Does Obedient plant live in North Texas?

Fort Worth, TX

Saw Obedient Plant on a propagation thread, and it is so pretty but so much has or is dying on me that I figured I should check

Dallas, TX

I'll let someone else give you a definitive answer but here's my experience. I have been to 2 Native Plant Sales in the past 3 weeks. I think Obedient Plant was sold at both. I think I've seen it swapped at an RU or 2. Is it successful or obedient? Don't know.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

yes, I did plant Obedient Plant a while ago and now it is gone from my garden.
SUPER INVASIVE in my garden Zone 8a.
This plant would shoot out roots 25' ... yes 25 feet away to create more plants.
It took me years to get read of it all.
Sadly because the flowers were very nice.

Fort Worth, TX

oh well and thank you for the warning! that is NOT obedient. I got rid of canna lilies due to their high reproductive rate, 25 ft shoots are way more than I can handle.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't had trouble with this plant, it does spread as many of them do, but it likes a lot of water,
I would say it is the ideal bog plant.
http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/species.php?id_plant=PHDI7

Fort Worth, TX

so in my near desert prairie conditions it would be obedient as long as I don't put it in the bog on my pond?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It probably wouldn't make it in the prairie.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is another link http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/23/. I planted it years ago. I planted it in a nursery pot with the bottom removed so it wouldn't spread. That garden is long gone and I never had a problem with it spreading but I didn't water it a bunch.

Fort Worth, TX

One of my ponds has a nice little bog area though. hmmm

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

nightmares ... seriously ... good luck

Fort Worth, TX

Texas Star Hibiscus clumps get HUGE on land, but I have had one bogged since 1999 and it stays manageable. 7 feet tall but I can still pick it up. (I am not a large person). It is possible I could do this with obedient plant as well. with 3 ponds I have plenty of room to experiment, and the ground out here is like concrete, many plants will not live in my loosened flowerbeds even.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

The DG link has a bunch of reviews, that show a bunch of different reviews. It can be invasive but not in all circumstances.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

My complaint is that it blooms so late in the season. In my flower garden that means August. Yes, it is invasive. If a seed finds a vacant spot only 1 inch square, it will fill in.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It is aggressive and it does spread, but it's easy to control and pluck out. It also requires a lot of water. I've been systematically removing it from my gardens. It is pretty in clumps, though.

Fort Worth, TX

anything requiring a lot of water doesn't tend to spread well here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.