Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

My 2 papaya plants did not fruit this year. I will place them in the greenhouse and hope I can keep it warm enough to keep them alive.

Thumbnail by weeding
noonamah, Australia

Did they flower at all?

No flowers this year. Maybe next year. This is the red Papaya.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

May be this will help. I discovered this a few years ago, as Papaya seemed finicky when it came to fertilizers, until I tried this on it. Wow, they literally freak out loving it, bloom and fruit, growing huge. It's space City Hibiscus fertilizer, designed by the Hibiscus society here of the same name.
The large Papaya was one of those lucky two winters it never froze. The 3rd winter got it though.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison Thumbnail by rjuddharrison Thumbnail by rjuddharrison Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

rjuddharrison, If it lives thru the winter in the greenhouse I will give it a try.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good luck. I don't water the ones I put in the green house much during the winter.

It's getting cold and I think it's blooming.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice! I'm dismayed. One of the bonuses about Papayas is that they are relatively pest free. This winter some field mice have developed a taste for Papaya leaf salad. I noticed all the top leaves gone, a couple evenings later I busted the little sucker loudly sawing the leaves away. I want to throw out poison, but my cat is quite the hunter albeit failing me with this intruder so far. It also crowed 40 seedlings in the greenhouse.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

I have a bad problem with the mice during the summer. They love my tomatoes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.