sorry. Just so you know...I cried when we got the news. My hope was this home would be our perfect step-down retirement restoration.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi, haven't been around for a long while. Sorry to hear about your problem.

We have an old cabin which used to have 100% wood floors, but we replaced about 1/2 of overall floors. Kitchen and bath now tile, and 1 bedroom totally new wood. We got donated "extra" from a friend's house remodel. Not enough for entire floor of all same, but the center area was laid with a diamond-like pattern (see pix) in center of room. What started out as a "fix" for not enough identical color turned into a nice feature.

Even though it is a daunting task, salvaging and refinishing existing wood (if it is thick enough "sandable wood") could be cheaper than entire new flooring. If you cannot get stain exact, then making it noticeably different, and using it for patterned area could work. Or an in-lay of totally different wood, or an "outline" around the room -- which was one thing which we considered. Depending on the dimensions of the room, you could get quite a bit of "extra wood" from around the perimeter

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.
--
Mary

Thumbnail by CutNGlass Thumbnail by CutNGlass

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.