Planting herbs in pots

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi,
In the past I've always planted my herbs in beds but keep running into problems such as two herbs mixing it up or the Iris being crowded out so this year I want to plant my herbs in nursery containers buried in the ground up to about 3" or 4" from the top of the container. Hopefully this might contain all the over zealous competition. Does anyone have any suggestions for soil mix or just general suggestions on pot size or just general ideas. I do have enough 7 gallon nursery pots that I think might work.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is a website on herbs in containers.
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/vegetable/herbs/best-herbs-for-container-gardens/

Hi Weeding,
Thank you for directing me to the website on herbs in containers. Looks like a good site and from the looks of it I'll enjoy using the information from this site.
Thanks again.
Barb

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I usually grow basil and chives in pots or sometimes 5 gallon buckets that I get from work, They do great for me.Kathy

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Herbs dont generally like a rich soil- it depletes their aromas and flavors. Mine do best when above ground soil is arranged- my raised beds drain so fast...this is fern leaf dill, rosemary(2), and an african blue basil struggling to stay up with the dill- as well as a few leftover onion chives you cant see, then the new cilantro sprouts are also in a slightly raised bed

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is one of my mints that is sort of planted in a pot. It is in a ceramic chimney pipe, in a raised bed that is sitting on top of the ground that is lined with cardboard and weed cloth. It loves being plated in the chimney pipe as I am constantly having to cut it back.

Thumbnail by weeding

I'm posting an update to growing my herbs in pots. I used the 7 gal. nursery pots that I had on hand. Ran a dripper line up through one of the drainage holes in each of the pots for watering. Finally got everything in around the end of September and used a mulch/soil combination for the planting mix. Kittriana made note in her post that herbs generally do not like rich soil so followed her suggestion. The herbs sat and sulked for about 3 weeks then just took off. Doing lovely as my little Squirrel can attest to. He/she loves the Parsley and Cilantro but leaves everything else alone. I'll see how things go come spring.
Thank you to everyone who shared their experiences with me. Barb

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Glad they did well, thyme I even raise above the raised bed. Tried one thyme (creeping lemon thyme) in succulent soil. Does great thru winter, but stalled come the 80* winds, so may find a place in ground next few days.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2018 5:37 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Fingers too fast, pic of thyme( var creeping lemon), dill (volunteer fernleaf), flat leaf parsley, a crimson clover, and the fennel is just out of sight.

Thumbnail by kittriana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.