It's fallshould i cut it back?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is a "Lady Betty Balfour" Clematis. I believe it is in the #1 pruning category,
which means I can cut it back all the way down in spring.
It blooms profusely in early summer and sometimes a bit more in later summer.

Right now it looks like C---. It is all overgrown with dead leaves with some fresh
leaves showing due to the cooler weather.

I would like to cut it back as i am cleaning up my beds at this time.
Should I? Would that "mess with" the plants "clock"?
Would it be wrong if i did cut it back now?

Thanks for your opinions. Gita

1--Here it is blooming in early summer (2014).

2--Here it is looking like a mess this fall--(2015)

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Gita,
I just saw this post. Your clematis is beautiful. I don't know what you ended up doing. I did a little research. Your clematis is in prune group 3. These you cut down to 12 inches above the ground in early Spring or late winter--around the last week of February to the first part of March.
Group 3s are my favorite-so easy to prune.
I probably wouldn't cut it back now. The foliage will protect the base of the plant. Or, maybe if it's bothering you, cut it back half way.

It seems this website has practically died. I don't see a lot of people that used to make comments. Anyone know where Pirl is? She used to comment a lot.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Birder--
So good to hear from you! Thanks for the advice. I knew it had to be cut back
in spring to a foot or so--but was wondering what ti do with this mess now.

You gave me the Christmas Cactus cuttings??? Right? I forget....
Well-if you did--it is now a full-sized plant and has bloomed so pretty.

Pictures are from last year... Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

So, what did you decide to do with your Clematis? Some of mine are still blooming! I know! It's Nov. 1st!

I haven't brought any of my plants in yet. I'm going to cut back my Lantanas tomorrow and then, dig them up and take them indoors in about 10 days. All of my geraniums in my window boxes are still blooming like they don't know it's November! Everything is so pretty.

Your clematis looks like HFYoung. I have one of those, and it's a really prolific bloomer and tough. It blooms for a long time.

Yes, I am the one that sent the Christmas Cactus. I really like mine. You never see that one in stores for sale.

My Thanksgiving and Christmas Cactus (6 maybe?) are all outside yet. I noticed the Thanksgiving Cactus are getting lots of buds!

Gita, do you think I could give them a turn, so I would have blooms on both sides since they are still out doors?

Good to hear from you too.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Birder---Just got home from work...Sundays at the HD can be soooo slow...

I have not done anything to the Clematis. may just let it go for the winter.
I KNOW it is a "Lady Betty Balfour" -because I have the tag. I got it from
Brushwood Nursery. Nice Folks there.....very helpful.

All my CC's have buds on the tips as well. I think as long as there are only tight buds
you may get away with rotating your plants. BUT--I cannot be sure! I don't know if
the tiny flower buds do any "light orientation" or not. I think that mostly applies
to opening-to-bloom buds. They try to turn to the light source and, supposedly, fall off.
Better to have full blooms on one side than puny ones on the other.

Your weather seems so spring-like. Ours is too the last couple of weeks.
Mornings are cold afternoons are in mid 60's or 70. I don't know how to dress for work?
I brought my CC.s in after the 2 weekends we had light frost predicted.
I panicked and brought them all in. Wasn't about to take them back out....too much work.

I wish you and yours a very happy Thanksgiving--in case we do not chat before that...

Gita

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Birder, pirl is now posting mainly on allthingsplants.

I also have a clematis that is blooming and others that need to be cleaned up. Some are quite messy so I might prune out some of the dead parts now, even though they're in group 3.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.