Digging up and overwintering Dahlias.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Someone, in a Post here, added a You-Tue link on how to overwinter Dahlia roots.

If you can find it and re-post it--I would be grateful.
This lady was showing how she wintered over her Dahlias and also how she could
divide them in the spring.

Please help me find this You-Tube clip--as I have friend who needshelp on this.

Thanks---Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey--I did not mean to start this as a new Thread--I just wanted to add a Post
toan existing Thread...I must have hit a wrong button...somewhere...

So--ignore it if you wish--or keep on adding your experiences in this topic.

Anyway--this may be as good a topic as anything...So--keep on posting.....
We all are digging up this and that and wondering how to do it and what
is the est way to over-winter something.

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

2 years ago, when we got ATP dahlia roots, I bought some baskets from the dollar store... the sides were mostly holes, like a little laundry basket, but the bottom was solid, until I drilled a few big holes in it with a hole saw (drill attachment). I filled them with potting mix and added my dahlias. Then I dug holes and planted the baskets. I can't say they perform outstandingly with this arrangement, but they may just have needed more compost/fertilizer than they got during the growing season.

However! They are very easy to find (baskets have their rim showing above ground level) and lift in fall. I cut back the dahlia stalks, stack the baskets just as they are, and store them in the garage over winter.

If there's interest, I can add dahlias to our spring lily group buy... :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We have a friend (Pres. of the Hosta Society) who uses those small wire trash baskets from Dollar General for planting. He does it to protect his prizes from moles, but the idea is the same.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Those wire baskets would be good for protecting tulip bulbs and the like from voles, also. Just be sure to top them off with a layer of sharp gravel to deter little paws.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That's a great idea Critter. This year I planted mine in nursery pots and then planted the pot. It made digging super easy but I still go through my ritual of prepping for storage.

Gita, to answer your original question, there are different dahlia storage methods that work for different people. I learned that you have to do your own thing. Take what others say as advice and try it but it might not work for you. Doing as Critter suggested might not work for me. I clean all the soil off mine, dunk them in a bleach bath, put cinnamon on the cut stems and any wounds, then put them in a ziploc bag with dry peat moss. They should be stored in an environment with temps 40-50 degrees over the winter. You should check them periodically to make sure none are rotting and if they are, cut off the rotting tuber. If they grow any mildew, spray with bleach solution and if they are looking desiccated, I spray with a bleach solution.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Different ideas are good. Whatever works!

I do not grow any dahlias--but, years ago--i did.
I had an elderly cousin that lived in Oregon--the state with unbelievable gardens.
She grew amazing Dahlias. It is from her I learned how to overwinter them
and how to plant them the next year. So--that is what I know to pass on to others.
G.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sequoia, I suspect your method would result in fewer losses... I was happy to have most of mine come back, but a couple didn't. "Put the whole pot in the garage" is the lazy way of overwintering dahlias & caladiums!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't been doing it for decades like some but in the few years I've been doing it I only lost one tuber clump and that was the first year when I was testing the waters. This is the method I've used the last 3 winters and it's been very successful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.