Quilt repair

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

one of the "petals" in my 75-year-old quilt has a a small tear, possibly from being moved several times. It is not on a seam line. I thought I might just glue it back into place because it's small. I have some rubber cement glue and thought of trying that but I dunno...... I expect the rubber cement may let loose if I wash it but since it hangs on the wall, I have only vacuumed it once or twice. Is this OK or do I need to buy a special glue?

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Just stumbled across this post and hope you haven't done anything yet. There is a product used to adhere cloth using a fine webbed sheet, A piece is cut to size and it is placed between the fabrics (in this case, the top of the quilt and the center fabric) and carefully ironed. This bonds the fabrics. The one I use is called "Misty Fuse" and is a very fine web. Hope this helps.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I went to a fabric and while they didn't have Misty Fuse, they had another brand so I used it and it worked! You can't even see where the tear was. Thanks so much!............Betty

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Glad to know I was able to help you with a suggestion. Glue would have a real mess.
Merry Christmas.....
Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images