Winter chat

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Linda. Where is everybody?

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

I was thinking the same thing. I hope they are all staying warm.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Me too. It's a lot more difficult to find certain threads on DG now and I think some forums have been removed altogether.

It's very cold here this morning but no sleet or snow. We haven't had any this winter and I hope it stays that way. I'm not a big fan of winter. :(

I don't mind the winter, but these old bones are saying otherwise.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Oh my, Cville those are beautiful. I also love those orchids. I have a gardenia blooming in the garden room. It is wonderful.

It is stupid cold here and WINDY. Poor little birds are eating me out of house and home but I don't know how they make it.
high 20 low 2 like I said stupid cold !

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

We are under a winter advisory for tomorrow. Really glad that I took a sick day tomorrow. Will hopefully go back on Wednesday and do a 12 but better than missing tomorrow with no pay.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, happ.

Good to see you, kat. Not much snow left here. I need to go to the store tomorrow so I hope even more is gone by then.

Stay safe and warm.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

oooo! That Amaryllis is so beautiful! It certainly is butterfly-like. I got a red one for Xmas, but it has finished now. BUT-a new stalk coming up. Yeah!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Crystal. I took a few more photos of the Butterfly Amaryllis this morning. It's the first one I've had. But it may not be the last. :) I'm smitten with it. I like other Amaryllis as well, just didn't get any others this year.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm here thanks to Carole for the bread crumb to follow boy am I dizzy from going in circles for a while! (((((hugs))))) it is colder than a witches you know what here..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

At least a few of us are still here. I think some other others are lost or frustrated with it all.

Glad you found us Debra.
I hear ya on the frustrated.

Chiefs Lost! booo hsss/// oh well that is football LOL on to the movies, catch you all tomorrow.. (hugs)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

KY Wildcats lost their basketball game too. Ugh. They should have won that one. :)

Hi found you all again, it wasn;t showing up in my watched. I think they must of lost our 'watched' list so we need to click on the eyeball to put it in watch mode again.

Great pictures Cville, nice to see some blooms!

We are cold cold cold and got enough snow to make everything beautiful white, but not enough to make you scream as you drive down the back country roads...lol

My amaryllis are growing like crazy but not blooming yet, shouldn't be long. I may have the biggest mess, I had lots of bulbs in single pots, so I grabbed them all up and put them in like 2 pots so I may have the most garish color combinations known to humanity...lol When they bloom I can make and move.

I did buy a beautiful orchid at Home Depot for 10.00 on a warmer winter day. It is blooming so beautifully.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Joyce. Looking forward to seeing yours in bloom. They will be beautiful no matter what the combination.

I haven't had an orchid in a long time. I'll check at Walmart next time I'm there. They are winter bloomers, right?

I'll be in the basement all day today, it is 17 degrees outside and too cold to go out and ramble around. I have one amaryllis bulb, have no clue what I am supposed to do with it, I'll take a pic and u all can tell me what to do. I'll be coming up to refresh my tea, and upload pics as I move stuff around down there. Stay Warm!

As far as I know, plant the root end of the amaryllis bulb about half way into a pot of soil, water and let it go. I have had several, but only had 2 or 3 bloom. They do like to be covered all the way under soil.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's what I do too, Linda. It sometimes takes the bulbs awhile to send up a bloom stalk. Everybody's growing conditions are different.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I had about 20 amaryllis before I gave them all to a sweet Mennonite lady in IN. I'm not an expert, but Linda's right, plant them so they're about halfway, 2/3rds of the bulb in the soil, put somewhere bright, as they love the light. Light watering, and as soon as you give them their first drink, they'll send up leaves in no time! If they are in a place where it's not real sunny, their leaves will be longer, but I didn't notice any difference in the blooms, really. Most of my windows are shaded with the porch roof, so as soon as it was warm enough in the Spring to set them outside, they really took off again and bloomed over and over. I usually left them outside, watering when they needed it, until Fall started cooling down. Then I just left them dry out and cut the leaves back when they turned yellow. Stored them in the same pots, dry soil, in the basement (stays about 55 degrees over the winter) and left them until Christmas or so. Some of them would sprout leaves before I brought them up, so I figured that was their way of telling me to 'get with it' and bring them up for light. They are a pretty and fun flower to have, I just had too many and was downsizing the flowers that I had to store over the winter. The Mennonite lady saw some pictures that I had sent Mom of my doubles and different colors, and commented that she had never had anything like it. So, all my beauties are now living in her downstairs windows, she was very appreciative!
There are some forums here for Amaryllis, you may find it fun to read through their postings and look at the beauties they grow...

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Good afternoon,
It is trying to snow here but the ground is still wet so nothing is sticking. They are calling for a dusting to an inch depending location but the killer is that it is supposed to get down to 9 tonight, It has already fallen from 40 to 29.7 since I got home from work at 1:30..

Hope that everybody is having a good day.

Kathy

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Kathy, from another Kathy! I travel to IN on 32 from Marietta OH when I go back to visit family. Otway is just a jump off that..
I just walked outside to the porch and saw the huge snowflakes drifting down across the yard. Very pretty, but don't think we'll get an accumulation. Makes me want to embroider some snowflakes...... lol

Glad to hear your all finding us a again.

Kathy/Katgrove, how are you doing?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Kizmo, Kat, and LK.

I leave my Amaryllis in the same pots year around.

It has gotten bitterly cold here too. I am NO fan of winter.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Doing better Linda Kay, just taking one day at a time. It was 5 above when I left for work this morning and only 13 when I got home so it will be a bitter cold night tonight.;

Hello Kathy, glad to have you join us, Hope that you enjoy DG's as much as I have,

Kathy

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Brrrr, can we send some of this chilly weather to some other area of the country??? I have 2 heaters plus turned the thermostat up, and I'm still chilled. Soup for lunch didn't help very much..
Kat, I have a few forums that I check every now and again, but these ladies got me hooked in their quilt threads...lol

Anyone have New garden plans yet?

With my hip surgery next month, I think I will have to let mother nature takes its course. The raised beds should be OK. I will have to sweet talk hubby into fertilizing the angel trumpet when they start growing.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm still browsing thru my new seed catalogs at the moment... Brent & Becky's has lots of awesome goodness for my beds....

wish I could say I'm planning my gardens, but with the re-do of the patio and possibly the foundation, I am just going to say, I got my gardens going with perennials, and anything else is going to be in a container LOL
Good luck on the surgery, wish I could come down and help you.. Linda.
And, Hi Kat and Kathy!
I am going to have lots of things this Spring to trade, that is for sure..the basement Garden last night.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

We were -4 this morning and awful cold all day. Not much wind which is a saving grace, if there is one..lol

Debra pictures are beautiful.

some of My amaryllis bulbs have multiplied.

I bought this orchard at Home Depot for 10.00

Thumbnail by happgarden

Joyce, that is beautiful!

-4? Please bundle up if you have to go out.

We hit 65 today.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

brrr, -4 makes all my bones rattle... My FIL bought me 2 orchids years back. The first one was dead within a couple months, so he bought me a book and another one.. That one I managed to keep 2 yrs, but never got it to bloom. Houseplants like pothos and spider plants I can do - orchids, not at all. Jealous of those who can baby those lovely things to bloom, as they are wonderful to look at!

Thank you all. Now I have lost orchids, but I also have had orchids for years and years. It is like any plant some make it and some don't. Don't be afraid of them, most people baby them too much. They are really tough.

Yesterday was horrible, having a heat wave today 25....rofl. Followed by snow...snowing pretty good right now. OM 65 OM ... ;)

I have never tried an orchid. I can grow most outdoor plants, but have very little room for house plants.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I had an orchid a few years ago. I don't know what happened to it. The card advised putting a few ice cubes on the surface of the bark and letting them melt. That was supposed to provide adequate water.

Joyce, what is OM 65 OM?

I think she is saying, Oh My, at my 65 degrees.

SHE IS MEDITATING AND HUMMING THE BUDDAH ohhhmmmm 65 DEGREES OHMMMM ( LOL) SORRY CAPSLOCK, i AM SNEAKING IN FROM WORK. IT IS REALLY YUK OUTSIDE, MISTING AND SOME FREEZING DRIZZLE, NO SNOW LIKE SHE HAS UP THERE..

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

colder than blazes here today.. low of 7. Contractor showed up at 10am for porch estimate and by the time I got back inside, my face looked like it was sunburned! lol
So I put the ham into the oven to bake, and warmed the house right up! Hubby said I need to find something else to bake tomorrow...
Weather is calling for upwards of 7"+ Friday-Saturday with winds, so I ran to buy milk and bread... rofl, it's an ongoing joke around here in winter, all you have to do is mention snow and the stores are full of people stocking up. I made the mistake of joking that I was out of milk once when I was in IN, on my day off we had 24" of snow. My best friends boys showed up at my door that afternoon with 2 gallons of milk and a loaf of bread! They had big, monster type trucks that would pretty much go anywhere, and they were driving around town delivering food and such to people in need. I didn't really need any milk, but my bestie decided she'd send me some anyway..

That is a great friend!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.