Wildlife in the Mid-Atlantic

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I thought I should start a new thread so that we don't have to go to page 3 to read the new posts! Even though the weather is unseasonably warm, there's less yardening to do and more time to observe the fauna that enjoys our flora (and peanuts!). We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1407888/

This message was edited Dec 10, 2015 8:37 PM

Thumbnail by Muddy1
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thank you. I am having a hard time navigating the new set up. Not liking it so far.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm not finding it as difficult to use now that I discovered that I can click on "MID-ATLANTIC GARDENING" at the top of the page to see all of the MAG threads.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think (hope!) they'll fix it so "skip to new" works correctly again. That should help!

Even with the warmer weather this afternoon, the Flyby Cafe is still doing a brisk business. Joyanna and I birdwatch over breakfast. She has the "who's who" at the feeders down pretty well, too! She spotted a girl goldfinch this morning... She said it was the first one she'd seen at the feeders, just the boys had been coming.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Have any of you ever done a Christmas tree for the birds? I would really like to do one this year out on the conservatory deck. Popcorn and cranberry garlands, bird seed ornaments, pine cones with peanut butter, etc... I've seen so many ideas on Pinterest. So many ideas, so little time lol.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I miss seeing a date by the posts. If there is one--I have yet to find it...
It would help after one "skips to new".....

In the "old way"--each post had a date next to it.

Slowly learning my way around on here....my pea-brain is too old to grasp everything...
G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Aspenhill, We have done some of those birdseed ornaments when the kids were younger. It was great fun. Been years since we did that. They can be pretty time consuming. We had gone to Longwood and they have a tree that they do that with and they handed out papers with instructions on how to make all the ornaments.
Oh Gita, if you look in the right hand corner of each post (grey box) you will see either dates, or markings 1W, 3 D, 4H, 5 S. Those are when the post was made. weeks, days, hours or seconds.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Rick-
That IS NOT a date!!!!
Your post, just above, has 34m on it. Is that 34 minutes ago? From WHAT?
UGH. G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

34m = 34 minutes

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, 34 Minutes from the last post.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow, I'm impressed that Joyanna can recognize a female goldfinch! I don't see many goldfinches of either sex nowadays, although years ago I would get 6 or so on a regular basis.

My daughter had an interesting idea for a Christmas tree for the birds - she suggested putting red lights on it and leaving them on all night to provide a warmer roosting place for them (red because they're not as bright and wouldn't keep the birds awake or expose them to predators).

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Clever idea!!!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I might give it a try. I probably should look for red lights when we get our tree, hopefully today. Yeah, I know we're late; Christmas sneaks up on me more and more every year.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Muddy the newer lights don't produce much if any heat. You will need the older type with the larger bulbs.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Good point. Maybe it's not such a good idea after all. I can just see a fire starting because dry leaves landed on the hot bulbs.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

The bluebirds are back! Today was the first time I've seen them since the end of nesting season. I made up a batch of peanut butter and suet for them in the hope that they'll stick around.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm back from South Carolina (again!) and am looking forward to settling down to watch the birds in my back yard.

I bought a bird feeder for my mom while I was down there so she can watch the birds and squirrels from her favorite chair.

Washington, DC

Anyone have a good suet recipe? My last few batches were too crumbly to put in a suet feeder.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Do you make it from scratch? If so, I'm very impressed!
You could add some natural (sugar and salt-free) peanut butter to help hold it together.

I mix 2 store-bought suet cakes - one regular and one with hot pepper - with enough peanut butter to hold it together. I put some of the mix back into the suet packages and refrigerate them so I can put them in suet holders. The rest gets smeared on suet "logs".

This message was edited Dec 31, 2015 10:52 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Even the little mini incandescents have some warmth. I've used them to warm seeds trays. (maybe not too wise) Course, that not a whole lot of warmth out in open air. (shrug)
I don't think my thread watcher is picking up on threads that I post to-- Have to hit the watch thread button.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

My thread watcher link either doesn't work, or takes more time than I am willing to wait. I have started to select forums instead and then the MAF threads I am watching seem to come up.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Muddy--
I just realized the same thing...sort of....DAHHH!
I keep looking for new Posts but there never seem to be any.

SO--I tried clicking on the MAF Forum--and then on the Thread I wanted to see--
and had this AHA! moment.
NOTHING new posted will show up unless you check the Threads in the MAF.

Now I can catch up with recent replies. Am I goofy or am I right?
G.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, I do the same thing you're doing. It seems faster that way. So, I'll go with "right"!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images