Does anyone listen to books on audio CDs?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I've purchased several on eBay where I can buy them, mostly used, quite reasonably. I'd like to get "In The Heart of Sea" but it's a little pricey right now.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I've done some, from the library, when I had a really boring mindless computer job; they were a sanity saver! Our library buys a lot of them and has a lot on the sale shelf right now, huge bargain if they are books you want, mostly fiction.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I like listening while I'm working around the house or taking a break from other things. I'm not much of a gadget person but even I can operate a CD player. lol.

Thank heavens for CDs! E audiobooks ( and e boooks) require a lot of steps, it is so hard to explain to people.

The narrator can make some really good. Some I liked:
Personal History of Rachel Dupree by Ann Weisgarber
Cooked Seed by Anchee Min
Dexter series (narrated by author jeff Lindsey)

Sorry, it has been awhile, I don't remember any more.

Laurel has used the Playaways, our library lends those also.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playaway

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I haven't used the Playaways. Our library has them and it looks like they are popular. There's a limit of 5 now. They also have some books on audio CD.

I have The Scarlet Letter, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Short Stories of Mark Twain, Great American Short Stories, and quite a few Agatha Christie/Miss Marple CD books.

I'll look into your recommendations. Thanks.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I would love to do more books on tape but got frustrated when the units kept coming up damaged. The Playaways are a fantastic concept. However, if you check out a book it's easy to evaluate its condition but if your Playaway or CD is defective you probably won't know. I had to leave off two books midstream. Guess the answer is to buy them though I like the idea of library loans better.

Cville- any favorite authors I can look for? We have a lot of fiction and mystery CDs being deleted for lack of space and low use. I pulled two sets of a Faye Kellerman book out today. We may buy a number of copies for popular authors becasue of high initial demand, but after some months, there's not much interest.

Owensboro, KY

Sounds like a very old method, but that's how I listened to books on my student exchange travels. At that time, I was also helped by social networks that suggested how to travel correctly to other countries. The article https://unusualplaces.org/guide-for-students-ways-social-media-can-help-you-travel/ has more on this. It will be very useful for everyone who is preparing to travel.

This message was edited May 4, 2021 8:29 AM

Seattle, WA

Yes, I really like audio books when I'm cooking. Although I don't buy CDs anymore. I do listen to the New Yorker podcasts - of authors reading their own work published in the magazine, or works of other authors published in the magazine. The readings are followed by some great discussion; not the sort one would generally find online; these are serious, piercing discussions, albeit very accessible and without jargon.

Nicholson Baker's The Anthologist involves the narrator listening to poems of Mary Oliver, Auden, and Ted Roethke (among many others) in his car, in his study, and in his bed. The novel is a personal favorite for this reason. (See: https://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/books/review/Orr-t.html)

I also listen to Stephen West's "Philosophize This" podcast - he's a gentle and extremely intelligent podcaster. Does a bit of analytic philosophy, continental, critical culture studies, etc. Very eclectic. I've been reading John Macionis' "Society" (https://www.bartleby.com/textbooks/society-the-basics-14th-edition-14th-edition/9780134206325/solutions) since I found out about the podcast, and it's good to shift between the two.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.